2009 Malibu Brake Light Question - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
nestle555
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
silver

Gallery: 0
Default 2009 Malibu Brake Light Question

Having issue with brake lights coming on periodically after brake pedal is pressed and released. Thanks for any input.
nestle555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: 2009 Malibu Brake Light Question

Not sure where to direct you but here are some facts you may not be aware of.

The brake lights in the 2008-2011 models do not use a conventional switch. Instead they use a position sensor kind of like a volume control. The BCM (body control module) uses that input to determine when the pedal is at rest and when it's moving, then figures out if the lights need to be turned on. The two lower brake lights that serve as turn signals are individually turned on or flashed by the BCM - there is no flasher.

Under the hood is the CHMSL relay. Its only function is to turn on the third brake light. It receives a signal from the BCM to the coil and the contacts supply the power to the light. There's a light blue wire that runs from there through the driver's door sill back to the light.

If you ride with your foot touching the brake pedal it could cause the issue you describe, but that is a rare occurrence these days. (I saw one guy in a pickup doing it Saturday.)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 07-11-2011 at 03:46 AM.
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Dear nestle555,

How many miles do you have on your 2009 Malibu? Have you contacted your service advisor to pick their brain?

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
nestle555
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
silver

Thank you, for your responses. This Malibu is my wifes car, she mentioned today that the issue with all (3) brake lights coming on within 10 seconds after the brake pedal is released, has not happened in 2 days. We have had the vehicle at several different dealerships for a rattling sound that first occured at 20,000 miles without resolution. Also, we had the transaxle seal replaced (luckly under 100,000 mile powertrain warranty) at 35,000 miles. We love the gas mileage (6 speed) the vehicle gets, but with less than 55,000 miles on the vehicle and already experienced this many issues, not very impressed with the long term quality of this vehicle.
nestle555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

nestle555,

I would like to look into your situation in further detail. However, in order to do this I will some additional information from you. Please, check your private messages. Through a private message I will let you know that type of information that I will need.

Thank you,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Metalman
CMF Rookie Member

Smile Re: 2009 Malibu Brake Light Question

Nestle555,
Found some info on the web that older Malibus had a problem with a relay not making a good conection. Since I was having this problem too I figured what could it hurt to try this fix. I removed the relay(#49 I think) located next to the battery under the hood and reinserted it several times and also applied a little dielectric grease. So far so good, the problem hasn't recurred in the last three days. Try it, you won't do any damage and if it doesn't work you'll only be out $2.99 for a tube of grease.
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Nestle555,
Found some info on the web that older Malibus had a problem with a relay not making a good conection. Since I was having this problem too I figured what could it hurt to try this fix. I removed the relay(#49 I think) located next to the battery under the hood and reinserted it several times and also applied a little dielectric grease. So far so good, the problem hasn't recurred in the last three days. Try it, you won't do any damage and if it doesn't work you'll only be out $2.99 for a tube of grease.
New relays are not much more than that. Also, there are at least seven of those 8666 relays that are identical & interchangeable. Good way to test one is to swap it with another.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
l024308
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
red

I am also having this problem. When this happens the "Service Traction" and "service esc" is on the console. The trasction control triangle light is on the console. The car is in park and the brake lights are on. When the peddle is pressed the brake lights blink. When the peddle pressure is lifted the lights go off for about 2 seconds then come back on. Sounds like TSB 08-05-22-009 but 2009 Malibu is not listed in the TSB applications. I go to the dealer Monday. I will reply here after that.

Last edited by l024308; 07-16-2011 at 08:41 AM.
l024308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Lgndryhr
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Lgndryhr

l024308 your problem sounds similar to what happened to me. Post

Wife drives a 2013 Camaro 1LT (marriage gift to wife)

Looking to get another SS or a ZL1
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
tbern
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
White

I'm having the same issue with the brake light intermittently coming on. I had the pedal position sensor replaced but this is still an issue. Is cleaning & lubing the BCM the answer?
tbern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.