Anyone have any advice on a VERY annoying driver's seat?? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
troykillman
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 0
Angry Anyone have any advice on a VERY annoying driver's seat??

I may have posted about this before. My internet is down and I am attempting this post from a cell phone so I apologize if this repetitive.

Earlier this year, when my '09 LT was under its bumper to bumper warranty, I had complaints about the drivers seat. To describe this as best as I possibly can, the symptoms are as follows:

When I accelerate, lean back, or go around turns like highway exit ramps, there is a noise, almost a creak but more of a click. It isn't all the time, it either doesn't happen at all, or happens nonstop. They lubed the seat tracks, tightened up some wiring and even replaced the seatback. Nothing has remedied the issue. It is driving me crazy, to the point where I don't even want to drive it.

Does anyone, or has anyone had this problem with the seat? I am almost considering buying a brand new seat, because I am just tred of it, but the problem has been documented since before the warranty expired, so I really don't think I should have to pay for that.

Any thoughts ?
troykillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: Anyone have any advice on a VERY annoying driver's seat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykillman View Post
I may have posted about this before. My internet is down and I am attempting this post from a cell phone so I apologize if this repetitive.

Earlier this year, when my '09 LT was under its bumper to bumper warranty, I had complaints about the drivers seat. To describe this as best as I possibly can, the symptoms are as follows:

When I accelerate, lean back, or go around turns like highway exit ramps, there is a noise, almost a creak but more of a click. It isn't all the time, it either doesn't happen at all, or happens nonstop. They lubed the seat tracks, tightened up some wiring and even replaced the seatback. Nothing has remedied the issue. It is driving me crazy, to the point where I don't even want to drive it.

Does anyone, or has anyone had this problem with the seat? I am almost considering buying a brand new seat, because I am just tred of it, but the problem has been documented since before the warranty expired, so I really don't think I should have to pay for that.

Any thoughts ?
Where in the seat do you hear/feel it? Mine does it towards the upper part of the back of the seat if I lean into the seat a little. If I let off and lean back into the seat again it happens again. I just didn't pop the seat back off yet to see what is going on.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
glad2bsenior
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
mocha steel

Quote:

Any thoughts ?
I feel your pain. (Me: 2011 LTZ) -- Had similar driver's seat issue - would feel movement or shifting (clicking) in seat bottom when making turns under certain conditions. Dealer (under warranty) - 1) replaced plastic trim panel on side - nothing. 2) replaced seat bottom cushion - nothing. 3) replaced entire seat assembly (exchanged with another vehicle) and problem was solved. Think something might have been loose or defective in track mechanism?? Was extremely frustrating -- good luck to you.
glad2bsenior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
, it either doesn't happen at all, or happens nonstop.
When it happens non-stop, have you tried making some minor adjustments to see if it changes ?? Just changing the "slack" in the drive gears might make it go away. Might not too. Worth a try though.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Malibu25
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu sold 1LT
Silver Ice

Do you guys have a problem with Driver seat back poping off when you sit in your driver seat at all. when, I sit in my drivers seat back seat back pop off little have to push it back in all time. I also had new clips put in my dealership about this problem still does it.
Malibu25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
troykillman
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Well the seats have been a real problem. The swayback, cushions, everything has been changed still with no luck. Mine feels more or less in the bottom portion.

Malibuken: I have adjusted the position on the track; the seat back height, the lumbar and even the headrest. Still no luck. I wish they would give me a whole new seat. It's driving me crazy.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu25 View Post
Do you guys have a problem with Driver seat back poping off when you sit in your driver seat at all. when, I sit in my drivers seat back seat back pop off little have to push it back in all time. I also had new clips put in my dealership about this problem still does it.
Quote:
Well the seats have been a real problem. The swayback, cushions, everything has been changed still with no luck. Mine feels more or less in the bottom portion.

Malibuken: I have adjusted the position on the track; the seat back height, the lumbar and even the headrest. Still no luck. I wish they would give me a whole new seat. It's driving me crazy.
Malibu25 - does this come loose at the top or bottom of the seat back cover?

troykillman - frame looks like it's serviced as a complete unit, has it been replaced? When you say bottom portion, does that mean bottom portion of the vertical seat back or the actual horizontal bottom cushion of the seat?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
troykillman
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Malibu25 - does this come loose at the top or bottom of the seat back cover?

troykillman - frame looks like it's serviced as a complete unit, has it been replaced? When you say bottom portion, does that mean bottom portion of the vertical seat back or the actual horizontal bottom cushion of the seat?
Hey Rodents:

The frame has not been replaced. Just the bottom seat upholstery, paddings and seat back covers. The clicking seems to be in the seat back itself. Not the bottom. But in the lower portion of the seat back closest to the bottom.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Malibu25
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu sold 1LT
Silver Ice

hey Rodents: comes loose at the top
Malibu25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Hey Rodents:

The frame has not been replaced. Just the bottom seat upholstery, paddings and seat back covers. The clicking seems to be in the seat back itself. Not the bottom. But in the lower portion of the seat back closest to the bottom.
If you feel like it, pop the cover off the seat back and have someone move around in the seat and see if you can see what's clicking, then go show the dealer. Do you have lumbar controls? If so, what happens if you adjust the lumbar real stiff? Sometimes those lumbar springs make noise. We've done a couple seat frames in gen 7 malibu for noise, not nearly as many as gen 6 though. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.