Backup camera or sensors - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
cleatus
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red,sparkly,pretty

Gallery: 0
Default Backup camera or sensors

iS THERE A EASY WAY TO ADD THESE?
Since you pretty much cant see out the rear of a mailpoop, i think these should be standard.

I have seen aftermarket mirrors, but dont want to remove my stock GM mirror with all that crap built into it.

any thoughts on this? anyone done it?

Last edited by chevyguy8893; 12-06-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: language not needed
cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage
Default Re: Backup camera or sensors

Backup sensors would be a cheaper method than a backup camera. A downside is some of the sensors seem to require drilling. Cameras are nice, but if they are covered in water or dirt thrown up constantly on the back of the car the become useless. I honestly don't have any issues with seeing out of the back of the car, but sometimes at night I have issues because my glasses are always lightly tinted, and combined with 20% tint it can be hard to see.

I know there are some decent backup cameras that just add a small screen that can be used, and you would only need to find a spot for it. Then this way you don't need a new rear view mirror. There seems to be a lot of options of what you can get between sensors or a camera, but I can't vouch as to how well they work.

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

Last edited by chevyguy8893; 12-06-2011 at 02:46 PM.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I have the talking sensors. When I put it in R it beeps, then when I get close to something it tells me in perfect English "8 feet", then "5 feet", "3 feet", "2 feet", "12 inches", and finally "collision". If something or someone crosses the sensors horizontally, like a child or car, it says "object in blind area" and will not change the message until I take it out of R, presumably putting it in P to get out and check.

http://www.poronusa.com/

The model I have is the Micro3LV. http://www.poronusa.com/index1.htm

The above links may not work correctly on FireFox. They do on IE.

They can be installed through the bumper (I did that on my '09), or by installing the included adjustable hinged devices. I removed them from the '09 at trade-in and have since installed them on a license plate frame I painted. I'm gonna move them to a small bracket that I install using the license light screws. They are inside the license well and I guess the signals are echoing, or something. When installed correctly they work perfectly!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

While I have no personal experience with aftermarket setups, the OE equipment on new cars, I would prefer the camera as you can actually see what's there and where it is, the sensors are just telling you something is there and roughly how close you are. Neither system is perfect, both have to be kept clear of obstructions, the camera would have to be kept clean. The sensors as far as OE stuff work well, the aftermarket I can't say good or bad. The backup camera for me is easier to look at, whereas the lights used on the object detection sensors aren't always placed in a good spot for easy viewing. You get what you pay for, like always. Just my 2 cents.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
rwacheson
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
White

We have an '09 Malibu, and my wife would love some added vision for backup. Question: It looks like the license plate cameras activate by splicing into the backup light power wiring....any issue (I don't know, with the computer or something) doing that?
rwacheson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

No issues. For ease of installation make sure you get a wireless one so you don't have to run a wire/wires to the front of the car.

You can tap into the reverse lights at the rear fuse panel in the trunk, left side, behind door made of carpet. Look at fuse cover for location of fuse.

Muffler mod on '09
Old 01-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
rwacheson
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
White

Many thanks!
rwacheson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
OmniCamaro
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I have the talking sensors. When I put it in R it beeps, then when I get close to something it tells me in perfect English "8 feet", then "5 feet", "3 feet", "2 feet", "12 inches", and finally "collision". If something or someone crosses the sensors horizontally, like a child or car, it says "object in blind area" and will not change the message until I take it out of R, presumably putting it in P to get out and check.

http://www.poronusa.com/

The model I have is the Micro3LV. http://www.poronusa.com/index1.htm

The above links may not work correctly on FireFox. They do on IE.

They can be installed through the bumper (I did that on my '09), or by installing the included adjustable hinged devices. I removed them from the '09 at trade-in and have since installed them on a license plate frame I painted. I'm gonna move them to a small bracket that I install using the license light screws. They are inside the license well and I guess the signals are echoing, or something. When installed correctly they work perfectly!
I'd like to put these on my wife's 11 malibu LTZ. Some questions for you if I may: Where did you get them? How much is a set? Were they hard to install?

I appreciate it!
OmniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage
Cool Re: Backup camera or sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
I'd like to put these on my wife's 11 malibu LTZ. Some questions for you if I may: 1)Where did you get them? 2)How much is a set? 3)Were they hard to install?

I appreciate it!
1) Follow the links to the website

2) It was around $200 when I bought them

3) Nope. On my '09 I drilled 3 holes in the bumper just above the crease before it becomes the valance. Used the included 3M tape to install them, routed 3 cables (1 per sensor) up behind the left taillight and into the trunk. Installed control module near fuse block, installed speaker behind left rear head restraint, tapped into reverse wire at fuse block. Speaker and all sensors just plug in. Ground wire attached at convenient screw.

On my '11 I installed 1 sensor at the bottom of the license plate frame (aftermarket item that I painted), and the other 2 on a small piece of aluminum above the license plate. (I originally had them installed on the top of the license frame but it kept saying "3 feet" every time I put it in R.) The aluminum was installed with 4 strips of 3M tape, and the 2 sensors were attached to it with a strip each.

On neither vehicle have I ever had any issues from driving through the car wash or getting ice in winter.

The speaker has a slide switch with 3 settings: off, low, high. Easy Peasy.

I bought mine after installing 2 sets for a friend in California: 1 on his Lincoln and 1 on his Ford Ranger. They worked so good (he was in his 80's, wife in 70's) that both he and she said they helped a lot. I can back up to a flat surface with my eyes closed, so long as I'm perpendicular (of course!).

Great product that just plain works.

Muffler mod on '09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.