SNOW/ICE handling? - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
ChicagoMalibu2009
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu LS
Blue Met./Titanium

Gallery: 17
Default Re: SNOW/ICE handeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ34 View Post
Mine did fine with snow & ice in mountain roads. The optional mud flaps are nice for protecting the car, but the cup design collects a lot of ice. If you get them you'll have to knock some stuff out every so often.
I have the hankook still on my stock setup which im planning to use for winter. When out of tread then im getting winter tires.

Jason, spray the mud guards down with "Fluid Film" before the winter and every month or so. You shouldn't have that problem anymore. It is messy -- but works I also have the stock mud guards but that stuff is good for alot of different tasks. Again a relic of my love of excellent multi-use products.

2.4L 4cyl. ECOTEC LE5
Ext: Transition Blue Met./Golden Pewter Met.
Int: Titanium, Weathertech Mats, Neoprene Covers
Stock Rims/Tires Uncovered (Summer = Borbet Type LS)
EBC Slotted Rotors w/ Redstuff Pads
Full Mud Guards - Clear Door Edging - 35% Sides
Hardwired Radar and GPS Charger - LED's - ScanGauge II
At Bat: PTM Chevy Emblems, Black Calipers
On Deck: Silverstar All Around w/ PIAA Fogs
In the Hole: Undercoating
Wearing: Collinite(incl. Wheels), ARO, Aquapel, Plexus
ChicagoMalibu2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
08chevymalibultz
Banned

Gallery: 0
Default Re: SNOW/ICE handeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg1 View Post
I drive in snow and ice a lot and the Malibu is not bad. I Was looking at a G8 when I bought the Malibu but just couldn't buy a rear drive with the snow we get.

If you have the Goodyear LS2, they are horrible in the snow. It is not the Malibu, it is the tires along with the tire size that the LTZ has on it. 225/50/18 is not going to be a popular choice for driving in the snow if you ask any expert. A more aggressive tire or a true snow tire would be best. My experience last winter with the LS2 tires was the reason they came off and Tripletred's went on. The LS2 are quiet and smooth riding but the performance of the tire fails in everyway. Good luck!

PS. The Traction Control is not going to help you with the LS2 tires. It will be constantly kicking on and off because of the crappy LS2 Tires and you will slide on the road.

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 11-02-2010 at 09:31 PM.
08chevymalibultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
LTZ Chev's
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
White Diamond Tri

Default Re: SNOW/ICE handling?

I have a 2010 LTZ V6 with the LS2 tires. I haven't had any problems dry or wet..... but I have never owned a tire that changed pressures so fast. 11pm. 50 degrees, and at 35 pounds. 6am 34 dgrees and at 26 pounds in the tires. Should not drop that low.

2010 Chevy Malibu LTZ V6, White Diamond Tri Coat
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, Black
2013 Chevy Malibu????? We will see what Chevy does........Dont mess too much!

LTZ Chev's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
jaykin456
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu
Silver

Hi,

I bought a 2009 Malibu yesterday with FR710 Firestone tires on it....

We had our first snow today and I got stuck three times....once in a parking lot....when I tried to go forward the tires just spun...had to go in reverse to move.... Had to get pushed out by passerby on my dirt road...

Tires, traction control, or light car?

I wanted to drive it back to the dealership to exchange. I love the look of the car but I need something that is good on Minnesota snow....

thoughts?
jaykin456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Tires. Goodyear Eagle LS2's on mine. Had them on my '09 as well. We don't get near the snow you do, but last winter the tires were okay in the 3 inches we got one day. M&S is what they're rated, but ya gotta remember, they're designed to help keep the CAFE numbers up.

Some others from your latitude have a separate set of winter wheels and snow tires.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
redhorse
CMF Junior Member

We have a half-mile driveway, pretty much straight uphill (the side of a mountain). I had no problems with my 2009 Malibu (it has the original tires) last winter. I have had no problems on roads either. We get a lot of ice here, so that's saying something.

I agree the Eagle tires aren't great, but I'm used to winter driving. Before my Malibu, I drove a Grand Prix and put Nokian Hakkas on it every winter. Now with that set up I could go almost everywhere. I actually made it out of our driveway in that car when our neighbor couldn't do it in his AWD.
redhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
08chevymalibultz
Banned

It is kind of funny that some say they had no problems with the LS2 tires! My driveway has a small-medium incline and I had nothing put problems driving the Malibu up it with the LS2 tire on it in the snow. I would have to get a good running start to get up and sometimes that didn’t even work. If I had stopped any where in the driveway, you can forget it. I was not moving anywhere and would just spin tire. I would turn off the traction control it would help a little but was still pretty much useless. We have post this topic before this one and I have stated at the time last year when I took my son to a friend’s house. It was snowing and only had about an half of an inch to maybe an inch of snow on the ground and the Malibu was sliding all over the road. I took it to a local Goodyear tire Dealer and they even said that they are a cheap/crap tire and the tire is horrible in the snow. They said you may find them in other stores but they don’t carry/stock them in their store. They also had stated that they could get them by request by the customer but would not recommend them. They told me with the LS2 tire and the tire size is like riding on a toboggan sled. As a reminder, this is a GOODYEAR TIRE DEALER! My dad retired from his job and decided to go work part-time, not because he needed the money but want to continue to do something beside just sit home. He as been working for a popular Tire company in our area where I had got a second opinion on the LS2 tires. Both dealers have agreed that the LS2 Tires are cheap and don’t perform well at all in the Snow, especially with the size of the tire being another major factor. They had suggested to go with a smaller rim size and a more aggressive tire or a true snow tire for the winter. So for the original question to this post! Plan on changing your tires or buying snow tires if you plan to driving the Malibu in any good amount of snow.

PS. As a side note the LS2 tire are crap and you should change them anyways. Everyone has their own opinion and I don't expect you or anybody to agree with me but this is "mine" opinion and experience with the LS2 tires on the Malibu. If somebody is going to buy a new Malibu and ask how the Malibu LTZ is in the snow, I am going to be honest and not tell them the LS2 tires are safe in winter driving or does well! The Malibu is a beautiful car but you have to keep in mind that every car and tire performs differently.

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 11-20-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I have to agree with you, except I don't have your experience in the snow. On my '09 I had to pump the tires up 6-8 psi over recommended on the tire decal to keep from sliding. It helped a lot. I've continued that practice on my '11.

I've had Big O and Toyo brand tires on other cars that rode better as a result of changing the tire.

The LS2 is a design, IMHO, to get the CAFE numbers up, not to ake the car safer, better handling, or better riding. If I had $800-1000 I'd be down with getting a new set of shoes!

These tires don't make me wanna go to Goodyear, but with your comments I'll put them back on the list.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post

These tires don't make me wanna go to Goodyear, but with your comments I'll put them back on the list.
Good Year does make many good tires. The LS2 just happens to be a bad apple. Once the wife's wear out, I will not be getting LS2's again. I am thinking about a mild summer performance tire like a Firestone Firehawk. Not to expensive, they get good reviews and my friend has them on his G6 and likes them alot.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
08chevymalibultz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I have to agree with you, except I don't have your experience in the snow. On my '09 I had to pump the tires up 6-8 psi over recommended on the tire decal to keep from sliding. It helped a lot. I've continued that practice on my '11.

I've had Big O and Toyo brand tires on other cars that rode better as a result of changing the tire.

The LS2 is a design, IMHO, to get the CAFE numbers up, not to ake the car safer, better handling, or better riding. If I had $800-1000 I'd be down with getting a new set of shoes!

There has been a lot of mixed reviews with the Goodyear Tripletreds. Some have complained that the tire is too noisy. I have to agree that they do like to sing especially on freshly new paved roads and the ride is more harder since the tires rubber and side walls are stiffer. As for the performance of the tire, it is outstanding. Would I buy this tire again, I am not sure at this time and longer use down the road will only tell! Trying to find a tire that does it all is really hard and takes a lot of research to find that right tire that fits your needs and likes. Buying another set of wheels and tires for the Winter can be really expensive but on the other hand, it will save on your summer/all season tires in the long run. It is very interesting with increasing the tire pressure in the LS2 tires that you have done for better traction in the snow. I believe you had said something about this in the past! I would have tried this but already put the Tripletreds on. To the guys that are looking for a true performer in the snow, I suggest going for a True Snow Tire. I had did this on a Honda Odyssey with Bridgestone Blizzaks and the Van went through snow like a 4x4.

PS. As for the aggressive treds with the snow tire, you only have to deal with it for part of the year VS. a all season tire with aggressive treds all year that might produce road noise! Just a thought on this subject, although everybody has their own likes and dislikes or what they can and can’t deal with in a tire!

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 11-20-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.