Replace 2005 Chevy Malibu License Plate lights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Blue1992
CMF Junior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Black

Gallery: 0
Default Replace 2005 Chevy Malibu License Plate lights

Ok did a quick search and didn't find anything... It's probably simple, but how do you change the license plate lights on these 05 Malibu? Thanks in advance!
Blue1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Default Re: Replace 2005 Chevy Malibu License Plate lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1992 View Post
Ok did a quick search and didn't find anything... It's probably simple, but how do you change the license plate lights on these 05 Malibu? Thanks in advance!
Did you look from inside the trunk lid? I think you can reach the bulb socket from the inside of the trunk lid. The socket turns a 1/4 turn or so and pulls out. Bulb just pulls straight out of the socket, don't turn it.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Blue1992
CMF Junior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Black

The inside of the trunk is lined with carpet. I noticed 3 screws on the chrome part on the outer trunk that come off, but don't know what they are for. I figures to take the entire chrome trim off.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
The inside of the trunk is lined with carpet. I noticed 3 screws on the chrome part on the outer trunk that come off, but don't know what they are for. I figures to take the entire chrome trim off.
That's how you get the lamp out and the bulb of course as well. I tried to remember if you could just reach in, been a while since I did one on that generation of Malibu. You're going to have to pull that inside carpet back anyway to release some retainers, take a good look before you go pulling that trim piece out. If you can't get to them then take out the screws you saw and pull that trim piece out a bit and the lamp unclips from the trunk lid and you can change the bulbs then .
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Blue1992
CMF Junior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Black

So, I'm still a bit confused...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
chevyguy8893
Super Moderator
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver Ice

Garage

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here's a link describing how to do it. http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0rej...ms-almost.html

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
So, I'm still a bit confused...
You're going to need to elaborate, we have no way of knowing what is confusing you from your post. You're working from both sides of the trunk lid, the three screws on the outside and from the inside there are retainer tabs that need to be released to remove the lamp. The link chevyguy gave you shows pictures but they are general pictures. They may help you, I don't know. The release tabs from the inside of the trunk lid, I can't tell you what they look like, been a while since I've been in one of those trunk lids.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Blue1992
CMF Junior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Black

Ok. So like you say I have to work from both inside and outside. Ol. I will check it out Friday. I am going to replace them with LEDs. The retaining clips I think I looked at are black and round. Think they just pop right out?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Ok. So like you say I have to work from both inside and outside. Ol. I will check it out Friday. I am going to replace them with LEDs. The retaining clips I think I looked at are black and round. Think they just pop right out?
The retaining tabs honestly I can't tell you how they will release, it should be pretty obvious when you look at it yourself. I would imagine it would be something like releasing a retaining tab on anything else, just slide the tab whatever way to release the fingers and when you go back in it should just be lining up the tabs and pressing the lamp back into position.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Blue1992
CMF Junior Member
2005 Malibu LS
Black

I finally got around to trying to do this, but I can't get the carpet lining off. There are these round black push in things holding the carpet to the truck and I can't get them off. (Afraid I will mess them up). Do they just pull out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.