To Buy or Not To Buy: '08 Malibu Classic - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

To Buy or Not To Buy: '08 Malibu Classic

Hey All,

This is my first post on the board. Let me first say it's great to find a very dedicated forum to a car I'm thinking of buying - it's a tremendous show of confidence. It's also been good to troll around and discover what current owners think of their vehicle.

Anyways, to my question...

I've been used car shopping for the past few weeks, and a relative has brought my attention to his workplace, who are trying to sell off their fleet of vehicles. In it, there are a number of Malibus: from what I gather, they are '07 Malibus and '08 Malibu Classics. I've been able to gather that the Classics are "fleet" versions (I think just like the '07? Same model, new year?). Unfortunately, I don't have access to see the vehicles, nor has my relative had the opportunity to drive them. I'm thinking about getting one, because the price is rather good, and I know they have been treated decently over the past couple years.

My questions are pretty general: Should I buy one? Is it worth the risk getting it sight-unseen? What is the difference between the '07 Malibu and '08 Classic "fleet" vehicles vs. standard retail versions? Do I still have the same interior amenities, i.e. radio control from steering wheel, aux port for ipod hookup on radio.

It'd be great to find someone who has an '08 Classic, but I haven't been able to find anyone yet. You guys are the experts, so any advice/information would be so very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: To Buy or Not To Buy: '08 Malibu Classic

If you can afford it go to the new Malibu style. Much better car. I have an 08 LTZ with the 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed auto. Great car, gets good fuel mileage and is a fun car to drive.

Bill
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:07 PM
CMF Senior Member

too risky to buy something you can not see and touch. I would not do it, doesnot matter how cheap it seems. You can loose all your money.
You can browse carmax.com for their cars stock with similar model and find the ones with fleet record

2008 2LT White/Titanium, 4cyl/4spd
2016 Limited LT Black

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
CMF Junior Member

I'm pretty sure most but not all fleet models are 'Classics'. I got a former fleet vehicle ('09 1LT - new body style) but not a classic and be aware they generally won't come wired for OnStar.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Chevrolet calls the old model a "Classic" when they still make them for a short time after the new model has come out. Has happened with the Malibu and Silverado too.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in