2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
coopdog
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Grey

Gallery: 0
Default 2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

I have a check engine light, which has been coming and going for 2 months. I took my car to Pep Boys and they plugged in the code reader and told me it is the intake camshaft position sensor. They said they wanted to charge me $89 to run a diagnostic (which would not count toward the repair).

Should I just replace the sensor myself?? I can probably figure out how to pull off the plastic engine cover (although I have never had it off before). Then, if I have a new camshaft position sensor, I can probably find the part on the engine that looks like it and then swap it out. Is this something I should try myself???

Coop
coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage
Default Re: 2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

Have you checked to see if it is covered under warranty yet? It is easy to replace if the sensor is the problem. The only one I encountered with this code was a wiring problem at the PCM, but that was because the car was in an accident. So, if it isn't under warranty and you want to just try the sensor it is located below the oil fill hole in the cylinder head.

I would check to make sure the connector is fully seated before doing anything. If you change the sensor the bolt torque spec is 89 in lbs. Also, before putting in the new sensor lubricate the o-ring on the sensor with clean engine oil and be sure everything is clean.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: 2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdog View Post
I have a check engine light, which has been coming and going for 2 months. I took my car to Pep Boys and they plugged in the code reader and told me it is the intake camshaft position sensor. They said they wanted to charge me $89 to run a diagnostic (which would not count toward the repair).

Should I just replace the sensor myself?? I can probably figure out how to pull off the plastic engine cover (although I have never had it off before). Then, if I have a new camshaft position sensor, I can probably find the part on the engine that looks like it and then swap it out. Is this something I should try myself???

Coop
What was the exact code? This may turn out to be a very simple repair, but we really need the code to help. It may well be something other than the cmp sensor.

Last edited by greenman; 09-25-2011 at 09:18 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Kels
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Silver

@ chev yguy 8893- I have the same problem to my car. There are two sensors, one of the front and the back of the cylinder. Are you trying to say that one of those sensors is the INTAKE camshaft sensor?
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
@ chev yguy 8893- I have the same problem to my car. There are two sensors, one of the front and the back of the cylinder. Are you trying to say that one of those sensors is the INTAKE camshaft sensor?
What code/s are you getting?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Kels
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Silver

I'm getting P0010
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
2001FZ1
CMF Senior Member

spreading the word. P0010 fault will probably be covered under the 5yr, 100k warranty
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...?t=8987&page=2
2001FZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
vasikmechanic
CMF Rookie Member

Post Re: 2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
I'm getting P0010
i have the same exact code and i have 2009 chevy malibu hybrid one of the sensors is in front top of the engine kind of, above the oil filter housing i replaced it but the check engine light still sometimes comes on, im guessing it has to do with the recall that they are working on getting parts for that has to do with the traction control/ service ECS and power steering???? that pops up at random and my car starts acting little weird when it swithches gears idk why if anyone knows how to turn it off before the recall becomes active please let me know because its really annoying. the traction control turn off button doesnt work anymore!!!!! And it says code p0010 and says its the camshaft sensor in bank 1???? where is the bank 1 sensor? maybe i replaced the wrong one?

Last edited by vasikmechanic; 08-12-2014 at 04:17 PM.
vasikmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
SBUBandit
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu LE9/4T45
Silver Ice Met.

Garage

My CEL came on Wednesday on my way home from work, and mine is still under bumper to bumper, so I dropped it off Saturday morning at the dealer. They fixed it in an hour. all good now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.