HELP! Blower Motor issues - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
stockk5
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
Default HELP! Blower Motor issues

Hey guys, I have been searching on here for a few days after my girlfriends car developed an issue. The blower motor quit on her, so as i read simply enough prob just the motor or the resistor near the motor, we got both new ones and checked all the fuses and relays, even swapped relays from my sisters malibu to make sure it was good. So put everything in, nothing, no power to the fan motor.So I stopped by the local junk yard, picked up a new control switch cuz I am thinking this is the last part of the puzzle.. still NOTHING. Its still really cold here in CT and she needs this to work. I tested the old motor on the battery and it was dead too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to what the heck can be going on with it? Both fuse boxes are leading me no where as they are all good.

This is on a 2003 Malibu

Last edited by stockk5; 03-02-2011 at 06:51 PM.
stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice
 
chevyguy8893's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 1,678
Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockk5 View Post
Hey guys, I have been searching on here for a few days after my girlfriends car developed an issue. The blower motor quit on her, so as i read simply enough prob just the motor or the resistor near the motor, we got both new ones and checked all the fuses and relays, even swapped relays from my sisters malibu to make sure it was good. So put everything in, nothing, no power to the fan motor.So I stopped by the local junk yard, picked up a new control switch cuz I am thinking this is the last part of the puzzle.. still NOTHING. Its still really cold here in CT and she needs this to work. I tested the old motor on the battery and it was dead too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to what the heck can be going on with it? Both fuse boxes are leading me no where as they are all good.

This is on a 2003 Malibu
I am just listing the fuses for reference in case one might have been missed. There are four different fuses that supply power to the HVAC system. There is also one relay. Underhood is the HVAC blower relay (which you said you swapped), a 30 amp fuse #53 for high blower motor, and a 10 amp fuse #46 for heater A/C ignition. At the dash fuse box is a 20 amp fuse C for the HVAC blower and a 10 amp fuse for IPC/HVAC/BATT. All of these should have power when the key is in the on position.

How did you check the fuses and the power to the blower motor? I am curious if there is power on both sides of the fuses. I would check at the blower motor with a test light or multimeter by either jumping power to ground with the test light and see if it lights or put both leads of the multimeter on the connector at the blower motor while it is disconnected. I would also check the supply voltage (purple wire) to a known good ground. Check these with the key on and the blower motor control on high since it bypasses most of the circuit.

Did you happen to notice any damage to the connectors at either the blower motor or resistor that may be causing issues? I have seen some melt over time. If everything tests good then there may be a ground issue or a damaged wire somewhere which will be harder to track down.
__________________
09' Malibu LTZ with brick leather interior
4 cyl w/6 speed auto
Silver Ice Metallic paint

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels


chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 10,273
Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Do your diagnosis in this order:

1. Check blower fuses at fuse panels.

2. Check for power TO the control.

3. Operate the control and check for power FROM it to the correct wire for that speed.

4. Check for power TO the blower resistor on each wire for each speed. (High speed is not through the resistor but straight from the control to the motor, sometimes through a relay.)

5. Check for power FROM the resistor on the single wire leading TO the blower.

6. Check for proper ground at the blower.

At some point above you will experience a failure. That is where you fix it. Once you do, if it doesn't work, continue down the list. You may find that you have multiple issues that happened at the same time.
__________________

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down


Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice
 
chevyguy8893's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 1,678
Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Good points Driven. Battery power at the control is an orange wire, ignition voltage at the control is a brown wire, and the ground for the control is a black/white wire.
__________________
09' Malibu LTZ with brick leather interior
4 cyl w/6 speed auto
Silver Ice Metallic paint

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels



Last edited by chevyguy8893; 03-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
stockk5
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
I am just listing the fuses for reference in case one might have been missed. There are four different fuses that supply power to the HVAC system. There is also one relay. Underhood is the HVAC blower relay (which you said you swapped), a 30 amp fuse #53 for high blower motor, and a 10 amp fuse #46 for heater A/C ignition. At the dash fuse box is a 20 amp fuse C for the HVAC blower and a 10 amp fuse for IPC/HVAC/BATT. All of these should have power when the key is in the on position.

How did you check the fuses and the power to the blower motor? I am curious if there is power on both sides of the fuses. I would check at the blower motor with a test light or multimeter by either jumping power to ground with the test light and see if it lights or put both leads of the multimeter on the connector at the blower motor while it is disconnected. I would also check the supply voltage (purple wire) to a known good ground. Check these with the key on and the blower motor control on high since it bypasses most of the circuit.

Did you happen to notice any damage to the connectors at either the blower motor or resistor that may be causing issues? I have seen some melt over time. If everything tests good then there may be a ground issue or a damaged wire somewhere which will be harder to track down.
I know i checked the number 53 fuse and 46 in the engine bay. I am almost 95% sure i checked each of the dashboard fuses, its sometimes difficult to get in there to see em but i am almost sure i pulled the correct ones according to the diagram.

I did check the power to the blower by using a multimeter and double checked i was on the right setting as well, Good to know about the purple wire. The connection did look SLIGHTLY corroaded however i cleaned it off best i could with a small pick, seemed to work well.
stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
dc2009
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS
Imperial Blue
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 401
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Did you test the replacement blower motor direct to the battery like you did with the original? Maybe you got a defective motor.
dc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
stockk5
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Do your diagnosis in this order:

1. Check blower fuses at fuse panels.

2. Check for power TO the control.

3. Operate the control and check for power FROM it to the correct wire for that speed.

4. Check for power TO the blower resistor on each wire for each speed. (High speed is not through the resistor but straight from the control to the motor, sometimes through a relay.)

5. Check for power FROM the resistor on the single wire leading TO the blower.

6. Check for proper ground at the blower.

At some point above you will experience a failure. That is where you fix it. Once you do, if it doesn't work, continue down the list. You may find that you have multiple issues that happened at the same time.

I will have to go back with my multi meter on the switch, I forgot my meter at home when i had the chance to stop by and put in the new switch, I will def. try this tomrw. thanks for all the advice guys!
stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
stockk5
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2009 View Post
Did you test the replacement blower motor direct to the battery like you did with the original? Maybe you got a defective motor.
yes it was the first thing i did... i use napa a lot.. and know better! haha
stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
dc2009
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS
Imperial Blue
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 401
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

Is looks like chevyguy8893 and DrivenDaily are pointing you in the right direction so I hope your problem is fixed soon.

Let us know what you do find was wrong.
dc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
stockk5
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
Default Re: HELP! Blower Motor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Do your diagnosis in this order:

1. Check blower fuses at fuse panels.

2. Check for power TO the control.

3. Operate the control and check for power FROM it to the correct wire for that speed.

4. Check for power TO the blower resistor on each wire for each speed. (High speed is not through the resistor but straight from the control to the motor, sometimes through a relay.)

5. Check for power FROM the resistor on the single wire leading TO the blower.

6. Check for proper ground at the blower.

At some point above you will experience a failure. That is where you fix it. Once you do, if it doesn't work, continue down the list. You may find that you have multiple issues that happened at the same time.

ok so we have power at all the fuses.. however on this one when we jump the power from battery to the controler we get them to all work. It seems as if Orange is power and brown is ground and the others are the settings controller. We cant figure out why the orange has no power!?

Last edited by stockk5; 03-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blower motor resistor replacement fmiller Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 3 05-18-2014 06:05 PM
Blower motor problems cavery Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 4 02-28-2011 04:45 PM
Blower motor noise solved rf overlord Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generations 5 & 6) 0 12-30-2010 08:38 AM
Blower motor resistor Jheuermann Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 5 07-18-2010 08:14 PM
1998 blower motor rwc Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 0 12-14-2009 12:56 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
The Chevy Malibu Logo, Chevy Malibu Typeface and Chevy Logo are Trademark General Motors. We are in no way affiliated with General Motors, we are simply an enthusiasts' site.