Oil Light comes on and then turns off while driving. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
sjkslk09
CMF Rookie Member
1998 Malibu LS
Beige

Gallery: 0
Default Oil Light comes on and then turns off while driving.

Could anyone tell me why my oil light comes on temporarily while driving. I just changed the oil about 700 miles ago and the oil level is still full & looks like new still. I replaced the oil sensor and the problem is still there. Any thoughts, cuz I'm
sjkslk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Default Re: Oil Light comes on and then turns off while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkslk09 View Post
I replaced the oil sensor and the problem is still there. Any thoughts, cuz I'm
Maybe.....just maybe.....while you had the pressure sensor out, you should have actually measured the pressure ???

It can be caused by a variety of things from a plugged filter to an oil pump going bad to worn out bearings.

Does it come on at idle and then go off when you speed the engine up ??

At any rate, you probably should NOT drive it until you find out exactly what is going on. If the pressure is down because of a failing pump or a blockage, you might be chewing up your engine.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Yeah really you need to check the oil pressure with an external gauge to know what's really there. Should be 60psi at 1850 rpm using 5W30 oil.
Rodents is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
sjkslk09
CMF Rookie Member
1998 Malibu LS
Beige

Thumbs up Re: Oil Light comes on and then turns off while driving.

Thanks for the advice.

To answer your question, the oil light only comes on when I'm driving. It comes on & then goes right back out about a second or two later.

Something else I didn't mention is that I just had this engine completely rebuilt due to bad crank bearings. The engine currently has about 1500 miles on it since I put it back in & about 1000 miles since I changed the oil. I also only use 5W30 conventional oil, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
Maybe.....just maybe.....while you had the pressure sensor out, you should have actually measured the pressure ???

It can be caused by a variety of things from a plugged filter to an oil pump going bad to worn out bearings.

Does it come on at idle and then go off when you speed the engine up ??

At any rate, you probably should NOT drive it until you find out exactly what is going on. If the pressure is down because of a failing pump or a blockage, you might be chewing up your engine.
sjkslk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkslk09 View Post
Something else I didn't mention is that I just had this engine completely rebuilt due to bad crank bearings.
No reason to mention that; surely it could NOT be a factor..........
<sarcasm off>

You need to get it back to whomever did the lower end rebuild. Something is screwed up with the oil flow......or (pray a bit) that the wires are not making good contact going to the pressure sensor.

If you continue to drive it, you are flirting with disaster.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
edpent
CMF Rookie Member
2007 Malibu MAXX
silver

I have the same problem and have not had any engine work. I also get a "low oil level" warning on the DIC. I changed the oil level sensor and wiring; still both issues. I plan to change the oil pressure sensor tonight; maybe related?
edpent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
edpent
CMF Rookie Member
2007 Malibu MAXX
silver

I replaced oil pressure sensor and solved the problem. Oil level alarm on the DIC is still a problem however when I disconnected the battery to replace the pressure sensor the oil level alarm went off for 2 days then came back on. I may short the harness and forget about it.
edpent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

It would not be a short in the wiring, more likely an open circuit/lose connection. Fail safe design. Otherwise if a wire were to break you could end up driving with low oil and think everything was fine.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.