Drag Racing - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By curtis09
  • 1 Post By Jayss01
  • 1 Post By cp-the-nerd
  • 1 Post By Jayss01
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
projustinsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Drag Racing

Who here likes to drag race? What's you favorite thing about it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
projustinsane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM
CMF Junior Member
 
curtis09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 93
Garage
Re: Drag Racing

Just an infrequent test and tune type..... But fav part is the take off and acceleration, the feeling that you get when the car pushes you back in your seat as the speedo climbs and the front end gets light.

I remember when I first got my trans am, within a couple weeks of having it, brought it to the track and blew out the 3rd and 4th clutch pack, ran a 14.0 at 88 mph bone stock if I remember correctly and my brothers turbo miata ran a 14.5 at 96mph (had winter tires lol)
cp-the-nerd likes this.

Malibu: 2011, 3.6L Red Jewel

Other Ride: Forrest Green 1995 Pontiac Trans Am Lt1 355, A4, Moroso CAI, 2600 stall with stage 2 shift kit + trans cooler, Hyperchip, magnaflow exhaust, SLP headers, Hi Flo Magnaflow cats, 3.73 gears, KYB GX shocks, Eibach pro springs. Audio: Alpine head unit, MTX, Jensen, Alpine Amps. stinger cap, 4-6x9 kenwood mids, 2 6 1/2 GTO door speakers, GTO door tweeters.
curtis09 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Re: Drag Racing

I've taken both my former Malibu and my Chevy SS to the drag strip. I saw you're from PA, have you ever been to Cecil County Dragway in Maryland? That's where I go. It has great air density for optimum runs, but almost every time I've been there, massive delays and one-lane closures have really put a damper on the experience.

My favorite thing is getting to go all out from 0 to 100+ mph. I'm pretty sure that would be the #1 answer by a long shot in Family Feud format! It's a learning process, too, because you can't simply floor it on public roads and learn the best way to launch because your butt-dyno can lie about the fastest method. Time slips don't! Not to mention the legal ramifications of driving too aggressively.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
cp-the-nerd is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 AM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 59
Re: Drag Racing

unfortunately I haven't been to the drag strip in a few years since I was stationed on the island of Oahu out in hawaii and it doesn't have a drag strip. Hoping to go soon but unfortunately cant run sticky tires on my Camaro until I get an aftermarket rear end. Best time I ran years ago with a few Bolt on mods and a tune was a [email protected] on street tires, with the mods I have now and traction I should be in the 11's but like I said before I will be on street tires when I go again so it probably wont happen. Btw CP I've always heard cecil is the place to go but it is a little far from me so I would be going to MIR.

as far as my favorite thing about it I like just being able to actually go as fast as possible without the chance of getting in trouble, also like the challenge of trying to nail the launch in a 6 speed car.
cp-the-nerd likes this.

08 Malibu LTZ 3.6
01 Camaro SS 6 speed manual
18 Equinox LT AWD 2.0T

Last edited by Jayss01; 02-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Jayss01 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Re: Drag Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayss01 View Post
unfortunately I haven't been to the drag strip in a few years since I was stationed on the island of Oahu out in hawaii and it doesn't have a drag strip. Hoping to go soon but unfortunately cant run sticky tires on my Camaro until I get an aftermarket rear end. Best time I ran years ago with a few Bolt on mods and a tune was a [email protected] on street tires, with the mods I have now and traction I should be in the 11's but like I said before I will be on street tires when I go again so it probably wont happen. Btw CP I've always heard cecil is the place to go but it is a little far from me so I would be going to MIR.

as far as my favorite thing about it I like just being able to actually go as fast as possible without the chance of getting in trouble, also like the challenge of trying to nail the launch in a 6 speed car.
That would be a hell of a trek from your listed location in VA! You'd have to pass several other dragways along the drive, too.

The only time I took my SS to the trip, it was an early fall cold snap that put temps in the 40s and nobody could hook up. I met another guy there with a stick shift SS sedan like mine. His was cammed and making 470 whp, but he barely cracked off a 12.9. His trap was 117 mph, which is crazy high for the ET he posted!

I ran a 13.6 @ 106 bone stock and I couldn't get a decent launch on the cold track. I'm sure I'll have low 13s at 107-108 mph with good conditions.
Jayss01 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
cp-the-nerd is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 59
Re: Drag Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
That would be a hell of a trek from your listed location in VA! You'd have to pass several other dragways along the drive, too.

The only time I took my SS to the trip, it was an early fall cold snap that put temps in the 40s and nobody could hook up. I met another guy there with a stick shift SS sedan like mine. His was cammed and making 470 whp, but he barely cracked off a 12.9. His trap was 117 mph, which is crazy high for the ET he posted!

I ran a 13.6 @ 106 bone stock and I couldn't get a decent launch on the cold track. I'm sure I'll have low 13s at 107-108 mph with good conditions.
yes it would be a bit of a drive but I have heard it may be worth it since people typically run a tenth or two quicker there sometimes. 13.6 isn't bad at all for the first time out in your SS especially if the track was cold, that's moving out pretty good for a big sedan. Honestly I would really love to have one of those but at the same time I've put too much into my Camaro to get rid of it at this point, just put a built T56 in it a few months ago and have lots of other little things done already. As for the other guy with the cammed ss that is definitely a crazy high trap speed for the et, he definitely can run some 11's if he could get traction.
cp-the-nerd likes this.

08 Malibu LTZ 3.6
01 Camaro SS 6 speed manual
18 Equinox LT AWD 2.0T
Jayss01 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,184
Garage
Re: Drag Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayss01 View Post
yes it would be a bit of a drive but I have heard it may be worth it since people typically run a tenth or two quicker there sometimes. 13.6 isn't bad at all for the first time out in your SS especially if the track was cold, that's moving out pretty good for a big sedan. Honestly I would really love to have one of those but at the same time I've put too much into my Camaro to get rid of it at this point, just put a built T56 in it a few months ago and have lots of other little things done already. As for the other guy with the cammed ss that is definitely a crazy high trap speed for the et, he definitely can run some 11's if he could get traction.
His best run on a different more optimal day was a 12.4 @ 115 or 116, which is basically in line with the math of trap speed vs ET on non-boosted engines. That's almost identical to what a current gen 6 Camaro LT1 will run from factory on street tires. If he was on slicks, he might've been pushing low 12s/high 11s.

Last year he went full-on crazy and supercharged his LS3, so now he's over 600 whp!! Not sure if he went with the LSA kit or something else. Probably has a 10 second run at this point.

When I'm out of warranty, I'm going with a safe build, just looking for 450 whp at most with good driving manners. Mild cam, full intake, GMPP heads, custom tune.

Tell me about your camaro! What mods? Pics?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
cp-the-nerd is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 59
Mid to low 12's sounds about right for that car on street tires. If i had a ss sedan i would probably go the lsa route since you can make alot of power for a pretty good price. Would go that route on my car but unfortunately you gotta cut the cowl up and remove the windshield wipers to run an lsa blower on my car. As far as my car its nothing too special i have ported ls6 heads and a midsized cam, kooks headers and a tune. Still running the factory ls6 intake and throttle body and the factory slp dual dual exhaust which actually flows well and sounds decent. I may add a fast intake eventually and also will probably add a cut out. Car made 430rwhp with a slipping clutch but that was taken care of a few years ago. Its quick for what it is, beat a buddies supercharged rt challenger that made 515 rwhp and ran side by side with my friends modded ctsv that made a little over 500 rwhp. Both races were from a roll. Also ran side by side with my friends cammed 5th gen that made 480 rwhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180113_160306_445_1549927328505.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	62569   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_174404_HDR_1549927385786.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	62571   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_175943_HDR_1549927549896.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	62575  

08 Malibu LTZ 3.6
01 Camaro SS 6 speed manual
18 Equinox LT AWD 2.0T

Last edited by Jayss01; 02-11-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added pic
Jayss01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good selection of racing seats for your Malibu CARiD CARiD.com 0 12-17-2014 03:13 AM
NOPI FLAWLESS EXPO AUTO SHOW DEC 4 AutoGuide.com Off-Topic Discussion 0 11-19-2011 10:37 AM
NOPI / NSCRA-Car Show & Drag Race 10/23 & 12/04-Palm Bch, FL AutoGuide.com Off-Topic Discussion 0 10-18-2011 03:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome