Service ESC - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
blamb88
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Light Bronzemist

Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Service ESC

Hey CMF help me out, my car is acting up. Now this is going to be the second time i took the car back to the dealership for the same thing that keep popping up on the indicator saying reduced engine power, service esc and then says esc off followed by service traction. The first time this happened the dealership reset the computer and after 2 days problem never reoccurred. So i get the car back and 1 1/2 days it starts again same messages indicating. anyone what this is?
blamb88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage
Default Re: Service ESC

Do you happen to know if there were any codes stored that may have been written down on the service receipt? It could be something as small as some corrosion on a connector or maybe a bad module. If you have a code that would be helpful.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Lgndryhr
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Lgndryhr

I had something similar like this happen to mine last year twice within a few months of each other. First time was a brake circuit and second time they said it was corrosion on a part. I can't remember which part. It was all covered under warranty luckily.

Wife drives a 2013 Camaro 1LT (marriage gift to wife)

Looking to get another SS or a ZL1
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
blamb88
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Light Bronzemist

Garage

didnt think to post up the codes, i found the first invoice when i took it in. it says P2176, P2101, P1516 but they cleared the codes, checked all wires and found no problems.
blamb88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

DTC P1516: Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
DTC P2101: Throttle Actuator Position Performance
DTC P2176: Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned

Something like this could be an issue with terminal tension at the throttle body connector, could be the throttle body itself, or the ECM is not interpreting data properly. Most likely a throttle body issue, but you will need to take it back to the dealer to get it taken care of.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

It's funny, we had a very snowy and icy winter and I think I noticed the ESC activate once or twice the whole winter. It's a great system, but it only activates when the car goes into a real skid. I thought with all the snow and ice, I would have seen the message more, but all I ever saw was the Traction Active message.

I will say the Malibu is a heavy car, so it's very stable on the road, even in the snow and ice.

Anyway, most of the time, these problems are sensor related. A sensor probably just needs to be replaced.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
BillD64
CMF Senior Member

The Service ESC is more than likely due to the throttle control codes. If there are throttle control codes the engine control module can't perform its part of the function by reducing torque. The ECM sends a message to the EBCM that it can't do its job and the EBCM sets the Service TC and ECS messages.

Here are the diagnostic procedures for those codes:

Bill
BillD64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
fancyida76
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
SUMMIT WHITE

My husband finally figured out what was going on with my 09 Malibu LT2. Last Nov. my Service ESC and Service Traction lights went off and my car was sputtering and stalled. When I started the car I drove it to the dealership and was told by service there that since the car was no longer acting up they could not find any codes on the computer; needless to say; it never happened again...until 3 days ago. While on an outing; the Service ESC and Service Traction lights came on. The car was sputtering and had little power at times. We crawled home and the next morning when I started the car there were no more codes or issues. Today on my way to work; both service lights came on again and NOW the engine light was on. The car could barely stayed started and was sputtering and idling poorly at about 500 RPMs. I immediately brought it to a GM dealership and when hooked up to the computer was told that the car was operating on only 3 cylinders and there was an issue with the one of the cylinders. The terminal was replaced by the dealership; codes reset and everything seemed fine. Happy...I drove the car home BUT 5 minutes out of town the car started stuttering and felt like it was misfiring around 1500 RPMs/50-55 MPH; no service lights at all, just running so poorly. My husband tore apart my car tonight and looked at the affected cylinder terminal and found 2 broken wires in the injector harness. He spliced both wires; reconnected wires and CAR NEVER RAN BETTER.....Took the car for a long ride afterwards and no issues. I will see in the am how it goes but I feel pretty confident my husband found the issue. Broken wires in the injector harness causing Service ESC, Service Traction, Engine Light, Sputtering, Misfiring issues with Malibu.
fancyida76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Next thing to do is take it back to the dealer and show them, then ask them to replace the harness so no corrosion sets in on the repairs.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Dear blamb88,

Thank you for posting your situation with your Malibu. I agree with DrivenDaily, get your vehicle back into the dealership. Depending on your mileage, this issue could be covered under your warranty. However, the dealership will have the specific warranty details to confirm this.

If you have further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.