Transmission Fluid Level - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
nertil1
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Midnight Blue

Gallery: 0
Default Transmission Fluid Level

I can't tell the level of the transmission fluid on my malibu (09, 4 cyl) I know some versions have the dip stick. Is it possible to buy this dipstick or no?

Thanks guys.
nertil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Transmission Fluid Level

4-cyl version uses the ol' "pop the plug and wait'll she leaks" method. If you do a search you'll find it's been discussed and there are detailed instructions on how to check it and/or fill it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nertil1 View Post
Is it possible to buy this dipstick or no?
NO, not practical.
Getting the simple parts would probably not be a problem.
Mounting them to the transmission, however, would be a MAJOR hassle.
Not recommended.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
nertil1
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Midnight Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
4-cyl version uses the ol' "pop the plug and wait'll she leaks" method. If you do a search you'll find it's been discussed and there are detailed instructions on how to check it and/or fill it.
I know about removing the plug and checking it that way but I though maybe there was a dipstick I could get. I guess not, thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@nertil1, the transmission is self contained and there is no dip stick to check the level of the fluid. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Unhappy Re: Transmission Fluid Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nertil1 View Post
I know about removing the plug and checking it that way but I though maybe there was a dipstick I could get. I guess not, thanks guys!
Yep, you just found out that the engineers don't want you checking the fluid level. Heaven forbid there were any issues like poor workmanship, porous case, faulty gasket, stripped threads, or some other unplanned-for issue. Just one more reason I'm glad to have the V6 version that has a dipstick! Sorry that yours doesn't - I don't mean it to sound like I'm rubbing it in. Instead I'm lamenting the decision of whoever decided not to include one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
@nertil1, the transmission is self contained and there is no dip stick to check the level of the fluid. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Truly an inconvenience for the motoring public that a car doesn't allow you to check its vital fluids. I don't mean to belabor this, but if you would, please let GM know that we, as owners, feel it was a dismally poor decision to excluded the dipstick. Yes, a very "minor" part, but it helps keep track of the vital fluid in a very major component.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
nertil1
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Midnight Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Yep, you just found out that the engineers don't want you checking the fluid level. Heaven forbid there were any issues like poor workmanship, porous case, faulty gasket, stripped threads, or some other unplanned-for issue. Just one more reason I'm glad to have the V6 version that has a dipstick! Sorry that yours doesn't - I don't mean it to sound like I'm rubbing it in. Instead I'm lamenting the decision of whoever decided not to include one.

Truly an inconvenience for the motoring public that a car doesn't allow you to check its vital fluids. I don't mean to belabor this, but if you would, please let GM know that we, as owners, feel it was a dismally poor decision to excluded the dipstick. Yes, a very "minor" part, but it helps keep track of the vital fluid in a very major component.
It's not that it's hard to check the level by removing the bolt but even then you need a level surface and not all of us have access to lifts. That makes it worse.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

I'm with Nertil1.

The engineers seem to think that the seals will last forever, and the accountants want us to buy a new car when the seals start to leak.

So yah, I've got that on my "Really, REALLY poor decisions from GM that helped to kill it!" list.

(Glad yours has a dipstick, DrivenDaily. MY Gen5 doesn't. Well, it has one -the dipstick that bought it with such a critical piece of equipment designed out of it. )

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
nertil1
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Midnight Blue

I'm an engineer myself so it's baffling to me why they didn't put one in. It couldn't have possibly have cost that much extra to add one.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
TexasAggie
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6
Mocha Steel

Mercedes is even more moronic. Certain models don't even allow oil level checks. THAT alone would be enough to walk away from the purchase....new or used. Then again, I don't buy foreign, but you get my point.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.