Door Lock Actuator Recall? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
ejvance03
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT

Gallery: 0
Angry Door Lock Actuator Recall?

Is there going to be a GM recall on the door lock actuators? It seems this is a huge problem on the 08 and 09 malibus. Our car is doing the same thing as everyone else has posted. Key fob doesn't lock/unlock and nor does the door switch for ALL 4 DOORS!!!
ejvance03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: Door Lock Actuator Recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvance03 View Post
Is there going to be a GM recall on the door lock actuators? It seems this is a huge problem on the 08 and 09 malibus. Our car is doing the same thing as everyone else has posted. Key fob doesn't lock/unlock and nor does the door switch for ALL 4 DOORS!!!
Door actuators (GM calls them door latches) generally die slowly over time one-at-a-time. Getting weaker & weaker as time progresses. That does not sound like your issue in your brief post.

(Rant warning) Door actuators are a weak point of all US (& many, if not most, foreign) car makers. Could they make them last ten years? Easily. Could they make them easy to replace? Of course. Where exactly is their incentive to do so? It's part of a business model. The Remington shaver business model specifically. It's applied almost universally in manufacturing.
FWIW: GM dealers will charge around $300 per each door to replace them. No different for the other makes. The phrase "cash cow" comes to mind.

Last edited by greenman; 07-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvance03 View Post
Is there going to be a GM recall on the door lock actuators?
If it does not affect safety or emissions.......they are not "required" to do a recall.

If enough people complain, however.............

I suggest that you contact the "warranty help department" listed in your owner's manual, even if it is OUT of warranty.

And if you stretch it, maybe door latches could be a safety issue so contact any government agency you can think of, like your Attorney Generals office or the CPSC or NTSB.

Those people who are actually HAVING the trouble MUST take some action.
"Outsiders" can't really help much.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
douglas92000
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
If it does not affect safety or emissions.......they are not "required" to do a recall.

If enough people complain, however.............

I suggest that you contact the "warranty help department" listed in your owner's manual, even if it is OUT of warranty.

And if you stretch it, maybe door latches could be a safety issue so contact any government agency you can think of, like your Attorney Generals office or the CPSC or NTSB.

Those people who are actually HAVING the trouble MUST take some action.
"Outsiders" can't really help much.
Are they covered under the extended warranty (GM Major Guard)?
douglas92000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas92000 View Post
Are they covered under the extended warranty (GM Major Guard)?
They may very well be covered by that. Ask a dealer.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Dear douglas92000,

I have read your post about your situation with your Malibu. You can read the information from the GM Protection Plan site that I have included.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html

However, I would have to agree with greenman and be sure to talk with your dealership to verify if this is something that is covered under the Major Guard program.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Redeye
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
White

A person thinking their doors are locked when they are not is a huge safety problem & liability issue for General Motors.

If someone pulls up to a red light & some thug enters that (so called) locked door & assaults, kills, or plunders then that seems to be a safety issue to me!

I'm currently going through this problem with 31,600 miles on my 2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V-6 but warranty expired last month. Checking the doors after parking or having to roll down the window to open the lock has removed some of my pleasure in owning my Malibu.

This problem is well documented & General Motors should take this opportunity to prove what kind of company they are going to be.

Last edited by Redeye; 08-07-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Redeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
This problem is well documented & General Motors had better take this opportunity to prove what kind of company they are going to be.
I hope YOU have registered your complaint with the proper Corporate office at GM.......or else the problem is not documented well enough.

And I cannot emphasize this enough:
YOU CAN ***NOT*** RELY ON YOUR DEALER TO REPORT THIS TO GM.
YOU MUST DO IT YOURSELF.

All the dealer cares about is getting YOU fixed at the max. profit for them.....or at the least cost......whichever situation it is.

Even the best service department on the planet doesn't really give a crap about all the rest of the owners out there. They really don't.

Last edited by MalibuKen; 07-25-2011 at 02:52 PM.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Redeye
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
I hope YOU have registered your complaint with the proper Corporate office at GM.......or else the problem is not documented well enough.

And I cannot emphasize this enough:
YOU CAN ***NOT*** RELY ON YOUR DEALER TO REPORT THIS TO GM.
YOU MUST DO IT YOURSELF.
They should be watching this board since Google goes here first when you search a problem with a Chevrolet. I think they would profit by taking care of loyal Chevrolet customers.

I called Chevrolet Repairs (800-222-1020) about my problem. A General Motors representative is calling me tomorrow & I will post their solution.

Thanks for the advice I will also try to contact the corporate office.

Last edited by Redeye; 07-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Redeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
ejvance03
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT

Yes, I agree with you Redeye about the "thug neigborhood" being a safety concern. But why did GM and all the other car companies start having the door locks go down when you put it in drive and unlock in park? Perhaps....SAFETY? I'm sure that was the rationale when they started doing that. But now that there is is a problem with it is it no longer a "Safety issue" just a "convenience issue"?
ejvance03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.