01 chevy malibu cooling fan issue - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
mainman1
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu
green

Gallery: 0
Default 01 chevy malibu cooling fan issue

Hope there is some help out there.
My 2001 chev malibu is overheating, due to the cooling fans not turning on. "This car has been sitting for 2 years"
So, Ive replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, tested all 3 relays and fuses which are all working correctly, pulled the pig connector off the coolant temp sensor and the fans turn on, bought a OBD2 reader and have no fault coming up, Ive had the intake gaskets done, ive performed the A/C test where you turn on the A/C and one of the cooling fans should turn on and neither are, searching the net for people with the same problem to see what fixed there problem. Hope to hear from some of you in regards to this issue.
Thanks Malibu owners and techs
mainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: 01 chevy malibu cooling fan issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman1 View Post
Hope there is some help out there.
My 2001 chev malibu is overheating, due to the cooling fans not turning on. "This car has been sitting for 2 years"
So, Ive replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, tested all 3 relays and fuses which are all working correctly, pulled the pig connector off the coolant temp sensor and the fans turn on, bought a OBD2 reader and have no fault coming up, Ive had the intake gaskets done, ive performed the A/C test where you turn on the A/C and one of the cooling fans should turn on and neither are, searching the net for people with the same problem to see what fixed there problem. Hope to hear from some of you in regards to this issue.
Thanks Malibu owners and techs
This overheating occurs real soon after startup? If the gauge just shoots up real quick, it could be head gaskets/cracked head or cracked block. If it warms up normal and just sitting in traffic it overheats, it would be nice to see what the PCM thinks coolant temp is. Odd that the fans came on when you disconnected the coolant temp sensor but not at any other time. Both fans came on or just one? Fuses COOL FAN 1 and COOL FAN 2 have 12 volts if you check them with a meter? If you have a way to jump past the relay without spreading the terminals in the fuse block, pull the fan relays out and jump pins 30 to 87 in the fuse block, the fans should work. The relays have pin numbers on them if you look closely at the bottom of the relay.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
mainman1
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu
green

The overheating doesnt occur right away. It warms up normally and the slowly keeps rising. (vehicle is idle in the driveway) I havent let it quiet get to 3/4 of the way on the gauge. Both fans came on when i disconnected the coolant temp sensor. Which also makes the car rev up. After i did this I turned the car off and plugged the OBM2 back in and got a P0118 code. Which is engine coolant temp sensor high current i believe. Plugged the coolant temp sensor back in fans go off and turn the car off plug in the OBD2 and no codes. I will check for 12volts on cool fan 1 and 2 fuses. In regards to jumping past the relays. If im understanding you correctly, you would like me to put a jumper wire between 30 and 87 female terminals in fuse block. (meaning installing a wire between where the relay pins 30 and 87 would go in the fuse block)?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Wrong section, moving...

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
99'Bu
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

Not that it solves your problem... but the fans turn on when the temp sensor is unplugged because they're programmed to do that as a fail safe.

So at least you know that there is some communication going on there.
99'Bu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
The overheating doesnt occur right away. It warms up normally and the slowly keeps rising. (vehicle is idle in the driveway) I havent let it quiet get to 3/4 of the way on the gauge. Both fans came on when i disconnected the coolant temp sensor. Which also makes the car rev up. After i did this I turned the car off and plugged the OBM2 back in and got a P0118 code. Which is engine coolant temp sensor high current i believe. Plugged the coolant temp sensor back in fans go off and turn the car off plug in the OBD2 and no codes. I will check for 12volts on cool fan 1 and 2 fuses. In regards to jumping past the relays. If im understanding you correctly, you would like me to put a jumper wire between 30 and 87 female terminals in fuse block. (meaning installing a wire between where the relay pins 30 and 87 would go in the fuse block)?
Why do you think you have an overheating problem?
The temp gauge will go about 3/4 of the way until the fans turn on at somewhere close to 228 degrees. Does the A/C work? If the A/C doesn't work, turning it on won't turn the fans on. Yes, you understand correctly about jumping past the relays. What happened when you unplugged the coolant temp sensor sounds right without me looking it up to verify it. I'm beginning to question if you really have an issue at all.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

The OP may not have a problem.

I was that way back in 2002 with my 2000 Malibu - but the mechanic I was using at the time was kind enough to let me watch him monitor the ECM's ECT sensor reading.

The fan WOULD come on at about 228F - which was right below the red mark on my temp gauge!

Now, if the fan isn't turning on when the compressor for the A/C is engaged, that's a problem.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
The OP may not have a problem.
Now, if the fan isn't turning on when the compressor for the A/C is engaged, that's a problem.

RwP
That's why I asked if the A/C worked. The ECM may see A/C request but it may not turn the fans ON if the A/C permission is NO. I'd suspect low refrigerant charge first if the A/C didn't work.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 01-30-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: As requested by member
Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
mainman1
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu
green

I will try running the temp gauge as high as i can to see if the coolant fans kick in. If no success is found i will take my car into a GM dealer and have my A/C unit checked out unless there is something i can do.
Thanks for all the help my wife and I really appreciate.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Quote:
I will try running the temp gauge as high as i can to see if the coolant fans kick in. If no success is found i will take my car into a GM dealer and have my A/C unit checked out unless there is something i can do.
Thanks for all the help my wife and I really appreciate.
Before you do that yourself, get yourself a scanner that can monitor the ECT numbers - I'd hate for you to blow your motor because both the fan and the temp gauge were broken.

Monitor that, and see if the fan kicks on at about 220 to 230F. That'll also give you a ballpark for what that temp gauge actually means at various settings.

If you don't have one - I've posted links to a Bluetooth unit that can be paired with an Android or Windows Mobile phone to run software to monitor (I *HEART* Torque on my Android ... but eh.) There's also WiFi capable ones for iDevices. And of course the USB units for laptops.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.