Extended Service Plans - Opinions and experiences - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Question Extended Service Plans - Opinions and experiences

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2016 Malibu LS one month ago. Turned down the offer of an ESP at the time. Last four weeks the car has been back 2 times. Once the the "shift to park" issue and once for the gurggling coolant flow issue. Dealer fixed both. Now I'm wondering if the Malibu is fragile and I should consider some mechanical coverage.

Anyone have opinin. Any suggestions of where to buy? Dealer just offered me a 48 month 40,000 mile plan for $1,600.

Opinions greatfully accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:23 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Extended Service Plans - Opinins and experiences

the only extended warranty I'd consider is one from GM and that is the GMEPP...GMPP is from Ally Bank and others are aftermarket...my experience is there are so many loopholes or ways for the policy maker to deny a claim that most anything but the General Motors Extended Protection Plan (GMEPP) isn't worth much...

Bill
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 AM
CMF Senior Member

If you decide to go with extended warranty just stick to genuine GMPP....and remember you don't have to buy from the dealer where you purchased the car....use google and shop around...below are some examples.....and find the best price.......

GM Extended Warranty the direct GM Protection Plan (GMPP) source.

https://www.matickchevy.com/Warranty

https://www.hudiburgchevrolet.net/Protection

https://www.shaheenlansing.com/ProtectionDetails

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:32 AM
CMF Rookie Member

I won't tell how old I am but let's just say I have several "experience" discounts available to me when booking hotels. In my time on this rock, I have not purchased a single extended warranty on anything. Not one time. I have also never had a product/vehicle fail during said warranty period to an extent where whatever I've spent on a few minor repairs exceeded what I would have spent on the warranty. The vast majority of times, I've had zero failures. What I'm getting at is I've saved enough over my lifetime by not buying extended warranties to probably pay for my last vehicle purchase.

Like many things in life, it's a calculated risk. Those who have experienced the extremely rare cases where their vehicle purchase turned out to be a lemon will tell you to always buy the warranty. Their decisions and advice will be based on their experience and perception. Even though those cases are statistical anomalies, for those who experience it, it is very real and will shape their decisions. Then you have my experience and advice. You'll need to make your own decision.

Just remember, the companies that sell extended warranties would not stay in business if they had to pay more claim dollars than they take in in premiums... The statistics are always in their favor, not yours.
DrivenDaily and Gil like this.

2018 LT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks to everyone for your response.

I have heard various opinions from outside the forum and one thing everyone agrees about is buying the "warranty" from GM and not a third party.

Also I didn't realize I could buy from another dealer. I thought they all had to charge the same.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 AM
CMF Senior Member

GM Adds Optional Extended Warranty That Lasts up to Six Years

Too late for you but may help others when purchasing new vehicle:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-new-extended/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:21 AM
CMF Veteran Member

you can buy from anyone with the best price but remember, unless they changed their name again, GMEPP is GM and GMPP is Ally Bank...

you can buy from James E. Black Cadillac (they sell for all GM vehicles) or my go to guys since 2001, https://www.dennymenholt.com/MeetOurDepartments Ken Fichtner...both seem to offer the lowest prices in the nation and are legit...

Fichtner at Menholt is in Montana and I am in Chicago...I've never had an issue and my Chevrolet dealerships have always said "they can't sell for that price" and yet they have every time...good luck with your choice

Bill
DrivenDaily likes this.

Last edited by SilverSport; 05-20-2019 at 04:15 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
the only extended warranty I'd consider is one from GM and that is the GMEPP...GMPP is from Ally Bank and others are aftermarket...

Bill
Are you saying Ally is considered aftermarket and only buy GMEPP?

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.
Fairfax Plant Build Date, Jan 08

18 Equinox Premier AWD (Mine)
2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Ally is a bank and is not General Motors but is sold by many dealerships just as any other aftermarket warranty can be...GMEPP is General Motors and that's who would be covering your repairs...GMPP IS aftermarket, GMEPP is the General...

the above only applies for the last few years and into the future as the Generals previous coverage used the name that Ally now uses...

Bill
Lee likes this.

Last edited by SilverSport; 05-21-2019 at 04:31 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I find the GMEPP and GMPP stuff quite confusing thanks to the name changes and ongoing alterations. GM has even made changes recently that allow a new extension of the bumper to bumper warranty termed an "extended limited warranty" in addition to the service contracts (informally called extended warranties historically). When you refer to the GMEPP, is that the Protection Plans offered directly by GM like the Platinum and Silver Coverage here? Those aren't even underwritten or administered by GM. From that site:

Quote:
Vehicle Service Contracts coverage is provided and administered by AMT Warranty Corp., P.O. Box 927, Bedford, TX 76095, (877) 265-1072 (except in Florida, the obligor/provider and administrator is Wesco Insurance Company, 59 Maiden Lane, 43rd Floor, New York, NY 10038, [866] 327-5818, LICENSE #01913). GAP Coverage is provided by the dealer/creditor and administered by AMT Warranty Corp., (877) 265-1166. AMT Warranty Corp. and Wesco Insurance Company are GM-preferred providers but are not related entities of GM or its dealerships.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2016 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L
2018 F-150 XLT 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in