Service Traction Control/ ECS - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Jimmyb1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 2.4 2LT
RED

Gallery: 0
Default Service Traction Control/ ECS

Saw there hasn't been a post on this for awhile.
Had the Traction Control/ECS issue. First noticed the cruise control kicked off, my RPM went up, the car slowed down. I switched over to manual mode. The warning messages were flashing on and off. I held the info button down and they reset. Since it has been a long time since it has happened I wanted to wait a few days before I took it into the dealer. Seems to be happening everyday now. Starts soon after I get into highway cruise speeds. Don't notice it much around town. Doesn't keep a hard fail so I might just have a damaged brake control module or a wiring problem. The dealer Service will hopefully find some stored codes to help narrow it down.
Jimmyb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: Service Traction Control/ ECS

Are the brake lamps on when they shouldn't be?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
David305
CMF Rookie Member
10 Malibu LS
Gold mist metallic

Something happend to me, turned out to be the right front harness, got a new one off the warranty
David305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Jimmyb1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 2.4 2LT
RED

The brake lights didn't come on that I noticed. I will look for that.
I will take it in today to see what codes if any are stored. I noticed this morning that it occurred when the car's cruise control is on and I was on a downgrade. The cruise went off and the traction warning lamp came on. I hope it does it again on the way to the dealer. Hate showing up and and there isn't a symptom.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb1 View Post
Maybe have someone follow you for awhile.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
I will take it in today to see what codes if any are stored. I noticed this morning that it occurred when the car's cruise control is on and I was on a downgrade. The cruise went off and the traction warning lamp came on. I hope it does it again on the way to the dealer. Hate showing up and and there isn't a symptom.
Keep me updated in regards to your progress at the dealer. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Jimmyb1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 2.4 2LT
RED

The Service dept. at Seaview In Lynnwood didn't find anything conclusive in the codes so they relearned the brake pedal. Same thing happened the next 2 mornings on the way to work. Didn't happen on the way home though. I hate intermittant problems. Left the car overnight pick it up today hopefully. i did noticed a down shift as the ECS light came on and the cruise kicked off. Thanks for the note Tricia
Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

If your concern does not seem to be resolved, please feel free to contact me privately. Be sure to include your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealer information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
The Service dept. at Seaview In Lynnwood didn't find anything conclusive in the codes so they relearned the brake pedal. Same thing happened the next 2 mornings on the way to work. Didn't happen on the way home though. I hate intermittant problems. Left the car overnight pick it up today hopefully. i did noticed a down shift as the ECS light came on and the cruise kicked off. Thanks for the note Tricia
I'm guessing their next attempt at a fix will be putting dielectric silicone gel on the BCM connector.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

If the traction control kicked off there almost has to be a trouble code stored somewhere, not on your paperwork from the dealer? Here's a bulletin, you may want to print this out and take it with you to the dealer next time.

#08-05-22-009C: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamps) Do Not Function Correctly, Cruise Control Inop, DTCs C0131/C0161/C0277 (Perform Repair Outlined) - (Sep 30, 2010)

Subject: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamps) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTCs C0131, C0161 or C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2008-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

2005-2010 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-22-009B (Section 05 - Brakes).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0131, C0161 and/or C0277 may be set.

Cause
The most likely cause of this condition is high resistance due to terminal fretting corrosion in the body control module (BCM) C2 or X2 connector (specifically pins 18, 31 and 59).

Correction
DO NOT replace the BCM for this condition. Disconnecting the C2 or X2 connector, adding dielectric lubricant and reconnecting the connector per the procedure below will correct the high resistance condition due to terminal fretting corrosion.

Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Locate the C2 or X2 connector on the BCM.
Unlatch the connector and disconnect the connector from the BCM.
Apply dielectric lubricant (clear gel), GM P/N 12377900 (in Canada, use P/N 10953529) or equivalent, on all the connector pins (apply with a one-inch nylon bristle brush). This will treat the pins against fretting corrosion.
Reconnect the connector back on the BCM and re-latch. Wipe away any excess lubricant.
Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.
Using the Tech 2, check that the BPPS ratio is equal to BPPS learned home when the brake pedal is not depressed.
• If they are equal, the brake lamps should be operating correctly and no further steps are necessary.

• If they are not equal, perform the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration procedure in SI to complete the repair.

Verify proper operation of the brake lights. If incorrect, refer to SI and perform normal diagnostics.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.