Installing fog lights on ls or lt models - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
DarkMali08
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
CARBON BLACK MET

Gallery: 0
Default Installing fog lights on ls or lt models

Hi Everyone, I Have been doing a lot of research on installing fog lamps on my 08 malibu that did not come with them factory.

Now i want them to be factory look so i have bought the factory switch, the bezels and the fog lamp housings.

Now i read up on one way to do it so it works like the factory ones would with the BCM but bypassing the BCM So U wouldn't have to buy the thousand dollar harness set up.

I think i may have stumbled on a completely different way to do the install and it would be the easiest quickest install.

Now i was just looking on Carid website and saw these NOTTO LED Daytime running fog lamp set ups.

I read up on how they install and they aren't even installed with the use of a switch.

They actually tap right into the DRL Relay Circuit in the engine fuse box with one wire that then just goes to the two lights.

Now if u read on the Site of the output of these it is only from about 5-13Watts
because they are LEDs they don't Draw much power.

Now I did some more research and had an idea. I know that they also make H11 LED Bulbs.
So i researched these and they have about the same Wattage from 7.5 to 13W

So my idea which i am going to try is to buy these LED H11 Bulbs
Fabricate the harness i need to go to the fuse box and install the gm parts i have so it all looks factory, then inside all i really am concerned about is the switch illuminating when all the other interior lights are on so ill just probe for the illumination wire in the switch next to it and tap into that so the fog lamp switch at least lights up.

But the fog lamps will just be controlled by the running lights just as if i had bought the aftermarket ones anyway.

The Not to aftermarkets are long rectangular they look good but i want it to look stock so i am doing it with the h11 bulbs that stock calls for anyways.

Hopefully this is going to work, if anyone has any ideas to add please let me know. thanks

I also Found a Website AUTOLUMINATION.COM For all the wiring and connectors i would need to do this and the prices are extremely cheap.

Last edited by DarkMali08; 02-24-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding info
DarkMali08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Default Re: Installing fog lights on ls or lt models

You may want to check - the fog lights aren't controlled by the driving lights, but by the low beams.

If, however, you don't want usable fog lights, but just want them for looks, then you can do what you're suggesting.

!I! wouldn't - and am not. It will be driven by a switch off the low beam circuit.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
DarkMali08
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
CARBON BLACK MET

Yes i know the stock ones are controlled by the low beam lights but if u look at the aftermarket brand Notto ones i am talking about in they're wiring schematic they are wired to the driving light circuit. The fog light set they sell is actually called DRL Lights.
So I am going to wire the bulbs i was talking about just the same as this aftermarket set would be and ill have working lights but will be with the stock parts.
The only thing that wouldn't actually be Functioning is the switch in the car because the lights will be working on they're own with the DRL's.

Although i may even be able to tap into the low beam circuit just the same so when the automatic lights come on they will come on as well i just have to find out how much draw is on that circuit so i don't overload it.

Last edited by DarkMali08; 02-25-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

The DRLs operate the low beams at reduced voltage/power. If you use the low beam wire to turn on the Notto relay the additional power drawn to energize the relay won't be significant. But you'll still have to find a battery source for the Notto relay, and it would be wise to fuse that as well. That way, when the DRLs or low beams are on, your new Nottos will be, too, and the power they consume will be from the battery and not from the DRL/low beam wire, which is already severely undersized to start with!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Bert214
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Gold

do i have to buy aftermarket fogs or oem fogs? if so where can i order em from
Bert214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
DarkMali08
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
CARBON BLACK MET

U can buy either

Depends on the look u are going for, I personally like the stock ones so i went with them but u could get any style u like.
The NOTTO Brand ones i was talking about can be found on the CARID.COM Website

They also sell the stock ones in an aftermarket brand.

I purchased my aftermarket OE ones that are made exactly to stock spec on
ROCKAUTO.COM for $50 each

I know the GM OEM ones are about $125-150 Each from the dealer which is outrageous

But like i said if u found some others on ebay or something in a different style u can wire any type just the same

Last edited by DarkMali08; 03-07-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.