Programming key fob with remote start ??? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
texasbu11
CMF Rookie Member
11 Malibu 2LT
WHITE

Gallery: 0
Default Programming key fob with remote start ???

I Just recently purchased a 2011 2LT Malibu with remote start and i was wondering what is needed to program another key fob to it without going to GM if its possible...any suggestions
texasbu11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
MrRichRod
CMF Veteran Member
2012 1LT w/ All-Star
Black Granite

Garage
Default Re: Programming key fob with remote start ???

Unfortunately to stay out of the stealership it looks like you'll need $4000 to buy yourself a GM Tech 2 Flash Dealership Scan Tool. You can always try a locksmith, or cheaper make friends with someone at the dealership.

I hope someone knows something I don't though.

MrRichRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbu11 View Post
I Just recently purchased a 2011 2LT Malibu with remote start and i was wondering what is needed to program another key fob to it without going to GM if its possible...any suggestions
No provisions exist for the customer to program the fobs on their own. If you just purchased it, the selling dealer MAY be willing to program it for you at no charge. It's not a long procedure. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
red44car
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tint

Just bought a remote from yourkeylessremote.com on ebay. Number matched the gm part number on my keyfob. Took it to my buddy's shop. He used his Tech 2 scan tool and programmed both remotes in less than 90 seconds. My dealer wanted 40 bucks to do this. So you do not have to go to a dealer.

btw...keyfob cost me 16.99 with free shipping
red44car is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Trulyblind
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LT
White

I had the same problem as you a few months ago. The dealership wanted $95 to reprogram the remotes. No local locksmiths would do it either. I bit the bullet and went to the dealership. Luckily the guy was nice enough and reprogrammed the FOBs for no charge and said, and I quote, "If I am going to charge you that much for 1 minute of work, I might as well punch you in the face as well." We both laughed and I went on my way.

Sometimes the employees recognize the errors of their employers and will cut you a break. Its worth a try.
Trulyblind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44car View Post
Just bought a remote from yourkeylessremote.com on ebay. Number matched the gm part number on my keyfob. Took it to my buddy's shop. He used his Tech 2 scan tool and programmed both remotes in less than 90 seconds. My dealer wanted 40 bucks to do this. So you do not have to go to a dealer.

btw...keyfob cost me 16.99 with free shipping
A Tech 2 with Candi runs about 4 grand & the annual subscription is $3100. So yeah, most folks have to visit a dealer. Very few shops can afford such a specialized tool.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.