Same code keeps popping up...again - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Same code keeps popping up...again

Since I bought my car I have had a random p1174 DTC for fuel trim cylinder balance. Before winter I tested the injectors with the GM fuel injector tester and the injectors came back within spec. I have checked the oxygen sensors and all are good, and the spark plug gap is still within spec. Also, no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks found.

At that point I ran some injector cleaner and cleaned out the throttle body. After that the car was fine through winter. Now, starting last week, the code has come on when I go to work and drive home (I clear it so I can see if there are any consistencies, and none found yet). There are no other codes present along with this one, and there are not any driveability issues that happen when the code is set.

I have asked the guys at work and have scoured through GM's service information and I have no ideas of what to do from here. This code is driving me insane only because I cannot figure it out. If anyone else has had this code on their car and it was fixed please let me know what fixed it, or if anyone has any ideas, anything would be of help.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Screechymon
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Gold mist

Default Re: Same code keeps popping up...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
Since I bought my car I have had a random p1174 DTC for fuel trim cylinder balance. Before winter I tested the injectors with the GM fuel injector tester and the injectors came back within spec. I have checked the oxygen sensors and all are good, and the spark plug gap is still within spec. Also, no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks found.

At that point I ran some injector cleaner and cleaned out the throttle body. After that the car was fine through winter. Now, starting last week, the code has come on when I go to work and drive home (I clear it so I can see if there are any consistencies, and none found yet). There are no other codes present along with this one, and there are not any driveability issues that happen when the code is set.

I have asked the guys at work and have scoured through GM's service information and I have no ideas of what to do from here. This code is driving me insane only because I cannot figure it out. If anyone else has had this code on their car and it was fixed please let me know what fixed it, or if anyone has any ideas, anything would be of help.
You would know better than me if you have identical engines or not, as I haven't a clue as to how similar or different they are but post #4 seems interesting:

http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11574

I'll poke around more and see what else I may come across.

I found this too, again I'm just searching the code, your engines may be different.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...c-p1174-38001/

That sounded exactly like what you described, but their may have been PMs involved as I didn't notice a definitive answer, however it has ideas you may or may not have tried.

One more, I found a TSB that may be related:

http://www.355nation.net/forum/servi...iple-dtcs.html

I can find alot of info on this, you must not be the only one that this issue plagued.

Last edited by Screechymon; 04-21-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added more, some more, ok last one.
Screechymon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Chevyguy8893,

I just want to make sure that I am understanding your situation correctly. As I read through your post it seems as though you are wanting to try to fix this yourself, is this correct? Have you contacted your local dealership to ask for their opinion about your situation? Please, don’t take me as I am telling you that you should got to the dealership. I am not saying that at all, I just wanted to gather additional information.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Screechymon
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Gold mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Chevyguy8893,

I just want to make sure that I am understanding your situation correctly. As I read through your post it seems as though you are wanting to try to fix this yourself, is this correct? Have you contacted your local dealership to ask for their opinion about your situation? Please, donít take me as I am telling you that you should got to the dealership. I am not saying that at all, I just wanted to gather additional information.

I may be mistaken, but I believe he works at his local dealership.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Chevyguy8893,

I just want to make sure that I am understanding your situation correctly. As I read through your post it seems as though you are wanting to try to fix this yourself, is this correct? Have you contacted your local dealership to ask for their opinion about your situation? Please, donít take me as I am telling you that you should got to the dealership. I am not saying that at all, I just wanted to gather additional information.

Yes, I am trying fix it myself, but I do work at a Chevy dealer as a tech. I am just completely lost as to what to do anymore.

Thanks for the links screechymon, I am going to see if I can find something that will work for mine. How did you find all those, I searched all over and couldn't find anything. I have a feeling it may be an injector issue.

-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Screechymon
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Gold mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
Yes, I am trying fix it myself, but I do work at a Chevy dealer as a tech. I am just completely lost as to what to do anymore.

Thanks for the links screechymon, I am going to see if I can find something that will work for mine. How did you find all those, I searched all over and couldn't find anything. I have a feeling it may be an injector issue.
I just typed in p1174 DTC in google and started reading, there is alot of stuff on that code.

You can also type "p1174 DTC" to do a more specific search. ( do type in the ")
Old 04-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Dear chevyguy8893,

Thank you for clarifying things for me. I am going to be sending you a private message to discuss this further with you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

I may be mistaken, but I believe he works at his local dealership.

Screechymon,

Thank you. You know how things are now days; it is never safe to assume anything otherwise it can turn around and nip ya! LOL

Have an awesome weekend!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

So, I finally got around to checking out my car earlier today. It took me till I was going on a vacation and the car was running rough at idle, so I procrastinated till the last minute. Anyways, I ended up running the same injector test again to see what was going on. Since the problem was intermittent it makes it harder to diagnose. I got lucky this time and my number one injector fail the power balance test horribly.

Specifications for my car are supposed to be between -8<-->+8 and number one was at -12.5. I replaced the injector and drove it a while, no more rough idle or check engine light. I am just happy I figured it out finally and just in time for vacation.

-20% tint

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
elcompaLalo
CMF Veteran Member
2008 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 5

Very happy to hear that you got to the bottom of the issue. Surprised to see how much you went through and could not get it fixed, luckily you had all the resources needed at your discretion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.