How-To: Install Switch and/or Lights in Overhead Console - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Lightbulb How-To: Install Switch and/or Lights in Overhead Console

This will take multiple posts due to the 4-image limit:

1. I decided where the new switch would go, paying attention to the bezel on the switch and interference from items already installed, including front and back of console cover and items inside the cavity when reinstalling.

Notice the wire that was trimmed and used to detect the wall around the lights. Turning it over I decided that the switch needed to move away just a little in order to install without issue.

The tape on the switch shows that its length is almost exactly the width of two pieces. So I used small pieces of tape on the measuring wire to mark the placement of the switch to transfer to the front.

2. I used the opening of the sunroof switch to determine that the new switch fit into it snugly, then taped the console to mark the sides. Using the measuring wire I made 4 marks next to the tape for the corners.

3. I drilled 4 small holes in the corners.

4. I used a circuit board as a straight-edge to scribe the proposed edges of the cut-out for the switch. (Had to tape the blasted craft knife to keep it from rolling off before I could snap the pic!)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

5. I then used a very rigid, industrial-grade razor to more deeply scribe the edges.

6. Then I drilled along the edge to remove a large amount of material.

7. I used the Irwin blade to remove the bulk by joining the holes.

8. Then I trimmed some more.

Muffler mod on '09
Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

9. After trimming, fitting, and trimming (and more trimming, and even more...) I was able to get the switch to insert. I tested the operation. It's a center-off momentary in both directions. It was just tight enough that it wouldn't return to center. More trimming...

Finally it fit and worked right!

10. Then I marked the center of the console (by eye) and determined where the 3 LED indicators would be mounted. I decided to mount them closely together so I could install 2 more switches in the future if I want to without any issues regarding placement.

The LED housing is narrower than a piece of tape so I conveniently used it to determine how far it was to the other 2 centers and marked them with another piece of wire bent to the right length. The little pieces of tape at the outer edges mark where there are pieces of white plastic inside the opening of the overhead cavity. Prevented me from mounting something there and having interference issues!

11. I drilled 3 small holes so the bit wouldn't "walk", then enlarged them to the final size with a larger bit. Installed and tightened them. I'm just OCD enough that I also made sure the red wires were all aligned toward the outer edge and the black ones were toward the center. Hey, neatness counts! ;>)

12. After wiring and final installation. (Dude, there's a gnarly scratch! Yeah, while cleaning up the LED holes I slipped. Damn!)

Operation:

Currently the driver's window is not part of this system, but someday I intend to modify the motor so I can add it in.

The switch is wired to my express up/down modules. With one press Open I can vent the "other" three. If I hold it 'til after they vent and start moving again they all go down all the way. When I press the Close position they all express up. The Open and Close positions match the sunroof's so it's operation is consistent, plus the new switch is contoured with a dip and a rise so I installed it in the same orientation as the sunroof's.

The LEDs are:

Left - Parking lights On
Center - CHMSL operation (Not hooked up yet but wire has been run to the lower console in preparation)
Right - Fog lights On (I know there's a yellow light on the switch, but it's hidden by the steering wheel spoke unless I either move my head or turn the wheel. Also not hooked up yet, but also wire has been run.)

Muffler mod on '09

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 05-28-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Oncewasarental
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist Metallic

Gallery: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Oncewasarental
Default Re: How-To: Install Switch and/or Lights in Overhead Console

Pretty cool man, keep em coming.
15% tint
Interior LED's on the way
Debadged trunk

Oncewasarental is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.