it wont start! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
morgan
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu
silver

Gallery: 0
Question it wont start!

I have just purchased a 2005 chevy malibu 6 cyl, it ran great for 3 days no problems at all last friday morning when temps dropped here in Illinois I went out and started my car it started with no hesitation I then came in to wait for the car to warm up and when I went back out in 10 minutes the car wasnt running and wouldnt start, no warning lights came on no theft light blinking and it had a 1/4 tank of gas, Does anyone have the slightest thought as to what might be wrong?It will turn over just wont start.

Last edited by morgan; 01-24-2011 at 07:01 AM.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: it wont start!

The clues you're giving us point to water (from condensation or the pump) in the tank that got into the lines and froze.

Are you able to get it running yet? If not, are you comfortable checking the fuel pressure or electrical issues? Check the pressure. If there's pressure but no fluid then you likely have frozen fuel lines. When you turn on the key (but don't crank it) the fuel pump (in the tank) should spin for about half a second to maybe a couple seconds. Do you hear it? If not your pump may have failed or the power circuit supplying it may have issues.

Also, if you could figure a way to put some punctuation into your post it would be much easier to read and understand.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
morgan
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
The clues you're giving us point to water (from condensation or the pump) in the tank that got into the lines and froze.

Are you able to get it running yet? If not, are you comfortable checking the fuel pressure or electrical issues? Check the pressure. If there's pressure but no fluid then you likely have frozen fuel lines. When you turn on the key (but don't crank it) the fuel pump (in the tank) should spin for about half a second to maybe a couple seconds. Do you hear it? If not your pump may have failed or the power circuit supplying it may have issues.

Also, if you could figure a way to put some punctuation into your post it would be much easier to read and understand.
Sorry for the punctuation when frustrated i run on... We have tried starting it everyday for three days, it turns over just wont start, I havent had it hooked to a pressure gauge yet but I will have that done, Im curious as to why it started with no hesitation and died within 10 minutes. Not sure if fuel pump is kicking on, it is a very quiet car...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

The fuel pump can be heard if you either open the door or have someone turn the key while you listen at the back of the car. You don't have to be under it, just at the back.

Any fire takes 3 legs to stand on: fuel, air, spark or flame. You're sure you have air, not sure if you have fuel, and haven't checked the spark yet. Do the easy checks first, like listening for the pump or pulling a plug wire and using a spare plug properly grounded to see if it has spark. You can also use a type of meter or special test light.

Once you know the 2 legs you have, the 3rd is the one you're lacking.

And I understand frustration - I think we all do, some just more than others.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
morgan
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
The fuel pump can be heard if you either open the door or have someone turn the key while you listen at the back of the car. You don't have to be under it, just at the back.

Any fire takes 3 legs to stand on: fuel, air, spark or flame. You're sure you have air, not sure if you have fuel, and haven't checked the spark yet. Do the easy checks first, like listening for the pump or pulling a plug wire and using a spare plug properly grounded to see if it has spark. You can also use a type of meter or special test light.

Once you know the 2 legs you have, the 3rd is the one you're lacking.

And I understand frustration - I think we all do, some just more than others.
Thanks Hopefully I can get this figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.