USB Port will not work right away in Cold Weather - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
thegrimm
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 2LT
RED

Gallery: 0
Default USB Port will not work right away in Cold Weather

Hello all,

I have had my 2011 Malibu LT since last January. I'm over all happy with the car with the exception of a small list issues at top of which is the USB port not working first thing on a cold day. Once the interior has warmed up sufficiently and I restart the vehicle the USB port becomes responsive. I can only assume the issue has to do with a contact point contracting due to the cold but given that I need to restart the car once its warmed up before the USB port works suggest that maybe there is something else going on as well. Whose to say given the number amount of electronics involved in order to keep these vehicles running. I was also at my dealership recently for an oil change and mentioned it to the Service manager and neither he nor any of his techs had really come across the cause of the problem before (or so they say) but I know others have experienced it. Anyone have any thoughts? I can live with it for now but none of us have paid for a new vehicle just so we can "live with" any of its short comings.

Grimm.

P.S. Since I'm on the USB port, anyone have a clue why in the F' the USB port wasn't hidden in the lower portion of the centre arm rest?

Last edited by thegrimm; 12-19-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Addition.
thegrimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: USB Port will not work right away in Cold Weather

It's in the face of the radio probably because it's cheaper than making it remote.

I haven't heard of the USB working only once it's warmed up. We have some techs on here who are here to help others. I hope they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimm View Post
Hello all,

I have had my 2011 Malibu LT since last January. I'm over all happy with the car with the exception of a small list issues at top of which is the USB port not working first thing on a cold day. Once the interior has warmed up sufficiently and I restart the vehicle the USB port becomes responsive. I can only assume the issue has to do with a contact point contracting due to the cold but given that I need to restart the car once its warmed up before the USB port works suggest that maybe there is something else going on as well. Whose to say given the number amount of electronics involved in order to keep these vehicles running. I was also at my dealership recently for an oil change and mentioned it to the Service manager and neither he nor any of his techs had really come across the cause of the problem before (or so they say) but I know others have experienced it. Anyone have any thoughts? I can live with it for now but none of us have paid for a new vehicle just so we can "live with" any of its short comings.

Grimm.

P.S. Since I'm on the USB port, anyone have a clue why in the F' the USB port wasn't hidden in the lower portion of the centre arm rest?

Now that you say it's temperature related, can/did you show the service manager the issue? If it's been demonstrated to happen, the radio should be replaced no questions asked. Even if it isn't demonstrated to happen, the theory of a marginal connection sounds logical. 'In the interest of customer satisfaction' is a way you can put a part in for a customer without actually seeing the issue. It's not the way it's supposed to be done, BUT customer satisfaction is important so in cases such as this, it can be done. It's between you and your dealer to work it out. You really shouldn't have to make a case to replace the radio. I'd go for what you say but I'd at least want to try to duplicate it once or twice.

As to why it's where it is. A matter of preference. I like where it is, you don't. That's why there's vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and peach ice cream.

Last edited by Rodents; 01-31-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: As requested by member
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

You could use a 6 or 10' USB extension cable & pull it back into the dash & put the port pretty much anywhere. That's what I did for the aux in port.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
thegrimm
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 2LT
RED

Thanks for the input folks.

@Rodents, I've actually tried various permutations to try to whittle down the cause including not leaving the iPod plugged in over night etc and so on and it still has an issue first thing on cold days. Unfortunately in order to replicate it for the dealership I would need to leave it with them over night and that's something I can't do right now. Fortunately the folks at the dealership know me pretty well and believe what I've told them especially given the fact I've broken down the problem for them. I'm not sure if at this point replacing the whole unit is worth the trouble given that the USB port does work for the most part.... that's something I'll need to consider.

@greenman, I've actually considered that. Like Rodents said, the placement of the USB is a matter of preference. For me I'd like to be able to have the iPod or usb stick connected but out of site so I don't need to keep unplugging and hiding it every time I park the car.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
rrohde
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
White

Send a message via ICQ to rrohde Send a message via Skype™ to rrohde

I have a 2011 1LT and don't have a USB port at all (only the 3.5mm aux port on the radio). Was I supposed to have one? Considering that mine is a former rental unit, I am not sure about any of its features...
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
EnvoyBu
Super Moderator
2014 ATS4 Premium
Black Diamond

Garage

I've learned to plug the iPod in, keep the door open, and keep pressing unlock until you get the green battery charging thing on the iPod itself. Then start the car immediately, and it should work. It's frustrating. I know.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT

Past:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 (29,520 miles)

Black Granite on Cocoa Cashmere with 3.6L V6, Sunroof, and... Cargo Nets!
EnvoyBu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
I have a 2011 1LT and don't have a USB port at all (only the 3.5mm aux port on the radio). Was I supposed to have one? Considering that mine is a former rental unit, I am not sure about any of its features...
2 different radios. You have the US8 radio and the UUI radio has the USB port. U1C is a base radio.

Last edited by Rodents; 01-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@rrohde, if you would like to send me a private message with your VIN, I would be happy to research the vehicle build sheet information.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
thegrimm
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 2LT
RED

@EnvoyBu, I'll have to give that a try. Its always possible that the problem is the result of a bug in the cars computer code... being in IT I've seen the wackiest things happen due to programing bugs no matter how small... all they need is the right circumstances. But lets see if your solution works for me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.