power mirrors stoped working/ other problems - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
06malibuLS
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default power mirrors stoped working/ other problems

as the title says the power mirrors stoped working in my 06 the fuse is fine so it has to be something else any ideas?
also i have a cd stuck in the player this has happned before but resolved itself any tips on how to get it out
and when i accelerate sometimes (normaly at highway speeds) it seens to flutter a bit could this bee the trans flud/filter being stock or is there a bigger problem theres also a violent shaking when i hit the brakes at this speed but not lower speeds any ideas on that?

Last edited by 06malibuLS; 07-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.
06malibuLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Default Re: power mirrors stoped working/ other problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06malibuLS View Post
as the title says the power mirrors stoped working

also i have a cd stuck in the player this has happned before but resolved itself any tips on how to get it out

and when i accelerate sometimes (normaly at highway speeds) it seens to flutter a bit

also a violent shaking when i hit the brakes at this speed but not lower speeds any ideas on that?
Just for future reference, you should NOT let "things" like this pile up until you have a whole grocery list. They should be attended to one at a time as they first appear.

It is fairly obvious that you have 4 separate and distinct problems now but other individual things can sometimes appear related when they are not, causing the repair process to be more difficult than it needs to be.

You need to get an owners manual which will show the location of all the fuses. Maybe someone with that same year model can help in the mean time.

There may be a "manual eject" on the player. If nobody here knows about that, a dealer probably would. WHY is it stuck in there ??

The "flutter" when you push down the gas when cruising could just be normal transmission action, shifting out of overdrive. Does the tach needle go up a couple of hunderd RPMs when that happens? If so, it's likely normal.

Lastly, you should have a brake shop or dealer look at your brakes.....REAL SOON. There might be somethig worn or loose that could be dangerous.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

If neither of your mirrors work but the fuse is fine, it is likely the movement knob.

If just one failed then it's likely the selector switch.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
TheMuskr
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

your rotors need to be turned. mine did the same thing. rotor runout was out of tollerance

Enkei EKM3 18's, Kumho LX platinum 245/45/18, CAI, Tinted Tails, PTM badges
TheMuskr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Dear 06malibuLS,

I would have to agree with MalibuKen about getting the vehicle into the dealership if you cannot resolve these things on your own.

I look forward to reading any updates that you would like to provide to us.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
06malibuLS
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

well i wouldnt have let the car get in such bad shape if i were currenty empoyed so i cant afford to fix everything so for the time being its on a prority basis, as for the brakes im fairly sure its the right rear rotor again the darn thing seized up about 60,000 miles ago and tore into the rotor but i never fixed it properly so i need a new rotor and posibly hardware if its frozen again and i cant get it unstuck and greased up
as for the acceleration "flutter" its either the E3 plugs or the trans hopefully when it cools down i can give it a long overdue fluid and filter change and that might fix (fingers crossed)
and as for the mirrors well atlest they are stuck in right place so its not all that bad
what really amazes me is that it passed a PA inspection reccenty guess they dont check the back side of the rotors
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
as for the acceleration "flutter" its either the E3 plugs or the trans
I would suggest doing the plugs first.
Cheaper and easier......and less dangerous.
E3 plugs were mostly "snake oil", IIRC.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
06malibuLS
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

well i got a new trans filter and fluid i just have to wait until i get the rest of my tools back to do it so hopfully that will take care of the highway stumbling "fingers crossed" if thats not it my next guess is its something in the fuel system i just hope not i went to how much a fuel filter is and there almost $500 and located in the pump so it sounds like i would have to drop the tank to change it and i dont want to do that i dont think its a spark issue becase it only happens above 50 mph, also ive got the new E3's in it and they are a better plug not just "snake oil" it's been proven in lab tests with high speed cameras
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
also ive got the new E3's in it and they are a better plug not just "snake oil" it's been proven in lab tests with high speed cameras
In tests designed and paid for by the E3 maker......and as reported by them.

Reports from other more independent tests indicate that they are no better than a stock plug.

But if you think they are better, then they ARE better .......for you.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
06malibuLS
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

im just going by what ive seen on gears and horsepower tv and yea they arent alot better and may not be any better but they do have a satisfaction and 100,000 mile garantee which ive never seen on a normal plug so i figured they were worth a shot and they did seem to free up a few horses and improve MPG but then again compared to what i pulled out anything would have so its not a real fair test but if anyone else has put them in their malibu and had the same problem i would swich them out but i think its more trans related and back to that point i drove it again today and have more info that may help in determining exactly what it is it seems almost like either a slipping or mabey just not downshifting when it should becase it only "studders" when going over 50 mph and under 2000 rpm and going uphill not a steep hill or it will downshift but a slight hill and it hesitates unless i give it more gas to make it upshift then its fine
oh and the power mirrors moved allittle today but only the drivers side and only left to right so i think the swich might just be worn out

Last edited by 06malibuLS; 07-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.