Infotainment Sys Crash - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Infotainment Sys Crash

Everything was ok until I killed the engine. Went to an appointment and came out to car and I noticed the greeting screen didn't display.
The stereo wouldn't power on; just a black screen
I figured maybe a warm boot woukd fix it so I killed the engine and open/closed tne door.
It still wouldn't boot up and eventually came up to a Linux boot screen.
Made an appointment for next Friday.

Anyone else had this issue?

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7644b.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	57017  

Last edited by Shstrang98; 02-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Infotainment Sys Crash

I had this same screen maybe 2 months ago.
Screen would not go away so I let the car sit over night and it was back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shstrang98 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 07:54 PM
CMF Junior Member

I have had issues where the touchscreen and volume control are not responsive, ive let the car sit all day at work cam out and its fine.

always wanted to try and pull the battery cable off, just to see if that would help reset it quicker but havent had the chance yet

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
always wanted to try and pull the battery cable off, just to see if that would help reset it quicker but havent had the chance yet
It looks like the stereo is trying to recover from a crash or wants an update.
Mine is under warranty still so the dealer will have enjoy fixing it.

For fun I looked in the manual and noticed that it shows f42 for the fuse. I opened the panel and the fuse block is totally different than the manual and the diagram on the panel cover.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 AM
CMF Senior Member

There are several fuse blocks in the car, in many different places. I’d say most likely you’re looking at the wrong one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:30 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shstrang98 View Post
It looks like the stereo is trying to recover from a crash or wants an update.
Mine is under warranty still so the dealer will have enjoy fixing it.

For fun I looked in the manual and noticed that it shows f42 for the fuse. I opened the panel and the fuse block is totally different than the manual and the diagram on the panel cover.
That is not an update going on, it look like an operating system kernel crash. All of the fuse blocks in the manual look just like they do in the car, as Miweber929 said you're looking at the wrong fuse box.

Another thing to try is holding the power button on the audio system down for about 5 seconds to force it to shut down completely (the screen will go completely black except the clock and temperature). Then try to power it back up.

Still, it looks like a hard crash though so the power down/up might not work, maybe its a botched over-the-air update or you had some IC in the audio system go kaput. I've had a few updates pushed on my car and all I saw in the display, while the USB music was playing, was "updating" occasionally showing at the bottom of the screen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

This is an issue affecting 8" MyLink systems. There is an update for it. See bulletin here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb2wau05ts...adPdf.pdf?dl=0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Malibu 1LT
1.5T, 6T40, 2 wipers, 4 wheels, 8 cupholders, 16 valves, 32 thingamabobbers
Born 1/20/2016 in Fairfax, KS, Purchased 3/6/2016

RIP Chevrolet Cruze

Last edited by campb292; Today at 04:13 AM. Reason: updated old broken link
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
That is not an update going on, it look like an operating system kernel crash. All of the fuse blocks in the manual look just like they do in the car, as Miweber929 said you're looking at the wrong fuse box.

Another thing to try is holding the power button on the audio system down for about 5 seconds to force it to shut down completely (the screen will go completely black except the clock and temperature). Then try to power it back up.

Still, it looks like a hard crash though so the power down/up might not work, maybe its a botched over-the-air update or you had some IC in the audio system go kaput. I've had a few updates pushed on my car and all I saw in the display, while the USB music was playing, was "updating" occasionally showing at the bottom of the screen.
Quote:
...it look like an operating system kernel crash
I figured thats what it was. It says 'linux" at the top of the screen so I figured it must be Linux based.

Quote:
Tried that since my wifes buick encore sometimes takes a dump and warm booting seems to work.
The malibu screen is all black with no time/'temp until the linux screen comes up.

WE bought a 2016 tahoe at the same time as the malibu. According to that pdf bulletin update, it's affected as well.

Don't want to lose the GPS while out of town in the middle of nowhere.
The malibu has 4500 miles on it and the Tahoe has 4900.
Both warranties will run out by years rather than miles.

Last edited by Shstrang98; 02-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
.....maybe its a botched over-the-air update....
Do they send those out even though I don't subscribe to onstar?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:50 PM
CMF Senior Member

Campb nailed it, look at the TSB linked. It describes your situation exactly, the image of the screen in the TSB is identical to what you're experiencing.

As for over-the-air updates, GM can push those via the 4G network and you don't need an active OnStar subscription. I'm no data for my car and I had some new apps pushed on my car a few weeks ago. You can turn the feature on or off for OTA updates via the Settings icon in your dash screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in