Check engine light, code scanner link error - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Plague
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 11
Send a message via AIM to Plague Send a message via MSN to Plague Send a message via Yahoo to Plague
Default Check engine light, code scanner link error

Ok, a couple hours ago I was coming home from working the night shift. Running through a drive through for a quick bite to eat my CEL comes on. First thing I do when I notice it is I kill my radio and kill the HVAC system and begin to listen.

After I get back onto the freeway heading home I keep everything off and keep listening and in general keeping an eye on how the car was driving and performing. Driveability "so far" doesn't seem to be affected by the appearance of the CEL. Once i'm home and I finish my dinner I grab my code scanner and go to check out what caused the light to come on. The damnedest thing happened when I connected my scanner though, after trying for a minute to link it came up "Link Error". I tried over and over to get it to link and it kept coming up the same. I even took the Xcal2 I have for my truck and tried that since it also doubles as a scanner, and it came up the exact same, Link Error.

I'm sitting here thinking I can't be the first person this has happened to, so someone please tell me WTF is going on, why can't a scanner link, and is this something potentially harmful? I'm not really in a position to take it to the dealer today so I really do need to know if it's an immediate danger.

BTW, car is a 2010, 2.4L, i've had it for 7 months now and it has 4,960 miles

Last edited by Plague; 02-26-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Screechymon
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Gold mist

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Check engine light, code scanner link error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Ok, a couple hours ago I was coming home from working the night shift. Running through a drive through for a quick bite to eat my CEL comes on. First thing I do when I notice it is I kill my radio and kill the HVAC system and begin to listen.

After I get back onto the freeway heading home I keep everything off and keep listening and in general keeping an eye on how the car was driving and performing. Driveability "so far" doesn't seem to be affected by the appearance of the CEL. Once i'm home and I finish my dinner I grab my code scanner and go to check out what caused the light to come on. The damnedest thing happened when I connected my scanner though, after trying for a minute to link it came up "Link Error". I tried over and over to get it to link and it kept coming up the same. I even took the Xcal2 I have for my truck and tried that since it also doubles as a scanner, and it came up the exact same, Link Error.

I'm sitting here thinking I can't be the first person this has happened to, so someone please tell me WTF is going on, why can't a scanner link, and is this something potentially harmful? I'm not really in a position to take it to the dealer today so I really do need to know if it's an immediate danger.

BTW, car is a 2010, 2.4L, i've had it for 7 months now and it has 4,960 miles
I can't seem to find much on your link error, I found a old tread on another chevy forum about a van not not linking as well but it was a 98' I'm not aware of the differences between your new Bu and an 98', but I'll give you a link to it anyways maybe it will possibly give you to troubleshooting ideas to try:

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24625

I apologise if this is of absolutely no help to you.

Is your gas cap is on correctly? That can set off your light, and is an great repair regarding cost.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Plague
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 11
Send a message via AIM to Plague Send a message via MSN to Plague Send a message via Yahoo to Plague

Well, thanks for the reply Screechy, and weather it's of no help or not you're trying.

I do have an update on the CEL. After a couple hours sitting here waiting on phone calls and googling what would cause a link error, I went out and tried both the code readers again. The actual scanner still showed the Link Error, but my Xcal2 this time was able to link and I finally was able to see the code. P0172, Fuel System Too Rich, Bank 1. Since it was a fuel trim code I decided to clear the code and hope it's an O2 sensor fart, but dammit all the xcal will now link and read the code but it wouldn't clear it.

I think the scanner problem is due to their age, the scanner is over 10 years old and the xcal is coming up on 5 I believe. Since I had to go to my brother's today I used his much newer scanner. It linked just fine and easily cleared the code. If the code returns it's definitely going in for service.

Could this be anything more than a sensor glitch? I mean a rich code on a car this new seems odd to me. I guess thats why i'm feeling so strongly it's nothing more than a glitch.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

On a car this new you're under warranty. If it happens again take it in because that means something is really not right. It could be the computer itself (not likely but possible) or a component on the engine. I've seen new parts come out of the box defective.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
fasalcido
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
White

Gallery: 0

Hi Plague,
What was the outcome of this code for you? I'm having a similar problem
fasalcido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.