Kevin's 2010 Malibu LT

66K views 187 replies 32 participants last post by  nutcrunch 
#1 · (Edited)
Kevin's Malibu - "WYT SAND"​

The Ride:
2010 Chevrolet Malibu 1LT "LT+Z"
Summit White / Cocoa-Cashmere
2.4L 145cu.in. LE5 I4/A6
169HP @ 6400RPM --- 143WHP (DashCommand)
160TQ @ 4500RPM --- 135WTQ (DashCommand)

Build Date: 06/01/2010

The Mods:
K&N Drop-In Air Filter - Check!
17" 2LT Alloy Wheels - Check!
Rain-X Repel Wipers - Check!
LTZ Front Grilles - Check!
Custom "Malibu" Floormats - Check!
iPhone Vent Mount - Check!
Leather Steering Wheel - Check!
Leather Shift Knob - Check!
Chrome Door Handles - Check!
LTZ Dual Exhaust - Check!
Leather Headrest - Check!
White Interior LEDs in Maps and Dome - Check!
Pioneer AVH-P3400BH Radio - Check!
Retrofit Projector Headlights with HIDs and Halos - Check!
PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi + Dash Command - Check!

Aqua Interior Ambient Light - In The Future
Michelin Defender Tires - In The Future
OEM LTZ Tail Lights - In The Future
OEM Fog Lights - In The Future
Upgraded Speakers - In The Future
iKey Push-Button Start System - Unknown/Undecided

Current Look:

My favorite shots:

HDR Shots:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
So, I got the wheels on! At the bottom is a picture of a close up shot.

My next major mod will be doing the LTZ Dual Exhaust (which got put on hold recently, but I should be getting it before the end of this year)!

UPDATE 11/19/2010 --- Got the LTZ Grilles in!!

I finally got the LTZ Grilles in thanks to an awesome member here (thanks bud)! They look awesome with the white in my opinion. Here they are!

#8 ·
Yea, I just went to advance auto parts this morning and showed them the wheel. They looked up whatever they do in their system, showed a specific wheel nut, and voila! it was like $30 give or take for all 20.

#9 ·
And yes, the stock rims (for '10 at least; LS and 1LT trims) are 5-spoke STEEL rims with Chrome-looking hubcap covers.

The rims I bought were the 2LT ALLOY rims.

They're not bad looking stock rims (the steel with hubcaps) compared to some steels, but I just like alloy rims much much better. That and these are a little thinner and I always loved thin spokes (it reminds me of my 2000 Corvette with the thin-spoke wheels).

#10 ·
#12 ·
I don't have a problem with Magnaflow, I have that on the '95 Mustang, but I don't want it on my Malibu. I want my Malibu to have the dual outlets, but I want it as 'quiet' as possible. I noticed a sound increase from the K&N and I fully expect there is going to be -SOME- difference with the LTZ wider pipping and dual outlet muffler (some = might be minor, might be more, I have no way of knowing until it gets on), BUT I'd rather take the lesser of two evils and have the quieter one.

The '85 Firebird and '95 Mustang are for fun and toying around. I want my Malibu to look sleek and not loud/flashy ;-)

Just personal preference!

#15 ·
I actually got 'em off eBay. They are genuine GM rims from the 2LT option (not replicas), so you have a number of choices: eBay, shopgmparts.com, etc...

I really like 'em too :)

#16 ·
I figured that's where you got them. Shopgmparts.com doesn't look very legit to me, I doubt I would order anything from that website. Just looks poorly made imo.

When I first got my Malibu I wanted to go to the dealer and ask how much they would be to order them and/or just the chrome hub caps just for now. Are you selling your old chrome hub caps?

I am also looking at these for winter: http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/236+(Black/Machined).bwt , saw them on another gold Malibu and really liked them. Not to mention they are only $99.95/wheel.

#17 ·
Actually, shopgmparts.com is very legit. I used them for the center caps. Talk to Patrick. He's nice. Transaction went smooth and without a hiccup.

As for selling my chromes, yea I was actually thinking about it. I got the steel wheels and the chrome caps that go with them and the wheel nuts that hold 'em on.

I was going to put 'em all (steels and caps and all) on eBay for $350 (Edit: this is a guess number. I was thinking $300-350 based on what it would cost to purchase from gmpartsdirect, shopgmparts, eBay, GM dealerships, and the cost of other similar wheels on eBay. This cost is much lower than all of the above) or so. If you'd like to work something out, send a message. I'm not sure how to work that sort of stuff out on the forums here, but I could just put 'em on eBay (since that's linked to my paypal) and you could grab 'em if ya want or if not that's cool too.

#18 ·
Well, update... for now, the LTZ exhaust is once again put on hold. I was given a second price of $790 (installed and out the door) using a combination of one of the gm sites where they ship it to you and the install from my dealer... Now, they've come back and given an 'updated' price, which would put me at no less than $1000 installed and out.

$1000 isn't much, but I don't like the price jump and $1000 -is- a bit much for an exhaust in my opinion since it's the 2.4 and all I'm looking for is the -appearance- of the dual outlet.

For those that mentioned aftermarket, I looked, I couldn't find -any- dual outlet exhaust systems that would be a) dual outlet and fit on my 2.4, b) a straight bolt on and not cutting, welding, weird pipes, etc, and c) not sound like I've got a two hundred pound gorilla farting underneath my car. If I could find an aftermarket that is simple 1 muffler in the same spot, 1 set of pipping in the same spot, and 2 exhaust outlets that didn't give a rice sound... I might consider it.

Thanks for the help and tips on this particular subject y'all. I'll keep looking.

For now, think I'mma replace the map/dome lights with cool white. Then I'm thinking about looking up a navigation system thing for the radio (although I'd want to maintain wheel controls, onstar, xm, ipad jack, etc etc etc).

I'm not sure what else I want to do. I'm not a fan of the LTZ grille (at least not atm). I dunno about the taillights. I don't mess with neon/led lighting. Hmmm... guess I'll start scanning the Modification subforum! :)

NOTE: It's 6am and I'm half asleep, so apologies if this sounds rambling :(

#19 ·
Well, update... for now, the LTZ exhaust is once again put on hold. I was given a second price of $790 (installed and out the door) using a combination of one of the gm sites where they ship it to you and the install from my dealer... Now, they've come back and given an 'updated' price, which would put me at no less than $1000 installed and out.

$1000 isn't much, but I don't like the price jump and $1000 -is- a bit much for an exhaust in my opinion since it's the 2.4 and all I'm looking for is the -appearance- of the dual outlet.
That is INSANE. There is a thread on here with the part numbers and they were pretty cheap. Just buy the bottom piece and muffler/tips and have a body shop/exhaust shop do it. Or, better yet, find a wrecked V6 in a salvage yard and yank the parts. IMO it can be done for under $500.

#22 ·
Yea, I'd still like to find a functional one though that isn't going to make my car sound like a civic >.>

But, I might look at that. Thanks SilverLTZ :)

#26 ·
Yea, I would never fake it either. Faking = worst thing to do in the auto world.

Anyways, I appreciate the idea DrivenDaily, but I think for now I'mma stick to my single-out. There was another member on here (I forget the name) that said basically how I work on my cars as well: This is my daily driver. I like to play with it, but nothing over the top. I have other cars at home that satisfy that need :)

I like toying with ideas for the Malibu, but it all comes down whether it's a bit 'over the top' for my 'Bu. Basically, I don't want to -drastically- alter any single part of it. The LTZ isn't drastic because it's on another trim stock. The Y-pipe idea isn't bad by any means (nor is it inherently "over the top"), but I feel it would change the stock-ness of the car, so I want to steer away from that for this car.

Hope that made sense haha. I'm still half asleep and sick, but I think ya get the idea. If a dual-outlet option comes along that 1. Cheap and 2. Doesn't change too much of the stock-like-ness, then I will think about it and check on it.

Thanks guys :)

#27 ·
Alrighty, so my next mod is doing the LTZ grilles! This might happen either the first part of November or maybe December, but I'm definitely thinking it's going to be sooner rather than later! I'm also going to pick up a pair of the brand new Rain-X Repel blades (I always did like rain-x) here shortly.

After that, my plan is to try and get the LTZ led taillights, but when I check on the shopgmparts.com, it was like $400 just for the left and right housing :confused:
So, I'm probably going to keep checking ebay or something. I saw someone posted a how-to on here and said you could get a pair for like $50 buck or like $100 or something... I fail to see how, but I'm going to keep checking and maybe I'll get lucky :)

#30 ·
I finally got the LTZ Grilles in (thanks to a member here, thanks bud)!! I think they look awesome with the white color. Here they are!

#33 ·
I put a K&N into this one right at the start. No change in sound, very slight change in performance. My reason - no more filter changes, just clean, re-oil, insert.

I don't like the LTZ grilles on my car because they're a sea of white with a chrome beach on a sunburned car. I like the idea of having them either black or body colored for the increased contrast. On your car they look real nice!

And now I understand the white sand reference in your sig - it matches your plate and your car perfectly!

#37 ·
Bob, FYI that is the downfall of K&N's. The oil is a MAF sensor killer. I had an issue on the Camaro with my tuning getting all wacky years back. Turned out the oil from the filter was ruining the sensors on the MAF. It is all over the LSx boards now and nobody runs oil type filters anymore. The do make high flow "dry" filters. That is what you want.

#35 ·
Hmmmm, my V6 sound didn't change. Wish it had; your description sounds better. Do ya think it might be the grilles causing you to be more aware now than before? LOL! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.