SNOW/ICE handling? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
ChallengedOne
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Silver ICE

Gallery: 0
Default SNOW/ICE handling?

Probably will be purchasing a 2010 LTZ V6 on monday (tomorrow), was curious of winter handling.

Any imput much appreciated
ChallengedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
JasonZ34
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Gallery: 3
Default Re: SNOW/ICE handeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengedOne View Post
Probably will be purchasing a 2010 LTZ V6 on monday (tomorrow), was curious of winter handling.

Mine did fine with snow & ice in mountain roads. The optional mud flaps are nice for protecting the car, but the cup design collects a lot of ice. If you get them you'll have to knock some stuff out every so often.
JasonZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I have the original Eagle LS2 tires. They suck if the pavement is less than dry, and they aren't all that good dry. Last winter we had several inches of snow and I was actually surprised at the level of traction. They didn't break loose like I thought they would.

As for the car, it handled the conditions just fine. Front drive is best in snow because the engine is on the drive wheels, giving them their best chance at traction. So long as you don't turn off the traction control and stomp it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengedOne View Post

Also, you have Traction Control and Stabilitrak which are excellent features for Winder Handling. And you have Antilock Brakes, so you have all the advanced features for optimal winter handling. I believe the LTZ has the better winter tires. I have the LT2 with the Firestone Tires. They slip quite a bit on wet surfaces. The Eagle Tires that the LTZ comes with should be better for traction.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Cool Re: SNOW/ICE handeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Also, you have Traction Control and Stabilitrak which are excellent features for Winder Handling. And you have Antilock Brakes, so you have all the advanced features for optimal winter handling. I believe the LTZ has the better winter tires. I have the LT2 with the Firestone Tires. They slip quite a bit on wet surfaces. The Eagle Tires that the LTZ comes with should be better for traction.
If the 2010 LTZ comes with Eagle LS2 tires then my post says it all already. They aren't premium tires at all.

The biggest thing I did to improve the handling in wet on mine was to up the inflation from 30 on the decal to 38 front/36 rear. Handles much better wet or dry, feels much safer, and wanders much less.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
ChallengedOne
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Silver ICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
If the 2010 LTZ comes with Eagle LS2 tires then my post says it all already. They aren't premium tires at all.

The biggest thing I did to improve the handling in wet on mine was to up the inflation from 30 on the decal to 38 front/36 rear. Handles much better wet or dry, feels much safer, and wanders much less.
thanks guys my dilema is too keep my 4x4 suv and buy the LTZ or trade in and have the one vehicle. This forum helps. I did have the vibration that is in the other posts in my test drive though....
ChallengedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
redneck70
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite

I have to agree with DrivenDaily, I have the Eagle LS2 tires on my '09 and I found them to be a horrible winter tire. Goodyear classifies them as a performance tire not an all season tire if that gives you any idea of how they will handle in snow. I found them to be pretty good in dry conditions and the rain, but I'm going to get rid of them before it snow's this year.
New ride 2014 Chevy Traverse Crystal Red Tintcoat 2LT AWD

Last edited by redneck70; 09-13-2010 at 03:10 PM.
redneck70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
biff
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red

I live up north and got rid of the Eagle LS2's right away, they're terrible. Put on Goodyear Tripletread's and the car did great in the winter. It's pretty solid now and with the ESC it does good.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
08chevymalibultz
Banned

Question Re: SNOW/ICE handeling?

We have talked about this in the past and that is fine with me. New owners will most likely ask just like we have in the past. All I can say is GOODYEAR ASSURANCE TRIPLETRED OR HANKOOK OPTIMO H727. This is a must in winter driving with the LTZ Model. (If not one of those two tires than a Winter Snow Tire) This will correct your wander problem too. The wet "rain" driving is awsome with the tripletred tires. I don't know why GM keeps putting those Goodyear LS2 tires on the Malibu or the Impala?

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 09-21-2010 at 12:07 AM.
08chevymalibultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
jeg1
CMF Junior Member

I drive in snow and ice a lot and the Malibu is not bad. I Was looking at a G8 when I bought the Malibu but just couldn't buy a rear drive with the snow we get.

2010 Malibu LTZ V6
2011 Silverado EXT 4X4
2011 StreetGlide
jeg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.