Anyone have a wheel bearing problem? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Gallery: 0
Default Anyone have a wheel bearing problem?

A couple weeks ago I noticed a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side when I was next to a building/wall at slower speeds. Then I noticed that it is a lot more noticable when turning to the left, which made me think wheel bearing. I called and made an appointment to take it in and get looked at but was wondering if this is a common problem or not?

09 2LT 3.6 with 45,000 miles.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3
Default Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing problem?

What kind of noise? You're positive it isn't steering related as the steering racks on these cars are pieces of crap.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Sandhopper
CMF Senior Member

Gallery: 15

"What kind of noise? You're positive it isn't steering related as the steering racks on these cars are pieces of crap."

So are the brakes!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhopper View Post
"What kind of noise? You're positive it isn't steering related as the steering racks on these cars are pieces of crap."

So are the brakes!
I haven't any brake issues, so I can't say. 26K on them, so far so good.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I had 20K on my '09 before trading it in and was getting only the slightest squeal, and only if it was pressed just a certain amount. A little more or less and the noise went away.

My '11 (the keeper!) makes no noise at this time.

And no issues or anomalies with the wheel bearings on either, either. (Hmmm, is that some kind of grammatical misconstruct?)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

The noise is a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side that is RPM related, it gets faster the faster the car is going. I started noticing it in the driveway when I was next to the house, the noise bounced off the house. Then noticed that making left hand turns would make the noise become more evident. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know I would guess wheel bearing.

I changed the brakes around 10K miles ago because they were worn out. I did go threw and and re check everything on the brakes to make sure.

Don't think it is steering related, it does it with the wheels straight when backing out of and pulling into the driveway.

I will find out Friday what it is for sure but my guess is wheel bearing. Was just seeing if this is a common problem or not.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
BlinkQS
CMF Junior Member
2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Angry Re: Anyone have a wheel bearing problem?

I had my front drivers side wheel bearing replaced RIGHT before the bumper to bumper warranty was about to expire.

It started to make an ever so slight crunching noise, which correlated to how fast I was going. The slower I drove, the crunching would be slow, the faster I drove, the crunching was quick sounding. I also drove near a building to hear it better.

At first, I thought this noise had something to do with the brakes, as if the heat sheild was rubbing against the rust on the rotor when the wheel was spinning.

When it got really bad, it was very frightening to drive on the highway, the car would be very unstable and liked to pull to the left (dealership was so busy, they scheduled my appointment 7 days after I initially called them, and being my only car, I had to drive it that way).

The leaky/jerky transmission, failed wheel bearing, creaky strut mounts, non-working door locks, clunking steering shaft, sticking fuel injector, etc... made me buy the GM Majorguard extended warranty.

Now I think the front passenger side is going bad... I wish they could have just replaced both at the same time.
Fairfax Plant, Kansas - Assembled 12/2007
Current miles 66k-67k
BlinkQS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
I will find out Friday what it is for sure but my guess is wheel bearing. Was just seeing if this is a common problem or not.
I wouldn't say it's "common." The bearing/hub assemblies in recent years have been quite reliable. Also, bad bearings hum, whir, or roar (like truck tires with aggressive treads). The "crunching" BlinkQS described is rare. His problem may be a collateral damage, i.e., from carelessness during some repair work that required front end disassembly. Maybe somebody got lazy and let loose an impact gun or hammer on the drive shaft.

Does the noise change when you lightly apply the brakes? Was there anything that didn't make sense to you when you did the brake job?
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
The noise is a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side that is RPM related, it gets faster the faster the car is going. I started noticing it in the driveway when I was next to the house, the noise bounced off the house. Then noticed that making left hand turns would make the noise become more evident. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know I would guess wheel bearing.

I changed the brakes around 10K miles ago because they were worn out. I did go threw and and re check everything on the brakes to make sure.

Don't think it is steering related, it does it with the wheels straight when backing out of and pulling into the driveway.

Thanks.
The way you describe the sound it certainly sounds like a bad bearing. I wouldn't say a bad wheel bearing is a normal problem on these cars. However, at 45K miles you are starting to get into the mileage range where those kinds of things can happen on any car made. Did you jack the car up and use your hands in the 12 and 6 positions to move the wheel up and down to see if there was any play? Although I have seen bearings that didn't have any play in them actually make noise and have a rough feel to them when held in both hands and turned. Once replaced the sound and feel in the steering went away.

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Well took the car to the dealership this morning. After about 30 minutes or so they came out and said the rotors were warped and wanted 65 bucks to turn them plus 40 bucks for the diagnoises since it wasn't powertrain related. I haven't had any rotors turned in a while but last time I did it was around 15 bucks a rotor. I told him I would get it taken care of and paid the 40 bucks for the diagnoises. Decided to just buy new rotors, I usually just buy new rotors when changing pads but thought these ones looked decent when I changed the brakes.

I got some wagner rotors and threw them on and went for a drive, noise is still there and the same before. RPM sensitive rubbing/grinding noise from the right side that is more evident when turning to the left. So now 150 bucks into this and no change. So guess I'm going to have to make another appointment at the dealership and have them try and guess what the problem is again and take a chance at having to pay the 100+ an hour shop fee again and hope they get it right this time. I suppose the rotors could be out of spec right out of the box but I've never had that before.

I didn't try and wiggle the tire when I had the car in the air because I was going off what the dealer told me was wrong, wish I would have but will get the car in the air tomorrow and try and wiggle the tire to see if that will tell me anything.

As of right now I feel kind of ripped off from the dealership and having a hard time making another appointment because I'm worried I"m going to end up paying more shop fees and trust them when they were wrong once already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.