"Cash for Clunkers" dilemma - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

"Cash for Clunkers" dilemma

Getting closer to pull the trigger ... then I hear about "cash for clunkers"...

Details here:
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...ar-buyers.html

Now I am considering waiting since I do have a 2001 Lexus that it seems like would qualify. I wish I knew how long it would take to pass such a bill and knew all the details now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: "Cash for Clunkers" dilemma

There are groups of auto enthusiasts that are fighting this legislation tooth and nail. I't not a good thing to have this legislation pass, it will hurt the car collector, hobbyist and purveyors of antiques and such. This legislation is a very POOR attempt from the government to clean up the enivornment, when this won't even make a scratch in it! SEMA is one of the largest groups completely against this and wants to protect the automotive hobbyists from being forced to junk and obviously good car that doesn't get driven much to be removed from polluting the air, this would affect more of the enthusiasts who have projects they are still in the works or are even drivers at best.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

I understand your point.

But even so if they do pass this as a law I want to take advantage of it and get my government money.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
CMF Veteran Member

I don't get it...I used to own a 93 Civic, that got excellent mileage by todays standards, so now I'd get 5000 for it and invest that into a Ford Flex with a 3.5 V6 or Toyota Highlander or Chevy Colorado????

Same goes for my mother's current car - 01 Sentra. That thing can hardly sell for 3500-4000 canadian.

This would make more sense if the list contained a small number of most efficient cars. If I was enticed to get into a Prius or Civic Hybrid or Yaris that would be more logical (although not entirely unquestionable). BTW, we had incentives like that on federal as well as provincial level....But that's gone now.

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto

Last edited by Yury; 03-27-2009 at 08:10 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Glow View Post
There are groups of auto enthusiasts that are fighting this legislation tooth and nail. I't not a good thing to have this legislation pass, it will hurt the car collector, hobbyist and purveyors of antiques and such.
That page didn't seem to say anything about having to sell your old car though?

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 PM
CMF Senior Member

You must understand this will target cars and trucks over ten years old and older. It's nothing more than a bunch of politicians who think they can clean up the air by getting rid of so called gross poluter cars and trucks, it's their way of enticing you to buy a NEW car for cleaner air, it's not a good pratice and several times over this has been voted down. Check out SEMA and the SANS Network, this is one of the groups that has been fighting this dilema for years, everytime it's brought up by a Senator or House of Representative who thinks they can help clean up the air. In fact even Hot Rod Magazine's Editor, Steve McDonald wrote a letter in the May issue of Hot Rod talking about this bill, check out www.hotrod.com on this or www.sema.com .

Dominogold, you'd get more money for your car on a trade in than this scrappage bill states what would be given to you just to scrap that car. Don't go relying on government for stupid stuff like this, it's a cop out rather than fix a situation that's cause by more factors than they want to admit to.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

The legislation I read said that you traded it in.... any car that is 8 years old... for a fuel efficient one. I have a 2001 Lexus SUV ... still running fine that I think would qualify.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
CMF Senior Member

How can I put it to you that this legislation is the worst idea brought about! Let me jut say it simply, people who are cash strapped and can't afford a more fuel efficient car has no choice but to get whatever they can afford. This will also hurt the hobbyist who collect and restore older autos since this bill means that any cars given to this cash for clunkers will end up being crushed, hobbyists don't want to see the availability of old cars or their parts to disappear, some seriously search for parts that no one reproduces. Beside this is a government sponsored bill, who the hell's gonna be paying for it?? Us the taxpayers and NOT the government!!! Think about that very hard before you stand behind something the government cooks up to supposedly help us better our lives or the environment.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Malibu Glow --- relax. Look, I don't make the laws! All I'm saying is IF this legislation does get passed, I would use it and cash in my 2001 car. I have not said anywhere I stand behind it at all. Honestly I could care less if it passes or not but I think anything that helps sell cars right now is probably a good thing.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 AM
CMF Senior Member

glow, i see your point, but the point of the bill is to push people and go get a new one, simple as that.
for example, i dont think theres a huge collector base for 96 blazers with 130,000 miles on them. my dad has one, and it is still in good shape (body wise) but its just getting old and wore out. the dealer will hardly give him anything on trade for it, so in his 'old school' thinking, he will just keep his moldy money it and 'run it into the ground', and buy when the blazer is dead.
where as my mom, and siblings are trying to tell him to give it up and get something new.

the long and short of it is this - he wont get anything worth while on trade for it, but if this bill goes through, he could get a bigger break and buy a new one.

as i said, i understand your point for the collector and hobbyist, and the people who cant afford. the thing is, i know a handful of people who CAN afford a new car, and the old one they are driving is OK, but theyd like to get rid of it, but just dont want to spend their $$$. so if they get a better deal on giving up their old one, theyll buy.

the collectors arent going to be going out and trading in their collector cars. But do you honestly think that someday people will want to be collecting:
2000 Cavalier with 155,000 miles, or
1996 Lumina with 133,000 miles, or a
1996 LeSabre with 100,000 miles?
And my list goes on with peoples cars i know that would like to get rid of the clunker.

No offense, but what cars are you afraid people will be trading in as a clunker thats going to hurt the collectors? Any car that would be turned in on the bill would be just as the bill says - a clunker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in