DRL System - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
bve32k
CMF Junior Member
2004 Malibu LS
Blue

Gallery: 0
Default DRL System

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Malibu and I would like to disable the Daytime Running Light system. Is there a fuse I have to pull or can I disabled it in the DIC?

I tried disabled it in the DIC and they always come back on after the car is turned off and turned back on.

Thanks,
Ken
bve32k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
elcompaLalo
CMF Veteran Member
2008 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 5
Default Re: DRL System

Not too familiar with that year Malibu but have you tried looking for any fuses labeled DRL1 or DRL2? It might just be as easy as pulling them if they are there of course.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

It looks like, from the DRL wiring diagram, that the BCM controls the running lights. The only thing is the fuses and relay's in the fuse block also cover the headlamps and turn signals together, so pulling one would disable something else. I could be wrong though, someone else may chime in with an idea to disable it. Just curious, are the daytime running lights ran through the parking lights or the headlights?

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
bve32k
CMF Junior Member
2004 Malibu LS
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
It looks like, from the DRL wiring diagram, that the BCM controls the running lights. The only thing is the fuses and relay's in the fuse block also cover the headlamps and turn signals together, so pulling one would disable something else. I could be wrong though, someone else may chime in with an idea to disable it. Just curious, are the daytime running lights ran through the parking lights or the headlights?
I can't find any fuses that control this. Only fuses I have are the headlights which are left low, right low, left high and right high. I do have a option in the DIC to turn the DRL lights off, but when I change this and turn the car off, it goes right back to "ON" again. My daytime running lights are the low beams (I am almost positive).
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
bve32k
CMF Junior Member
2004 Malibu LS
Blue

Maybe I can just unplug the ambient light sensor. If it doesn't know it is dark or light, I don't think it should work at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

I double checked the diagram and the headlamps and parking lamps are all part of the same circuit, so pulling any of those disables something else. I can't see any way around it. The only thing I can think of trying is to see if it can be disabled with the tech II through the BCM, but this would mean going to the dealer.

From the way it seems if the ambient light sensor is unplugged it may think it is night all the time, so the lights would be on all the time or off completely. This would also disable the auto lights. It may be hard to unplug the sensor also, it involves removing the instrument panel pad that covers the frame of the dash. There is probably some way to get to it without going through pulling out the pad.

-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player

Last edited by chevyguy8893; 02-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

If you don't mind doing a little wiring you can disable your DRLs.

Since your DRLs are your headlights you can interrupt the wire to the lights and run it through a relay that turns on only when the parking lights are on. The system may want to turn them on, but until the parking lights are on there won't be any lights. All you have to do is check out if they're using the lows or highs and wire it accordingly.

Simple circuit. Using the numbering system on most relays available these days, a wire spliced into the parking light positive goes to 85 (coil) and ground to 86 (coil). Those two wires can be swapped if it makes wiring it easier. Then the wire to the headlights is cut. The end that goes to the lights goes to 30 (Common, or COM), the other end goes to 87 (Normally Open, or NO).

If you discover that each headlight has a separate supply wire instead of one supply that serves both lights, then it is simple to address that. Splice the parking light positive going to 85 and send it to the second relay's 85, then ground the second relay's 86. Now cut the wire to the second headlight and wire it to the second relay like the first.

Because everything is already fused you don't really need to fuse anything, but if you want to you can. For 1 relay add a 2A fuse between the parking lights positive and 85, for 2 relays make it 5A or 2 separate 2A fuses. Again, these would be overkill but it's your ride.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
bve32k
CMF Junior Member
2004 Malibu LS
Blue

Now my next question is what is the difference between auto lights and DRL's?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bve32k View Post
Now my next question is what is the difference between auto lights and DRL's?
DRL's are the lights that come on during the day, generally low beams or parking lights run as DRL's. Auto lights turn the headlights on when it gets dark out, and turns them off and switch to DRL's when it gets light out.

-20% tint

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
bve32k
CMF Junior Member
2004 Malibu LS
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
DRL's are the lights that come on during the day, generally low beams or parking lights run as DRL's. Auto lights turn the headlights on when it gets dark out, and turns them off and switch to DRL's when it gets light out.
Ok, apparently I don't have DRL's. I didn't know the difference between both. I just went outside and put a flash light on the sensor and my low beams and parking lights went off.

So now my next question is is there a way for me to turn off the auto light feature? I can turn it off in the DIC, but I shut the car off and turn it back on and it is set back to On.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.