Heater Core replacement tips? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
ClassiX2
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Heater Core replacement tips?

I need to replace the heater core (catastrophic failure, stop-leak won't work) in my 2004 Classic. Chilton's describes the process--basically involves removing the entire dash from the car.

I can follow instructions, but was wondering if anyone had some special tricks or tips to cut down on the amount of disassembly required?

Thanks,
Rick
ClassiX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: Heater Core replacement tips?

You do realize that you're going to need to recover and recharge the A/C system correct? I can't say off the top of my head if there's any real short cuts, can't say I've done more than one or two of these myself and none recently. Quite a bit of removal here, sure you're up to it? If you get it apart and then decide you don't want to finish it, best of luck to you, some shops don't take that very well. If you need some more detail than Chilton gives, I'll try to help from GM service information.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
ClassiX2
CMF Rookie Member

Yes, Chilton's was pretty clear about the A/C issue, which is a bummer as that system is working just fine. I've got a few days cleared to put into it and will be taking notes as I go. This is definitely more complex than the last two cores I did--'49 Ford F-1 and a '56 Buick Century.

How long does the GM manual think this should take? I'll probably need triple that! Thanks for the assistance.

Rick
Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
ClassiX2
CMF Rookie Member

Well, I'm 3 hrs in. Chilton's isn't as clear or as applicable for this year and model as I thought it would be. I thought I was removing the dash COVER, which I did--mostly, until the steering wheel got in the way, a little detail not mentioned by Chiltons.

What it looks like the manufacturer intended is the removal of the ENTIRE DASH ASSEMBLY including sub-structures. That means there is nothing left between the seats and the firewall. Not sure if I'm ready to do that. I think I'll spend a few hours under the dash looking for other options.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

If I can make a suggestion - Since you'll be recovering the freon ANYWAY, I'd swap the evaporator while you were in there. My plans are when I swap the dash (which is cracked!) on the Cougar, I'll be swapping both cores while it's apart. Just because Ford apparently hung both in mid air and built the car around them ...

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Now you've seen the light. I think Alldata showed 6.6 hrs to do the evap core not including recovery and recharge of the A/C system. Once you've done a couple yeah maybe down and back in a day, first one is not a money maker though. That's the bad part about the Haynes and Chilton type books anymore, they can't cover the material thoroughly enough for doing every job. Alldata is the same thing, just enough info to get you into trouble, then you're on your own.
If you still want to do this, let me know and I'll see if I can print out some of the stuff you need so I can email it to you. It's not the good old days anymore. I think you're going to find there's a couple screws and a panel or two in your way, not much but just enough to keep it from being done.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
ClassiX2
CMF Rookie Member

Good news! The heater core case is a 2 part unit--a few screws and the lower cover came off, a couple of nuts on the engine side of the firewall to make the core slide out easier, and it's out. Evap core not affected at all--it's farther up in the case--so there was no need to recover and recharge the A/C system at all--too bad I already paid for that...

Will do a detailed write-up when I've got the thing back together, paying careful attention to what DID NOT have to be done. BTW--it was Hayes, not Chilton's that led me astray.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Good! By the picture in GM service information it wasn't real clear if there were screws hidden along the way. Usually just a couple screws or a panel somewhere cause a lot of additional labor but you got it. Great. Books are only guides.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
F9thskynet
CMF Rookie Member
2002 Malibu LS
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassiX2 View Post
Good news! The heater core case is a 2 part unit--a few screws and the lower cover came off, a couple of nuts on the engine side of the firewall to make the core slide out easier, and it's out. Evap core not affected at all--it's farther up in the case--so there was no need to recover and recharge the A/C system at all--too bad I already paid for that...

Will do a detailed write-up when I've got the thing back together, paying careful attention to what DID NOT have to be done. BTW--it was Hayes, not Chilton's that led me astray.
Okay Iím sorry to rehash this topic but Iím new here and a noob I can't figure how to start a new thread.

okay so Iím working on a Malibu classic ď02Ē and Iím trying to replace the heater core and mine is not as simple as those hidden screws as mentioned before so I have to remove the dash through I been stuck on this car for 4 days now!

I am at the point to remove the steering wheel and for whatever reason I can't get it off I broke two wheel puller sets and now Iím using steering wheel puller set J-42120 from snap on tools, the two sets before were rented from auto zone and they just snapped. I have done quite a few heater cores before and usually I just lower the entire column but on this model for some reason they decided not to add a service panel under the dash so I can't lower the hole column like I normally do, the problem Iím having is the wheel is either stuck or seized you choose witch ever you want it to be it just wonít come off I tried soaking the splines with liquid wrench, lightly tapping center of spindle w/hammer to see if it will loosen I have even tried just yanking on wheel w/no success I tried working around the wheel with the dash loose but that has proven to be more of a hassle so Iím hoping someone can help....... PLEASE HELP.
F9thskynet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
F9thskynet
CMF Rookie Member
2002 Malibu LS
Green

does not no one?
F9thskynet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.