Door Panel Removal - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Taxman
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Tan

Gallery: 0
Default Door Panel Removal

My internal trunk release on a 2005 Chevy Malibu LS is not working after getting the vehicle detailed.

I am trying to remove the door panel and have been following the directions here:

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...el_Malibu.html

Not shown here are two small plastic plugs on the side of the door that have to be removed.

I found the screws that were right behind the handle no problem and removed those.

I also removed the door handle trim, the windows and mirrors unit and popped off the trunk release as well.

Everything went well right up until I got to the part about using the putty knife.

No matter how hard I pulled I could not get the door off? Is there another set of screws somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
elcompaLalo
CMF Veteran Member
2008 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 5
Default Re: Door Panel Removal

Don't think so. Those clips can be a pain to unfasten sometimes. Double check you removed every screw pictured, if so then stick some sort of pry tool in the lowest part of the door panel (that way any small scuff or mark isn't made in an obvious area). Pry just enough to get your hand in there and just pull/yank hard!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Taxman
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Tan

I should add that the link shown is for the older version Malibus and not the newer styles of the 2005 and other years. There is no screw behind the door handle as shown and the two other plugs that I refer to on the side of the door may or may not have to be released from the metal.

Mike
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Does the panel wrap around and makes an L over the edge of the door frame? If so, "the two other plugs" have to come out. They are there to keep the lip flush.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Taxman
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Tan

The two plugs are out. There are white clip ons to the metal door frame that are not hanging on at all.

I think maybe there are just clips to hook it onto the door frame but still not completely sure.

I was hoping someone here has done the job before.

Mike
Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Taxman
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Tan

This picture was taken off this website:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2005-c...-vt134515.html

And more easily shows the set up for the new models vehicles. I wish I could see the door frame a little more closely so that I could see if those plastic clips attached to the metal door frame need to come off or not. They appear to be fastened with two sided tape as well and do not budge with a putty knife.

Mike
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.