Blend Door Acurator - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Wozlo84
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Blend Door Acurator

I have a 2005 chevrolet malibu 3.5l v6 and this past winter i had a problem with no heat. I would have heat when the fan control was set to blow on your face and feet but when i put it to defrost to defrost the windows from fogging up, it would only blow cold air. I did a heater core flush, but that didn't do anything. I was told that i could be the blend door motor/acuator. Where is this located and is it easy to replace yourself?
Wozlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Default Re: Blend Door Acurator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozlo84 View Post
I was told that i could be the blend door motor/acuator. Where is this located and is it easy to replace yourself?
Could be but might be the "control panel" too......or a broken wire.....or maybe other things too. Taking wild guesses and changing out parts seldom works out good. You often end up spending more than if you just let a shop do a proper diagnosis and repair on it.

And, no, the blend doors and motors are usually not an easy fix. Many times the dashboard has to come off......at least partially......and you might break more than you fix if you aren't familiar with how everything comes apart.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Something to consider. When you turn it to defrost the system automatically turns on the AC. It dries the air, making it more efficient at removing fog from a window. That's why it comes out colder than other positions. But if you don't have enough hot water in the heater core, or if there isn't enough air blowing across it, or if the blend door allows too much cold air to mix, you'll get what you're getting.

You need to check all possible causes rather than be glued to a favorite. It may be best to start with the most likely, but don't discount the others if the most likely isn't the culprit.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Thank you for your replies. I do in fact know that it is the blend door actuator because i was told by a GM mechanic who diagnosed it.

Can anyone provide me with a drawing or pictures or some information as to where this is located and how to remove and replace it?
As for the first part, the first diagnosis that mechanics make are sometimes not correct. Then, when you get it all apart where you can SEE things, you need to test it to be sure before replacement. Do you know how to do that ?? THEN what if that is NOT the problem. You have the dashboard all apart and no other parts on hand. What next ??

The labor involved is expensive because getting TO the part in question takes a LOT of time........and experience to keep from mucking something else up in the process. Just one example is the airbags. If you set one of them off, it will be VERY expensive to replace and you could be injured too.

If you insist on trying to do it yourself ........and risk spending $500 in the end to save $200.......then you need to buy a shop manual, which should have most the pictures and instructions that you need.

I think that you likely are about to make a big mistake......but it's your car and your time and money. If you have never had a dashboard apart on a recent model car before, I'm about 100% sure it will be a mistake.

Please let us know how it turns out.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Exclamation Re: Blend Door Acurator

Quote:
Wow thanks for the reply Malibuken! That was awesome! I don't even know where to start with you! All i wanted was some direction on where the blend door actuator is located and i can't even get that. It is not your place or anyone elses to tell me what i can and cannot do! And for you to tell me that its a mistake for me to do this myself, you have no right to say that! You don't know me from a whole in the ground and you don't know my mechanical ability! This site has not been helpful at all to me with this post or my first one! All i got were a lot of ignorant people who assume that you are stupid and don't know anything about cars and have never worked on one! I'm done on this site!!
Listen, if you're gonna come to a public forum and ask for input you'd better be ready for what you get.

And if you don't like the replies you get then go ahead and run off crying. Boo hoo! Oh, I'm sorry, you're done with this site. You don't know how true that is! Here's your one and final warning: IF you even post another message it had better be an apology. Just because you don't like MalibuKen's response doesn't give you an excuse to startly blindly and wildly calling all the rest of the members names, inferring that we know nothing. Oh, wait! You're here to ask for help on how to work on a car, and you accuse us of knowing nothing about it. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Next time you open your mouth with a tirade like that, be careful that someone doesn't help you shut it!

If your next post isn't an apology, you'll be banned. Period. No more baby waa waa. Four posts and you're already calling us names. How pathetic!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.