cant shift out of park - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
lilroc1970
CMF Rookie Member
08 Malibu

Gallery: 0
Default cant shift out of park

my car starts up but doesnt wanna shift out of park and also key is getting stuck.wht do i do
lilroc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: cant shift out of park

Mine does the same very occasionally. Haven't got around to fixing it. Could be your park lock cable is broken or just needs adjusting. But it could also be the brake-tranny shift interlock solenoid is sticky. Both are covered in the Haynes Malibu.

Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2001332
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Park Lock Cable Adjustment

Place the floor shift lever in the PARK position.
Turn the ignition key cylinder to the LOCK position.
If the front floor console is in place, remove the console. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement.

Important:

The key must not be able to be removed from the ignition cylinder with the transmission control lever in any position other than PARK. If the key can be removed in any other position, adjustment or repair is necessary.

The shift lever must not move from park unless the key is in the ON position. If the lever can be removed from park with the key in the OFF position, adjust or repair the park lock cable.

While using a small screwdriver to release the adjuster lock tang, rotate the threaded cable adjuster (1) until 3 threads are showing.
Re-check park lock operation. If park lock does not function, fine tune the cable 1/2 turn at a time until the proper operation is achieved.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...1&d=1315507966
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1922729
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation

The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:

The automatic transmission shift lock solenoid (serviced as the automatic transmission shift lock actuator), as well as the body control module (BCM) and the engine control module (ECM). The shift lock solenoid is located within the floor shift control assembly with vehicles equipped with floor shift.

The BCM controls the voltage to the shift lock control solenoid through the shift lock control solenoid controlled voltage circuit. The following conditions must be met before the BCM will remove voltage from the shift lock solenoid:

- The ignition is in the ON position.

- The engine control module (ECM) sends an input via GMLAN serial data to the BCM indicating the transmission is in the PARK position.

- The BCM determines the brake pedal is applied according the brake pedal position.

Since the shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded, the BCM supplies voltage to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid, mechanically locking the shift lever in the PARK position as the solenoid energizes. When the brake pedal is applied, the BCM turns the control voltage output of the shift lock control solenoid OFF, de-energizing the shift lock control solenoid. The de-energized solenoid releases the mechanical lock allowing the driver to move the shift lever out of the PARK position. When the transmission is out of the PARK position, the shift lock control solenoid remains de-energized.

During remote start operation, the BCM will energize the shift lock control circuit, locking the shift lever in the PARK position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parklockcable.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1497  

Last edited by greenman; 09-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Another trick that might work is to insert the key and turn to ACC, step on brake, pull from P to N, start car.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilroc1970 View Post
my car starts up but doesnt wanna shift out of park and also key is getting stuck.wht do i do
This is likely two different problems. I doubt that they are related.

The key problem might be due to the mechanism that locks the steering when it's OFF. For that, try turning the steering wheel back and forth an inch or two while making sure the key is in the "notch" for OFF.

The most basic suggestion for the shifting problem is to push on the brake harder when trying to shift; not REAL hard but just a little more. Mine sometimes does that if I'm not paying attention close enough (so does my truck).

Another possibility is that the car has rolled a tiny bit because you are parked on a hill; that makes it harder to come out of PARK. When you park on a hill, you should set the parking brake BEFORE you put the transmission in park to prevent that.

Last edited by MalibuKen; 09-08-2011 at 06:29 AM.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Schmally
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Silver

Have you spilled coffee or soda in the shifter assembly?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

Is this an 08 new body style or 08 classic? It might make a difference.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
lilroc1970
CMF Rookie Member
08 Malibu

thx guys for ur help and its an 08 classic..i had a friend look at it and he was able to show me how to mess with the park lock cable,.and tht helped getting it out of park but i do think its sticky..havent had a chance to get around to take it apart..and he said tht i need the ignition cylinder fixed...
lilroc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.