Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to program remote transmitter?

30K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rodents 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a 2009 Malibu with 8,000 miles, and my wife lost her key and remote control. I bought a key and remote from Transponder Island Inc. After cutting the key I had no problem to program her key with my spare key.
BUT for the remote control, the dealer wants $59 to program it using my remote control (for which I paid $39 to Transponder Island Inc.).

Mind you, it's only for programming it, as the control is mine and I still have the other original remote.

Is there a way I can do it myself? Why is the dealer charging so much just for programming?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Black Bear

#3 ·
When I worked as a locksmith we could program remotes. Price them.

#5 ·
There's no function you can activate to program the remote. Some vehicles do let you do it, this one doesn't. If you have a good working relationship with your dealer, most will charge you little or nothing as it only takes a couple minutes to do. That said, the dealer does have to purchase a vast quantity of tools to work on today's vehicles, most are just sent to the dealer along with the bill for them and they aren't cheap. Charging to program your remote is a way to recoup some of that cost, 59 bucks, yeah I'll agree it's a lot, but call around or see if you can get your dealer to wiggle a little. If you bought the car from that dealer, they should realize something like this can make or break a customer relationship. Did you talk to the sales person or service manager by chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.