2003 Malibu heater temp on full?!?! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
snappy
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 0
Send a message via ICQ to snappy
Default 2003 Malibu heater temp on full?!?!

a few days ago my heat decides to stay on the highest temperature, just in time for summer. Even when I turn the temperature dial all the way to cold, AND turn on the A/C, it still blows HOT air. I can turn off the blower fan, but driving on the highway still forces hot air into the car. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: 2003 Malibu heater temp on full?!?!

You've posted in the Gen5&6 area. What year and model do you have? What engine? Do you have Automatic Climate Control?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
snappy
CMF Junior Member

oh sorry my bad

I have a 2003 v6 model. It does not have auto climate control, just the dials for blower, temp, and zone
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
defakto`
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu LS
Maroon

I have the same problem as well with my 2003 V6.

To further make it interesting. I replaced the entire switch cluster for the climate options today and the problem did not fix itself.

Something I noticed, that may need some digging on my part, or someone else's experience, is that the heat control is actually driven through some form of vacuum hose/air hose. It is not resistor based at all. I may try to trace the lines to see what's going on but I'm not sure how far under the dash they go.

Further compounding things, even with a new switch I am unable to use fan settings 1,2,3 only 4,5 work without issue.
defakto` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by defakto` View Post
I may try to trace the lines to see what's going on but I'm not sure how far under the dash they go.

Further compounding things, even with a new switch I am unable to use fan settings 1,2,3 only 4,5 work without issue.
They go all the way to a vacume operated little "motor" that moves a damper to select heated or cooled air. It is likely that the motor has failed or the damper is jammed. It is possible that the hose has pulled loose.......but I think the motor is inside the air ducts and is hard to get to; very hard.
There is another owner on here who is going through something similar.
Last post, I think he was still contemplating his next move.

If you got a new fan speed selector switch with the new panel, then either the motor is bad or some wires are broken........which is a different problem.

Replacing parts on a guess often turns out to be expensive and time consuming and frustrating. Good luck.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
defakto`
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu LS
Maroon

Just found a potential solution to the fan speed. There is a blower resistor pack, which, while not easy to replace, is user replaceable, and has a tendency to go bad on these cars for some reason. Pain to get to though.

I'm about 1/4 the way into ripping the dash apart to track the air lines from the switch. I doubt I'll get to it this weekend but the new cluster at least lets me turn on the recirculate so I don't get pure hot air as I drive down the road.

I can't afford to go have a dealer or someone fix either issue. So I will get a solution for it. Just give me time.
defakto` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
If you got a new fan speed selector switch with the new panel, then either the motor is bad or some wires are broken........which is a different problem.
You may mean this by "some wires are broken" - but these cars are known to burn out portions of the blower speed control resistor (right beside the motor).

Since there's only two wires to the motor, it's safe that IT works (might not be 100%, but not worth worrying about until we fix the proximate problem).

I'd swap the blower speed control resistor (little film pack, bolts in right beside the blower motor so the blower motor can help keep it cool) before I worried about much else with 1-2-3 dead, 4-5 working.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
You may mean this by "some wires are broken" -
Good catch. Forgot to mention that.
It could be the wires going to the pack.......but much more likely it IS the pack itself.

Seems like I remember having a fan where the bearings got tight.......and wouldn't turn until the voltage was on one of the high settings. I think that was on a 30+ year old car though.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by defakto` View Post
I'm about 1/4 the way into ripping the dash apart

I can't afford to go have a dealer or someone fix either issue. So I will get a solution for it. Just give me time.
It sounds like you are being deliberate and careful but tearing into the dash on a modern vehicle can be a costly and sometimes dangerous undertaking if you make just one tiny mistake and set off an air bag, for instance.

Good luck with your project; keep us posted.
Others may find your experiences educational.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
snappy
CMF Junior Member

I have read that this issue is caused by the air blend door motor failing OR the temp controller on the instrument pack failing. I guess the actuator motor is in behind the glove box and the entire dash doesn't need to be removed to get at this. I am going to buy a new control pack and actuator motor.

I took apart the instrument pack and all vacuum hoses seemed to be working properly. There are a few on the dial for each ZONE and then two other hoses for interior and exterior air flow..... apparently the HOT/COLD air is controlled solely by the dial and air blend door motor. If anyone knows for sure otherwise, I appreciate any and all insight!

tks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.