2003 Malibu won't start. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
TBtheG
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu

Gallery: 0
Default 2003 Malibu won't start.

I've been hearing that it could be some sort of theft system problem, so I turn the key to ON and wait ten minutes. Apparently during this time the THEFT SYSTEM light should be flashing but it's just solid for me, I don't know what's going on. The car wants to start, but it's like it's not getting any fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TBtheG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
mikeriley1358
CMF Rookie Member
03 Malibu LS
Silver

Default Re: 2003 Malibu won't start.

The car my mother used to have (I have it now) done the same thing. The engine would turn over and over, but never fire. The theft light was solid. There is a theft control module in the ignition failed on it. That may not be it for you, but if it is maybe someone else can elaborate on it for me.
mikeriley1358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
TBtheG
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu

Is there anything I can do short of getting a tow truck and taking it to a garage?
TBtheG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
jayb
CMF Rookie Member

My 01 Malibu 3.1 did the same thing this summer a few intermittent times. It would crank and crank, but no firing. I did 3 things and i'm not sure which one fixed it, but it's never done it since. Disconnected battery, went under the hood to the fuse box next to the driver's strut and pulled out some fuses and put them back..(the fuses i messed with were any pertaining to ignition, or fuel pump relays..), and lastly, there's a battery cable that runs to this fuse box that's located in between the fuse box, and the air filter housing, basically on the front side of the fuse box....you should see it. I disconnected that connection, sanded, and cleaned it and reconnected. Reconnected the main battery cables, started and let run for 5 to 10 minutes. i don't know what i did, but it has never acted up since. And i have never paid attention to my anti theft light, so can't help you there...
jayb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBtheG View Post
I've been hearing that it could be some sort of theft system problem, so I turn the key to ON and wait ten minutes. Apparently during this time the THEFT SYSTEM light should be flashing but it's just solid for me, I don't know what's going on. The car wants to start, but it's like it's not getting any fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Does the dash light up like normal? All the telltale (idiot) lights, the Check engine light is on with the key on correct?
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Danizhere
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu LS
Silver

Hey everyone, Im new to the site because of this same issue. I am having a similar issue but now I cant figure out what to do.

PASSLOCK system enabled while my wife, kids, dog, and I were driving down the road on thanksgiving... Malibu decided it was a good time to be "stolen" and quit. cranks but no fire, standard theft system issues.

Since then I'v replaced the Lock cylinder because the reset didn't work. which did correct the "theft system" light which was SOLID, checked fuses multiple times. rechecked the stock radio because apparently that may have something to do with it.. Pulled the fuel tank because the cars not getting fuel, and I'm getting no voltage to the pump. If the THEFT SYSTEM is off and its not throwing codes What is going on? Anyone have an idea?
Danizhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danizhere View Post
Since then I'v replaced the Lock cylinder because the reset didn't work. which did correct the "theft system" light which was SOLID, checked fuses multiple times. rechecked the stock radio because apparently that may have something to do with it.. Pulled the fuel tank because the cars not getting fuel, and I'm getting no voltage to the pump. If the THEFT SYSTEM is off and its not throwing codes What is going on? Anyone have an idea?
Check for battery voltage (12 volts) at the F/P INJ fuse in the underhood fuse block. Could be an ignition switch or fuse block. Ignition switch is real common. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on? Rest of the dash light up like normal?
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.