LTZ 4cyl vs 6cyl - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

LTZ 4cyl vs 6cyl

Considering a new LTZ for my wife to replace her aging '03 Monte Carlo SS. Lots of highway miles everyday on a rather treacherous road we in NJ like to call the Parkway. It's the Garden State Parkway to our visitors. Acceleration is important on that road, so I like to stick with 6 cyl engines or bigger (I'm also old, so bigger is better in my mind).

I was wondering what everyone thought of the 6cyl in the LTZ compared to the 4cyl. I don't know the difference in curb weights offhand, but I'm expecting a noticeable difference.

I'm also wondering about reliability of both engines. My experience with 4cyl motors is limited, but I'm consistent. I hated all of them I ever owned. I generally found them underpowered (like the '01 or '02 Sebring my wife had) and unreliable (going way back to my '85 Grand Am that popped two head gaskets in 100k miles).

Looking for some serious input as we are planning to spend a couple of days looking and probably purchase before the end of the month (October).

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:41 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: LTZ 4cyl vs 6cyl

The 4 cyl isn't that bad if you keep the rpms up. Of course, its not going to be as quick as the 6 cyl motor. I normally dislike small motors but I don't think the malibu is that slow, it quicker than the Buick Rainer.

Joe
2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Akrapovic, PC3, Schnitz Racing tune - 166hp
93 Z/28, 04 Buick Rainier AWD, '08 Chevy Malibu
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:24 PM
CMF Junior Member

I own the 6 cylinder LTZ and I drove someone else's 4 cylinder Malibu during a vacation and it was a bit scary a couple times merging onto high speed roads with the 4 banger. I really think the car is too fat for the 2.4L but if you don't mind really stepping on it you can adapt to it especially since I was getting about 24-25 mpg with the 2.4L and I get about 19-20 mpg with the 6 (and the six does prefer mid-grade gas). The torque steer with the 6 can be a bit interesting as well; especially up a hill.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM
CMF Rookie Member

If your getting an LTZ, then a V6 is the way to go. Now if the 4 cyl was turbo charged, then that would be a differwent story. But a V6 will always be better in the long run. Less stress on you & the engine to move a heavy car. Plus, a V6 will always have preferred better resale later should you want to depart with it. My LTZ has a build date of 10/26/09. It's my first Malibu & I've wanted one of these since they came out in it's current design. I hope to have it by my b-day on 11/11. It will be such a nice gift.

2010 Malibu LTZ/Fairfax/3.6L/Summit White/ebony-brick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's LTZ View Post
If your getting an LTZ, then a V6 is the way to go. Now if the 4 cyl was turbo charged, then that would be a differwent story. But a V6 will always be better in the long run. Less stress on you & the engine to move a heavy car. Plus, a V6 will always have preferred better resale later should you want to depart with it. My LTZ has a build date of 10/26/09. It's my first Malibu & I've wanted one of these since they came out in it's current design. I hope to have it by my b-day on 11/11. It will be such a nice gift.
A V6 may have better resale but you paid more for it up front and paid more for fuel all those years of driving it. So does it really pay off?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 AM
CMF Honorary Member

I like as much power as I can get, and when I test drove a 4 I thought it couldn't get out of it's own way. The 6 is much better, most tests show high 14's in the 1/4 mile which actually is very good for a sedan. I still wish it had another 25 hp or so.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 AM
CMF Veteran Member

V6 is the only way to go with this car, not light on the scales, the 4 banger is anemic
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM
CMF Rookie Member

hello everyone, im new on here , i have the 4-cylinder in my ltz with the 6 speed trans and its pretty quick
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM
CMF Senior Member

I would like to have two malibus one with a 4 and of course my 6.

http://

09 2LT Dark Gray Met.
Ebony Interior
3.6 V6 W/A6sp,tinted windows
chrome grill, painted bowties
front plate removed. Spoiler
sun roof, 18" rims
SS model
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's LTZ View Post
I recently went through a process of trading in a 08 3.6. Getting any kinda fair value was hard. One of the dealers mentioned that V6 is not a good trim to have, however 4s "sell like crazy". So...

I don't know if it's different from region to region. If the car buying population is more on the conservative side V6 may do ok, but here in Toronto, it's not quite the case. Every funky new design (like Nissan Cube, Kia Soul and of course a Smart car) generally can be found parked on a driveway within 1 mile area from where our place. Majority of newer midsize sedans are also 4 cyl. A fair bit of malibu's as well, per, say 5 or more of them only one is a V6. Same with Accords and Camrys.

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in