Replacing ignition switch - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Stuke
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu Ls
White

Gallery: 0
Default Replacing ignition switch

i got in the car the other day and the key wouldnt turn i dont know really what was going on so i took it upon myself to take it apart without figuring out waht was really wrong and i destroyed the ignition switch. so i bought a new one and need some help with how to put the new one in. and any advice on what was wrong with the old one before i destroyed it. and its a 2003 malibu. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks -Luke-
Stuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Default Re: Replacing ignition switch

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately your description isn't much to go on. It'd help greatly if you could provide more detail, perhaps with pictures.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 12-21-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Spellification
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Stuke
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu Ls
White

I got on the car after Parking it over night and the ignition key would not turn. So now I just bought a new ignition switch and am going to put it in today. Is there anything important I should know when installing the new one?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

That doesn't give me a good sense of what exactly is broken, whether it's the lock cylinder, ignition switch, or both. I'm sorry but the best advice I can offer is getting it towed to a shop or calling an automotive locksmith. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Stuke
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu Ls
White

The key cylinder won't turn. Is there a way to go with out using it and just using something to turn the ignition switch
Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

No, it's not like the old days. Your Malibu has the Passlock theft-deterrent system based on the Hall effect sensor. Forcefully turning the lock cylinder will destory the sensor mechanism and basically disable the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.