Lots of Oil leaking from behind starter? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
GDeuce
CMF Rookie Member
1998 Malibu
champagne

Gallery: 0
Default Lots of Oil leaking from behind starter?

Hello all,

My name is Garrison. I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu V6(3.1L). I have a SERIOUS oil leak coming from behind where the starter and Cylinoid(sp) are. I have already checked oil pan plug bolt and changed filter. Oil only really leaks when I turn the ignition over. any ideas what this could be? Any help is much obliged.
GDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Lots of Oil leaking from behind starter?

Moved to correct section. Gen7 is for 2008-2011 models.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
mike225
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Brown

Depending on where the oil is actually coming from. Externally, look up above the starter on the engine and you will see a round sensor for oil pressure. It will occasionally fail and oil will pour out the connection. This happens while the engine is running or turning over.

If it's leaking out the back of the starter your issue would be a rear seal which would have had to fail badly to happen when the engine is turning over.

First issue is 10 minutes work, second one is two days of pulling out the motor.
mike225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
highmilemali
CMF Rookie Member
2000 Malibu base
merlot

I just had the same problem a month or so ago. I have a 2000 with the 3.1. Mine turned out to be the oil pressure switch, which is a rather cheap fix. Cost is about $12 for the switch at Advance auto parts. However you will need a special socket to remove the switch, also about $12 at Advance. I'd start with replacing that.
highmilemali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.