Oil filter adapter leak. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
jb94
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Oil filter adapter leak.

2006 3.5 liter Malibu LTZ. I have an oil leak between the oil filter adapter and the block. Endless searching has not turned up anything on what type of seal is between the two. Is it an O ring or a gasket ? Any ideas on where I can find a replacement? Thanks in advance for the help.
jb94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Default Re: Oil filter adapter leak.

@jb94, have you visited such sites as Advance Auto or Autozone? These websites or even a phone call to them might prove to be helpful to your situation.

Please, keep in mind that the above websites that I have mentioned are not maintained by General Motors and we do not endorse the content that is in them.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb94 View Post
2006 3.5 liter Malibu LTZ. I have an oil leak between the oil filter adapter and the block. Endless searching has not turned up anything on what type of seal is between the two. Is it an O ring or a gasket ? Any ideas on where I can find a replacement? Thanks in advance for the help.
Should be a metal plate type gasket with a sealing ring in the plate. Not sure if the aftermarket has them yet but your local dealer should.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
jb94
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
@jb94, have you visited such sites as Advance Auto or Autozone? These websites or even a phone call to them might prove to be helpful to your situation.

Please, keep in mind that the above websites that I have mentioned are not maintained by General Motors and we do not endorse the content that is in them.

Thanks. Yes I have been to the websites. Didn't turn up much . I'll give them a call and see. I have a feeling I'll have to see a dealer for this one.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@jb94, no problem. I apologize that you didn't find what you were looking for on the sites that I suggested. Did you call the dealership's parts department to see if you can get the part number from them?

Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
jb94
CMF Rookie Member

Here is the fix........about 10 bucks from your local GM parts counter. That's the old one in the photo.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
tjamscad
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
I have a 2005 LT 3.5 what made you go to the adapter gasket in the first place.
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
benfranklin
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Here is the fix........about 10 bucks from your local GM parts counter. That's the old one in the photo.

That's the baby. It's an easy fix. Remove the air cleaner tube and housing. Release the tension on the belt. Remove the two nuts on the front of the air compressor. The studs will come out too which is fine. Under the car loosen the third air compressor bolt. Only needs to be loosened to let the compressor move a little. Now you can get to the oil filter adapter bolt that was hidden. Loosen it. Remove the other two bolts and remove the adapter. Replace the gasket and install.

That gasket leaking is a common problem.
benfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.