Wipers stopped working? Dad's Malibu needs your wisdom - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
booey1979
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Wipers stopped working? Dad's Malibu needs your wisdom

Ok so this is kinda of a complicated problem on my pop's 2005 malibu maxx, v6. The wiper controls no longer work

The issue: I guess my pop's battery had been going out, and he had been jump starting it (as opposed to buying a new battery). Anyway.... his mechanic stated that the constant jump starting may have shorted out something in the wiper's electronics.

Soooooooo long story... the mechanic did a mechanical rig of where he attached to the battery to power the wiper motors and that way the wipers moved, however when you try to turn the wiper's on the normal way, it does not work (by the way, he jury-rigged the control using a switch from radio shack and the car nearly burned down, I guess he wires that could not handle the current so that's besides the point). Needless to say, the car no longer has functioning wipers.

No, there are no blown fuses... Does anyone know what I should look for? Perhaps buying a wiper control arm (the one on the steering wheel)? I think we are at this point where we are going to try swapping out parts and see if that fixes it. Maybe the relays (where is that located for the wiper if anyone knows).

I'm pretty comfortable working on cars (at turbo-ed my old eclipse w/ electronics and guages, mods for my 350z, etc...). So I'll do the work, but can anyone help me see what needs to be check? Thank you in advance!
booey1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Wipers stopped working? Dad's Malibu needs your wisdom

Start with getting a schematic for the car and finding out how the system works. Once you know how it should you are in a better place to figure out why it doesn't.

It could be something as simple as a relay, a terminal working its way out of a connector, or a brush in the motor. Or another issue.

Whatever that mechanic did may have made it worse, even though I'm sure he meant well. Come back and let us know what you've found out and if you need more help.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
booey1979
CMF Rookie Member

hmmmm good point. any leads to where I can find a schematic of the malibu, 2005 model?
booey1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Try http://cid-54465800aad91b49.office.l...b/va200931.pdf for the 2005 Malibu 3.5L front wiper/washer circuit. For fuses and relays, see the owner's manual at http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.c...ibu_owners.pdf.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.