Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery icon on DIC Fuel Economy screen

20K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
I'm trying to determine the purpose of the battery icon displayed on the DIC fuel economy screen. We have a 2017 Malibu LT with the driver confidence and leather and convenience packages. See screen shot below. Please note: It is not a Hybrid

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have that icon as well but do not know what it's for either... I live in the Midwest and own a 17 LT. Convenience Package is needed for the color dash display. Take a look while driving (but don't stare too long and cause yourself an accident!) the bar will fill and decrease while reading instant MPG. The bar will fill and the battery will turn green when you take your foot off the gas and when you are slowing down. At that point your instant MPG will be "99" because you are still moving at the faster rate without the help from your engine. As soon as the bar fills the battery will turn green in color instead of white. I haven't take the time to do any research but I am sure something might be stated in the owners manual, if not the dealership might have an answer.

If anyone comes across the answer please share! I will scan through the manual later today.

#7 ·
Same here... This is everything i found in the manual (sorry for the small images, couldn't upload any larger) and nothing references the battery icon, just discusses the bar that fills according to instant MPG. However, while driving yesterday I did notice that the fan speed (while running the A/C) will change when the icon changes color. A higher fan speed calls for a faster rate of travel while coasting to turn the icon green. My guess is because the A/C and cabin fan is taxing the engine more? Still no clue on what the battery icon is stating.

Attachments

#8 ·
So I contacted the dealer today. They too couldn't find any documentation but believe it's related to the Auto Stop feature, which turns the engine off when standing still. They indicated the battery icon goes green when the fan motor, AC, etc are running on strictly battery power... Engine off. With the engine off fuel economy probably should go to 99 mpg (US), or 0 L/100kms (Canada), as indicated by retrott93. It seems plausible... I'll have to try it when my wife gets home with the car.

#9 ·
The above explanation is not accurate... Inconsistent with the behavior seen when I took the car out for a drive. The battery icon, on the DIC fuel economy screen, turns green when the vehicle is coasting or breaking and still has significant speed (>10kms/hr) and fuel economy has gone to 0 L/100km (or 99 mpg). Once the vehicle reaches a lower rate of speed (<10kms/hr) the icon goes back to grey. The icon is also grey when the Auto STOP feature turns the engine off. Unfortunately, I still don't understand the purpose of this icon

#11 ·
Pretty sure it's regenerative of a sort. Alternators produce a varying load on the engine depending on voltage output. Depending on battery state of charge you'll charge the battery more on coast hence green indicator. Torque converter will remain locked and injectors will shut down as you coast as well until a threshold is reached. Trying to find something official

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Slow response as I was researching this myself on the 2017 Malibu Lt. My guess is that since one of the features of the Malibu is the "low-speed front automatic braking", my guess is that part of what helps with that is that it uses some of the car's momentum to charge up the alternator or battery. Kind of how some cars have regenerative breaking? I don't know. That's my guess.

#14 ·
You have an issue but you haven't told us anything about the car you're driving. Please share that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.