'98 malibu transmission dilemma.... - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
ozzy_2_me
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Unhappy '98 malibu transmission dilemma....

So, I have a '98 malibu LS, 3.1 v6.

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

Now that thats out of the way

This is whats happening.......after being parked in the garage all night I got in started it up let it run for about 6-8 min for engine to warm up. put into reverse to back up and pressed the gas pedal and it backed up but slower then ussually and with higher engine RPM's. backed up I pulled forward then the same for a second the fine. i get up to the traffic stop about a half a mile down the road. i stop. then when light turns green. it just sits there for a sec the i give more rpm's then it slowy starts to go. it give it a couple quick punchs to the gas pedal then it drives fine. drive about a mile down the road to the next stop and all is normal.

The Million Dollar Question......What could cause this?

any help would helpful - Kevin
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: '98 malibu transmission dilemma....

Welcome to the site. I'd like to invite you to stick around once you get your issue resolved.

First thing I'd check is the trans fluid level and condition. Do you know when the trans fluid/filter was last changed? This has the earmarks of either a low fluid level and sometimes it can't pump enough fluid, or more likely a clogged filter that can't pass enough fluid to operate properly. If you pull the dipstick (not sure it even has one! some don't) and smell it, does it have a burnt smell and/or look really dark? That would suggest you need a service performed.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Unfettered
CMF Senior Member
2006 Malibu Maxx 2lt
Sandstone Metallic

I agree with Driven....Check the fluid level and condition. It just may need something simple like getting a fluid replacement.

I know I can't check the fluid easily in my '06, but depending on your driving style it should be done every 35-50,000 miles.

'06 Malibu Maxx 2LT (Wife's car)
'09 Colorado WT1 (My truck)
Unfettered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
ozzy_2_me
CMF Rookie Member

i will change the filter and and clean new fluid and see if this helps it

thanks for the idea
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.