98 malibu intake manifold gasket problems. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
rick19917
CMF Rookie Member
1998 Malibu LS
Sand

Gallery: 0
Default 98 malibu intake manifold gasket problems.

About a year ago I had to change my intake manifold gasket and my head gasket because water was getting into the oil and one of the cylinders. I had the heads machined as well. Now the same thing is happing again. There is water vapor coming out the exhaust. So I took apart the engine and saw that the Intake manifold gasket failed. It was a Fel-pro Part # : MS98004T. I don't know if i should buy it again or is there another gasket i can use?? ----i dont want to have to be changing them every year, taking the engine apart is a pain.
--------------- 98 3.1 malibu
rick19917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
mrblanche
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist

Default Re: 98 malibu intake manifold gasket problems.

This is an old problem with that engine. I don't think anyone got to 50,000 miles on it without replacing the gaskets. Usually only has to be done once, if the dealer does it. Go ask the dealership what they use.
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

FEL-PRO gasket kit P/N MS98004T should do it for 3.1L VIN M (8th of VIN). FEL-PRO has a bolt set P/N ES72225 to go with the gaskets. I think the problem is insufficient cleaning of mating surfaces, reusing bolts, or incorrect torque.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
This is an old problem with that engine. I don't think anyone got to 50,000 miles on it without replacing the gaskets. Usually only has to be done once, if the dealer does it. Go ask the dealership what they use.
I had a '98 years back that I put 14x,xxx without changing the gasket.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
mrblanche
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist

The problem is different expansion rates of steel and aluminum, tearing the intake gaskets.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Silver LTZ
CMF Honorary Member

Gallery: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
The problem is different expansion rates of steel and aluminum, tearing the intake gaskets.
Na, it's not that. Many cars have aluminum heads on iron blocks.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
mrblanche
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver LTZ View Post
Na, it's not that. Many cars have aluminum heads on iron blocks.
The gasket in question is not between the block and heads, but between the intake manifold and heads.

Just a quick search on that year will come up with many hundreds of hits on the intake gasket leakage. Some blamed it on Dex-Cool coolant, but believe me on this when I tell you GM eventually discovered the problem was exactly as I described.

A secondary factor was that the gaskets were made of plastic.

But it's fairly obvious that if the gasket is replaced with a better gasket, and the Dex-Cool is replaced with normal coolant, and the gasket then fails again, there is another problem going on, and GM has said the different expansion rates is the key.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

I'll buy all that but, with all due respect, I'm not sure how that's going to help the OP with his present problem? Are you saying it's futile, that he's going to be doing this LIM gasket job every year? The FEL-PRO gasket kit is the redesigned variety with rigid inserts which should have lasted. Isn't it likely that we're looking at a botched job?
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
mrblanche
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist

It's certainly possible. It's even possible someone put in the original style gaskets, although I thought he said he did it himself and put in the Fel-Pro. I see the pro up above said that it's crucial to replace the bolts, too. I'm not sure that would occur to me, unless the parts man handed them to me with the gaskets as a kit. That's why those guys get certificates from Chevy after spending long nights reading boring manuals.

I wasn't brave enough to do it myself on my '98 Lumina, and it cost a pretty penny, something like $1200, if I recall rightly (paid under warranty, and done at a Chevy dealership in Irving, TX).

I've changed the head gaskets and the intake gaskets on my hot rod with a Chevy 350, and it's bad enough, with almost nothing in the way, not even fenders or a hood.

Last edited by mrblanche; 01-25-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.