2006 Malibu Power Steering issue - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
n22b
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Red

Gallery: 0
Default 2006 Malibu Power Steering issue

Yesterday, when trying to park, I heard a chime and the message "Power Steering" popped up on the info screen. The car became incredibly hard to steer, so I'm thinking the power steering had shut off. I turned my car off, then back on, and the power steering came back on, so I was able to park the car correctly.

When we were about to head home, as soon as I turn on a busy street, just before getting on the highway, the chime goes off, the message pops up, and my power steering shuts off again. I turned (with all my might) into an empty parking lot and turned the car off for a little bit. My family and I were looking under the hood, but we weren't sure what to check for.

We eventually got back in the car and went home. Thankfully, the power steering stayed on and we got home safely (17 miles on the highway).

I'm just worried that it will eventually turn off on its own again. Searching the forum, I came across several people having a similar problem, including a bulletin for a recall. What should I do at this point?
n22b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
USA1fan
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu LTZ
red jewel tintcoat

Default Re: 2006 Malibu Power Steering issue

Take it in for service.
USA1fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
n22b
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Red

Well, I came across something called "special coverage 10183" on post #4 on this thread:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...power+steering

If I have to schedule a service appointment, I would like to go in prepared this time. A few months ago, when I had a brake light issue, one particular service department tried charging me $500+ for a part I apparently did not really need.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick K. View Post
Well, I came across something called "special coverage 10183" on post #4 on this thread:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...power+steering
You won't see anything as the problem is electronic in nature. You should set up an appointment and when you do, mention the 'Special Coverage 10183' and the dealer should put a steering column in it for you at no charge provided you are under 100K in mileage on the odometer. Don't put it off, it doesn't get better by itself and they can do some strange stuff when they go wacky. I had one that the steering wheel shimmied on it's own only above 50 mph, I tried it out and I'll tell you, it's a two handed fight to keep the car under control. Most of the time you can shut the car off and restart it and be good for a while but as time goes on that doesn't work anymore.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
n22b
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Red

My car has about 65K miles. I think I'll call and set up an appointment tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Don't put it off, it doesn't get better by itself
+1
The one thing that you can do yourself is check the tire pressure.
Low pressure will make matters worse.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
mopat
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
Silver

Nick K.:
Check and clean the (3) connectors to power steering motor/module located above Left Front Footwell (outside & underneath); I would expect the problem is with the bigger connector, the one on the left (with just 2 wires), B+ and Ground.

Intermittent problems hard to fix, seems like power steering motor loosing voltage, no voltage, no motor run, no power steering. Good Luck. bob
mopat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
n22b
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Red

That sounds like what happened with this guy's Malibu...

Well, my radio and instrument displays were fine; the power steering was the only thing that went out. I should probably also tell you guys that we used the CD player. And I usually never use the CD player. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this problem, though.

I also have the V6. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier.

EDIT: I called a Chevy dealership. They say that my car does indeed fall under the list of cars with this issue, and that they would be able to cover the full cost. I'll take it up there tomorrow morning, then I'll let you guys know what happened.

Last edited by n22b; 01-09-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
n22b
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu LT
Red

My apologies for the bump.

I just got back from the Chevy dealership. They fixed the problem free of charge. The steering column was replaced. I showed up a little before 9, and was done by 12.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@Nick K., I am so happy that the dealership was able to resolve this for you. To top it all off without cost to you. (Doing happy dance for you). LOL

Please, don't hesitate to contact me with comments, questions and/or concerns in the future.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.