remote start problem - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
TimmyCollins
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default remote start problem

hey i installed an aftermarket stereo a few months ago and didn't re install the "dic" so i thought that was the problem i just installed the metra 99-3303 with "dic" display thought that would fix the problem but it didnt anyone have any idea what could help
TimmyCollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: remote start problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyCollins View Post
hey i installed an aftermarket stereo a few months ago and didn't re install the "dic" so i thought that was the problem i just installed the metra 99-3303 with "dic" display thought that would fix the problem but it didnt anyone have any idea what could help
The remote start stopped working immediately after the install? Hood ajar switches go bad sometimes. Scan data has 'remote start disable history' data in it but of course you need a scan tool equipped to read that data to see it. Lights flash when you lock the car, then attempt a start?
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
TimmyCollins
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu LS
Silver

i don't know if it stopped working right after because i installed it during the summer so didn't really need to use the remote start, the light flash when i lock the car its just like its not receiving the remote start signal from the remote
TimmyCollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

My '11 is picking and choosing when to start using the remote. I'll have to set an appt this week while I'm off work. While I'm there they'll have to get a new right headlight due to water being inside. I tend to think they'll discover the hood latch switch is marginal and replace it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
06malibuLS
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

i was looking this issue up a few days ago (mine hasent worked in months) and from what i read it can be a number of things causing it. granted the hood swiches do go bad alot, but from what i can remember the car gets the singnal then checks the DIC for any trouble codes or warnings (like a false open hood reading) and if all that checks out then it starts.

this information didnt really help me any, but i figured id post it on the off chance it helps you
06malibuLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

When it was in last Wednesday (today is Monday), the service writer immediately backed away when I told him I had done some mods. Started spouting "won't be covered" garbage. His tech took a look at it, cleared any and all codes, and it's been sweet for a week now - starts every time by the remotes.

It was also there for water in the right headlight that hasn't gone anywhere for 2 months. His first words were "GM says that's normal." I told him it isn't and I disagree. He said he'd check with the service manager and GM. They replaced it that visit. Glad they did, too. Saved me a few phone calls!

And finally, the sunroof shade is rattling now and then. Real nuisance. They ordered a new one. The newest TSB has it being replaced with a newer design instead of the old TSB just putting some foam tape up there. I hope it fixes it. If not I'll just live with it. Shouldn't have to, but I will.

Muffler mod on '09
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06malibuLS View Post
i was looking this issue up a few days ago (mine hasent worked in months) and from what i read it can be a number of things causing it. granted the hood swiches do go bad alot, but from what i can remember the car gets the singnal then checks the DIC for any trouble codes or warnings (like a false open hood reading) and if all that checks out then it starts.

this information didnt really help me any, but i figured id post it on the off chance it helps you
In the BCM data list is a piece of data called 'remote start disable history' and it should list the last 8, I believe it is, reasons the remote start did not function. Does take a scan tool capable of reading that data however.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

Today at noon I hit the remote start and it wouldn't. So I went outside, started it with the key, then turned it off, exited the car, and it then successfully started via remote. I let it run through 10 minutes and shut off, then restarted via remote again.

I guess it stored the reason for the failure?

Muffler mod on '09
Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Today at noon I hit the remote start and it wouldn't. So I went outside, started it with the key, then turned it off, exited the car, and it then successfully started via remote. I let it run through 10 minutes and shut off, then restarted via remote again.

I guess it stored the reason for the failure?
I'm inclined to believe it would store data as long as the lights flashed to acknowledge the RVS command. I don't see in SI where the BCM data for RS disable history is defined at all. I know it's there though, I've seen it. I think even my Verus (SnapOn scanner) has it.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Garage

It has failed at least twice more just this evening. It's 24* outside and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 18*. I want it to work when it's this cold but it looks like it's gonna fight me until I get it back to the shop.

Muffler mod on '09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.