P0010 Service Code - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Gallery: 0
Default Re: P0010 Service Code

Assuming you are handy with a multimeter this is really simple & literally takes 10 minutes. Pull off the intake cover & the intake (radiator side) CMP actuator solenoid connector & measure the resistance across the two pins. Should be 8-12 ohms. If it's out of spec you've found it. If not, then it gets more complicated.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...1&d=1314412412
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0017.jpg
Views:	2623
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1483  

Last edited by greenman; 08-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
This is really simple & literally takes 10 minutes. Pull off the intake cover & the intake (radiator side) CMP actuator solenoid connector & measure the resistance across the two pins. Should be 8-12 ohms. If it's out of spec you've found it. If not, then it gets more complicated.
I want the vehicles you work on! The ones I get almost never go THAT easy. Intermittent is something I live with everyday. If they go that easy for you, enjoy it while it lasts.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
I want the vehicles you work on! The ones I get almost never go THAT easy. Intermittent is something I live with everyday. If they go that easy for you, enjoy it while it lasts.
It's just a quick & dirty thing that almost anyone can do & it's worth ten minutes to try. Who doesn't like it quick & dirty?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
rluck9277
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
Summit White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
I highly doubt you're going to correct your P0010 code with an oil change. Seeing that you changed it not long ago, even though you changed it and used the Royal Purple, I just don't see an even fair chance the Mobil 1 will be your solution. What I quoted was from GM service information, and that a low oil level or wrong viscosity oil COULD cause this issue. Some people still use different viscosity oil, like 10W40 or 20W50 and these modern engines don't always tolerate it well. The actuators and solenoids that VVT engines use are precision devices, designed for a specific viscosity oil. I believe Mopar had some issues a few years back and said that wrong viscosity oil was a major factor in their issues.

You can just throw a solenoid valve at it and have a good chance at being right. Remember though, this is intermittent, it could be a harness rubbing a stud somewhere or an internally broken wire. Really don't have a lot of issues with ECM's overall, they do fail but not in great numbers. Before you spend any money, take the engine cover off so you can see what you're doing and follow the harness as far as you can toward the ECM fom the solenoid valve. Look for anywhere the harness is lying against anything and just look close for any signs of abrasion. If you find any, address that first, if not, disconnect and reconnect the connector to the solenoid valve maybe 6 or 7 times. If there's any fretting corrosion, that working the connector back and forth should clean it up. All it'll cost you is your time, not the end of the world. Drive it around and see what happens. It takes 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and passes for the check engine light to turn off.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out more closely tomorrow. Since it sounds like it probably isn't oil related, I am hoping it is the solenoid. Trying to hunt down a bad wire can get ugly.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluck9277 View Post
Trying to hunt down a bad wire can get ugly.
You'll get no argument from me about that statement. But if you are capable with a multimeter, a lot of troubleshooting can be done without a tech 2.

The table formatting is lost in the posting of SI pages so this may be harder to interpret than it should be:

__________________________________________________ _______
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1885110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0010 or P0013
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0010: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0013: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
Open/High Resistance
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

Intake CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0010
P0010
P0010
P0011

Intake CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0010
--
--

Exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0013
P0013
P0013
P0014

Exhaust CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0013
--
--

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The engine is running.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the high control circuit or an open on the low reference circuit for more than 0.25 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P0010 and P0013 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTCs P0010 and P0013 are Type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
Command each CMP actuator to 25 percent. The CMP actuator angle desired parameter should match the CMP actuator actual parameter.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the CMP actuator solenoid harness connector at the CMP actuator solenoid.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal B and ground.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.

Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the low reference circuit terminal B and the control circuit terminal A.
⇒ If the test lamp illuminates, test the control circuit for short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Remove the test lamp.
Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is OK.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal A and the low reference circuit terminal B. Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is Fault.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.
Component Testing
Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

• Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming
2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by greenman; 08-27-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

It strikes me that is a lot of MIL activity for a type B DTC over four days time. It takes two consecutive drives cycles with a type B fault present to light the MIL & four consecutive drive cycles without a type B fault present to extinguish the MIL. I assume you have a lot of short hops in your driving day.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
rluck9277
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
Summit White

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
It strikes me that is a lot of MIL activity for a type B DTC over four days time. It takes two consecutive drives cycles with a type B fault present to light the MIL & four consecutive drive cycles without a type B fault present to extinguish the MIL. I assume you have a lot of short hops in your driving day.
Yeah, right now I am a full time student and a stay at home dad, so I have quite a few short drives during the day. I don't have a multi-meter or test light(about the only things I dont have). But I visually checked out the wires this morning, and there is no sign of any chaffing or damage. We are going to a friends lake house today and it is about an hour drive one way, so I will see if the light comes back on. I think if it comes on again, I will pick a new solenoid and install it. If I have any issues after that I will have to do some more digging.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
rluck9277
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
Summit White

So my light kept coming on going out, so after a very close inspection of all the wires for a second time resulted in smoking gun, I picked a solenoid. I installed it last friday, and so far no more light. It was a very easy job to do, and it took me longer to remove the engine cover than to change the solenoid.

I could have picked up a solenoid from GMPARTSDIRECT.com for $29, but there shipping was another $20, so I just picked it up from a local dealer for $55. So hopefully this fixes my issue.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
pumm3l
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS

Does anyone know if the intake and exhaust solenoids are the same part?

When I search gmpartsdirect for solenoid it comes up with just one part. Found this post during a search. I have the following codes:

P0013 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit
P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

I have a 2009 Malibu LS 2.4, based on the photo that greenman posted he says the intake solenoid is closest to the radiator, I would assume the sensor right next to it is the exhaust solenoid then?

The part that came up on gmpartsdirect is 12636175, it doesn't indicate exhaust or intake and it also only lists for a 3.6 which is confusing and making me question if it's the correct part.

thanks

Last edited by pumm3l; 10-03-2011 at 09:47 AM.
pumm3l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumm3l View Post
Does anyone know if the intake and exhaust solenoids are the same part?

When I search gmpartsdirect for solenoid it comes up with just one part. Found this post during a search. I have the following codes:

P0013 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit
P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

I have a 2009 Malibu LS 2.4, based on the photo that greenman posted he says the intake solenoid is closest to the radiator, I would assume the sensor right next to it is the exhaust solenoid then?

The part that came up on gmpartsdirect is 12636175, it doesn't indicate exhaust or intake and it also only lists for a 3.6 which is confusing and making me question if it's the correct part.

thanks
They are not the same part. Your problem is on the exhaust side, closest to the firewall. Have you checked the resistance across the pins? You don't even have to remove them to check it. Should be 5-9 Ω. If they fall in that range, your problem is elsewhere.

You might call & ask why the exhaust solenoid (part 718) is missing from this list. Might just be out of stock.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=364278

Last edited by greenman; 10-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.