Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
bmccoupe
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
Blue
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Gallery: 0
Default Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

I did a quick search here and on google, but didn't find exactly what i was looking for... most people did not have the same problem and pointed to a replacement of the hazard switch per a TSB.

I don't think this is the same issue... i am going crazy... when i use the turn signal (on the combination switch) or right after i use the turn signal, there is constant ticking that sounds twice as fast as if you were using the turn signal, but the turn signal indicator/dash light does not flash--i can hear the relay clicking like crazy. Sometimes it will stop, other times, it can go off like this for over 5 minutes.

Is this a combination switch failure or a relay failure, or both, and what do i replace?
bmccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 3,075
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccoupe View Post
I did a quick search here and on google, but didn't find exactly what i was looking for... most people did not have the same problem and pointed to a replacement of the hazard switch per a TSB.

I don't think this is the same issue... i am going crazy... when i use the turn signal (on the combination switch) or right after i use the turn signal, there is constant ticking that sounds twice as fast as if you were using the turn signal, but the turn signal indicator/dash light does not flash--i can hear the relay clicking like crazy. Sometimes it will stop, other times, it can go off like this for over 5 minutes.

Is this a combination switch failure or a relay failure, or both, and what do i replace?
Usually, this is a hazard flasher issue and cycling the hazard button a dozen times or so, sometimes helps. Sometimes if you very slowly press the hazard button in the noise will go away and stay away when you release the switch. If this doesn't do anything, try cycling the turn siganl switch from left to right turn and back to left. Do this a dozen times or so and see what that does. If that doesn't change anything, very slowly move the turn signal lever towards the left, then the right turn position. When you distrurb the noise, you've found your source most likely. Either way, when you find the problem, just replace the switch. Neither is that expensive nor that hard to put in.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
bmccoupe
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
Blue
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Usually, this is a hazard flasher issue and cycling the hazard button a dozen times or so, sometimes helps. Sometimes if you very slowly press the hazard button in the noise will go away and stay away when you release the switch. If this doesn't do anything, try cycling the turn siganl switch from left to right turn and back to left. Do this a dozen times or so and see what that does. If that doesn't change anything, very slowly move the turn signal lever towards the left, then the right turn position. When you distrurb the noise, you've found your source most likely. Either way, when you find the problem, just replace the switch. Neither is that expensive nor that hard to put in.
I usually try to "distrub" the switch while it happens when i'm driving... but i think i look like a crazy driver, since the flasher go from one side to the other

Are you saying i can isolate whether it's the hazard switch or the combination switch by diagnosing like you state above?
bmccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 3,075
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

Depending on how advanced the issue is within the affected switch, it may not work, this is what is being done by the procedure I gave you though. Usually, the hazard switches would fail and the turn signals didn't work at all, I diagnosed every one of them that way. Saves a lot of time tearing stuff apart. If you come down to the hazard switch by chance, it is under special policy for 10 years/150,000 miles from the original in service date. You're probably out of that by now. I can check it for you if you send me the VIN, all 17 digits, or the last 8. PM me if you want me to do it. There was also a recall for those hazard switches fo 2000 and 2001 Malibu, Alero and Grand Am. I would tend to believe it's the turn signal switch. There are a few threads where you'll find people that clean them and claim they work good afterwards. I never tried it, the switch isn't expensive as you can see here
Amazon Amazon
or at Rockauto.com. Rockauto has aftermarket switches that are really cheap, depends on your budget. For 85 bucks, I'd pop a Delco one in but that's me.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
bmccoupe
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu LS
Blue
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Depending on how advanced the issue is within the affected switch, it may not work, this is what is being done by the procedure I gave you though. Usually, the hazard switches would fail and the turn signals didn't work at all, I diagnosed every one of them that way. Saves a lot of time tearing stuff apart. If you come down to the hazard switch by chance, it is under special policy for 10 years/150,000 miles from the original in service date. You're probably out of that by now. I can check it for you if you send me the VIN, all 17 digits, or the last 8. PM me if you want me to do it. There was also a recall for those hazard switches fo 2000 and 2001 Malibu, Alero and Grand Am. I would tend to believe it's the turn signal switch. There are a few threads where you'll find people that clean them and claim they work good afterwards. I never tried it, the switch isn't expensive as you can see here http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D6220C.../dp/B000C9P496 or at Rockauto.com. Rockauto has aftermarket switches that are really cheap, depends on your budget. For 85 bucks, I'd pop a Delco one in but that's me.
Thanks! I did see the Delco one on amazon for $84 w/ amazon prime. There is a review (1st one) that states he had the same problem as i described and replaced this combo switch (after replacing the hazard didn't fix the problem) and the problem had gone away.

Thanks for the information and the path forward... i'll definitely order this.
bmccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Repair Chic
CMF Rookie Member
2001 Malibu
Maroon
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

I had this same ticking noise problem, it drives me crazy too. I replaced my hazard switch & it is still making the noise, is it the turn signal switch that I need to replace? Located on the steering wheel?
Repair Chic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
daveman
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu 2LT
Light Green
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax, NS Canada
Posts: 14
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

I'd bet a case of brew's it's the multifunction switch. My Grand Am drove me crazy until I disassembled and cleaned it. If you search "grand am owners club" and then "turn signal clicker clicking solution", you can read my writeup on how I did it. My guess is the steps would be almost identical for the Gen 5 'bu's
daveman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
right turn signal not working, left turn signal working fine flrdotcom Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generation 7) 20 06-27-2013 09:21 AM
Consistent Clicking or Ticking Noise from Vent Fan (2009 LT Manual Climate Control) 1LT Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generation 7) 9 02-16-2011 06:55 AM
Turn Signal paradism720 Modifications (Generation 7) 2 06-05-2010 07:15 AM
Clicking/Ticking When In Reverse pokeytsi Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 4 03-29-2010 07:50 PM
turn signal zpilot Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 0 02-23-2010 12:58 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
The Chevy Malibu Logo, Chevy Malibu Typeface and Chevy Logo are Trademark General Motors. We are in no way affiliated with General Motors, we are simply an enthusiasts' site.