P0442 but no CHECK GAS CAP - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 0
Default P0442 but no CHECK GAS CAP

I got my first CEL with P0442, "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)." There was no "CHECK GAS CAP" message in the DIC and thus I thought it was something serious until I hooked up the scanner. It looks like my locking fuel cap CST 5903 is the culprit (it obviously couldn't be me). I wonder what would actually trigger the "CHECK GAS CAP" message.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Re: P0442 but no CHECK GAS CAP

I read on the G6 boards back when I had one that some aftermarket caps could cause this.

By the way, you see your user title. :-D
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

The "Technical Guru" bit? The rebel in me is still mulling over a proper retort. I guess I'll have to fact-check what I say more carefully from now on.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
The "Technical Guru" bit? The rebel in me is still mulling over a proper retort. I guess I'll have to fact-check what I say more carefully from now on.
LOL, it us just because you are always on top of the tech questions, and I appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
elcompaLalo
CMF Veteran Member
2008 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 5

Hey I like the new title, and we all appreciate how Starship is on the technical stuff.

Thank you sir!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

It may take a larger leak detected by the ECM to set the "check gas cap" warning in the DIC. Most of the times the seals themselves on the aftermarket gas caps don't seal properly. If a gas cap is not tightened down completely it would be a larger leak as compared to a small leak past the seal itself. I will say though a majority of small leaks that I have worked with have been gas caps.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver LTZ View Post
LOL, it us just because you are always on top of the tech questions, and I appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcompaLalo View Post
Hey I like the new title, and we all appreciate how Starship is on the technical stuff.
Well, my soft spot is puzzles and I seem to have found a forum I can park myself for a while, so I didn't really need any encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
It may take a larger leak detected by the ECM to set the "check gas cap" warning in the DIC. Most of the times the seals themselves on the aftermarket gas caps don't seal properly. If a gas cap is not tightened down completely it would be a larger leak as compared to a small leak past the seal itself. I will say though a majority of small leaks that I have worked with have been gas caps.
The cap was indeed, ahem, a little loose (it must have freed itself). I was under the impression that any EVAP leak will trigger that message. Anyway, this gave me a fresh perspective on how that little CEL can ruin one's day. It's a good thing I had a scanner handy.

Last edited by Starship; 09-15-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.